Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by Joe Smith »

I once had Northeast described to me as the place K.C's white trash losers/criminals go home to when they get out of prison.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
Halt_I_Am_Reptar
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Halt_I_Am_Reptar »

So Joe, do you live in the Northeast area at all? Do you have any type of prolonged exposure to the Northeast other than somebody's hearsay opinion?

At this point in time the fact of the matter is that a valuable member of the community was killed. This could have very easily happened in Leawood or Mission Hills given the circumstances. It's a loss for the family and a loss for the community.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Halt_I_Am_Reptar wrote: So Joe, do you live in the Northeast area at all? Do you have any type of prolonged exposure to the Northeast other than somebody's hearsay opinion?

At this point in time the fact of the matter is that a valuable member of the community was killed. This could have very easily happened in Leawood or Mission Hills given the circumstances. It's a loss for the family and a loss for the community.
No, I don't live in Old Northeast or even new Northeast.

You?
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I live in the Old Northeast, and I've never been to jail or prison. I've never been arrested.
There is no fifth destination.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

I don't know Yuri, but I heard his music, moved to PH 5 years ago. Witnessed dramatic gentrification in that small time. Despite this tragedy and negative perceptions, things are (have been) moving forward. 

Go away Joe, there are more working to improve the area than tear it apart; don't attempt to denigrate the area  with anecdotal hearsay, especially now.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/03/26 ... ed-in.html

Parents, where are your KIDS??????????????
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Joe Smith wrote: I once had Northeast described to me as the place K.C's white trash losers/criminals go home to when they get out of prison.
Old Northeast is home to two of KC's most historical neighborhoods, Pendleton Heights and Scarritt Renaissance, where most of the urban pioneering/gentrification has happened. These neighborhoods were obviously a choice of KC's wealthy at one time, before they moved south/southwest. What's interesting is Northeast, and that era of housing, was much more socially integrated in terms of class and proximity. You can see this in small towns as well, where corners and preferred streets are flanked by huge Victorian's and interior blocks and side streets have tiny housing. Anyway, after that, Northeast has historically been the stereotypical working-class neighborhood of KCMO, much like south STL or Central Ave in KCK, where whites held on the longest. Only recently has the area slipped from being majority white as it transitions to mostly Hispanic. Many of the whites in that area moved to Independence, Clay County, etc. Many of the whites left are the most destitute, which is where the truth of what you heard about white-trash comes into play.

Anybody remember the Cops episode with the poor white family in a shoddy house where they had a pig living with them? That was Northeast.
Last edited by Stockton on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Northeast kicks ass. It's one of the few areas in this city where one can forget that one is in a sleepy, third-tier, midwestern burg. It's a lively, diverse, largely forgotten gem.

And for the record, white trash is a racial slur.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Halt_I_Am_Reptar wrote: This could have very easily happened in Leawood or Mission Hills given the circumstances. It's a loss for the family and a loss for the community.
Funny you should say that.  I googled mapped the address of the perps given in the article (~7200 N Jefferson).  They were from a typical KC suburb, maybe not Leawood but clearly the burbs.  Most people's insular view of crime generally includes the  scenario where an urban gang banger drives out to the burbs with a couple of friends to rob someone in a Dillards parking lot.  Just was the antithesis to that scenario; two suburban kids going into the urban core to rob somebody.

I guess I will never understand the criminal mindset that would prompt shooting a victim if they do not comply.  If they don't get what they are after, at the very worst they walk away empty handed.  Now they walk away empty handed and into life in a prison cell.   What a tragedy all the way around and a great loss to the neighborhood and city.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

phna wrote: I don't know Yuri, but I heard his music, moved to PH 5 years ago. Witnessed dramatic gentrification in that small time. Despite this tragedy and negative perceptions, things are (have been) moving forward. 

Go away Joe, there are more working to improve the area than tear it apart; don't attempt to denigrate the area  with anecdotal hearsay, especially now.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/03/26 ... ed-in.html

Parents, where are your KIDS??????????????

It's not anecdotal hearsay. I was lying through my teeth.

It's actually something I used to tell people.

Btw, my money is on Northeast kicking all your butts. It's obviously much tougher than you.

phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Joe Smith wrote:
It's not anecdotal hearsay. I was lying through my teeth.

It's actually something I used to tell people.

Btw, my money is on Northeast kicking all your butts. It's obviously much tougher than you.
Keep digging. But thanks for your bet.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdotal
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/hearsay
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Excellent choice! Teach them nor'easter's how to read and comprehend.

They gotta start somewhere.

redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by redperro »

some of the old timey northeasters are humm colorful folk'

the hispanic infusion is great, a convience store for every street corner makes beer runs in a walking distance

i was walking from chouteu, up st john til askew,i donno there are some problems, new housing, beautiful housing, and 3 or 4 houses boarded in a row, it is a very unique community with multple cultures living side by side, like it or not  :lol:

my favorite is the sheffield district tho, i like bennington ave, and the panaderia on 12 and fuller is da bomb, really friendly owner, kick ass pan(sweet bread)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A nice Youtube video promoting the Pendleton Heights neighborhood in the Old Northeast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYbzLyJx ... r_embedded
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Nice renovated house for rent at 502 Olive in Pendleton Heights.

http://www.postlets.com/rts/6865666
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Cute house, but they need to stone or brick veneer that concrete wall.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Lots of ugly retaining walls all over older parts of the city. And don't get me started on the rusting chain link fences.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Maybe someone could grow some ivy over it if it bothers them, if they keep it trimmed. Planters on the wall. I've not seen veneers age all that well all the time. Ha, rusty chain link fences sounds like home. I have one in the back yard i'm still trying to figure out. It's got a new coat of silver paint, so it could be worse. I don't remember seeing a lot of them when I lived in midtown, but NE always reminded me more of South St. Louis so it would make since that there are more up there, I guess.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Interesting article on the empty water reservoir in the Historic Northeast...

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=11619#more-11619
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Interesting article on the empty water reservoir in the Historic Northeast...

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=11619#more-11619
This is great. Thanks for sharing PS. I grew up near there and it was a great playground, but otherwise the origin and related story were missing.