Nelson-Atkins Expansion (YES..white glass is the end result)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

There may be another thread already on this subject, but I could not find it.

Anyway, the Star had an interesting article on the Nelson-Atkins Museum Expansion today with 20 or so photos on the construction.

http://www.kansascity.com/multimedia/ka ... /index.htm

I am alarmed by the photos of the building :shock: . The design, at least on those parts of the building shown in the photos, looks like it was selected from a Butler Manufacturing catalog. Honestly, the part of the building they featured in the photo that had the exterior walls intact looked more like the temporary buildings they move onto construction sites than a modern museum complex. I hope the Star photos just are not doing justice to the design or that it's too early to tell...but from what I have seen from the article, it doesn't look very good. The lawn of the Nelson-Atkins Museum, as it strectches out to the south towards Brush Creek, is really one of the most incredible parts of the KC urban landscape and I sincerely hope they don't screw this up.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'm afraid you have it pegged, Highlander. I saw the building over Labor Day weekend and I'm very afraid. I think it's going to be great at night, but during the day, Butler it is. Get out your hardhat.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

i also saw the pictures and it looks terrible. It looks like they just erected a warehouse next to the nelson.

hopefully we're proven wrong when we see the final product but so far I'm not very impressed
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

from some of the renderings it lools like there will be a a translucent/transparent skin on the building.... is that the skin? Or does the skin go over that structure? The southern portion that goes along the greens on the south of the museum look pretty cool (there's only structural concrete right now, but it looks interesting).
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

is it possible that the glass panels have a protective layer on during construction to be peeled off later..GAWD i hope so..this could be the biggest art flop ever! if not
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

What is everyone talking about?

Today's Star didn't have any real construction pictures where you got a feeling for what the expansin will look like. From the models and renderings...I really like what Holl has done.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

tk. go to the star's website, scroll down halfway. Click on the image slideshow and go throug the 20 pictures. See the half completed "building."

edit: here is the lin
http://www.kansascity.com/multimedia/ka ... /index.htm

it is photo number seven in the slideshow
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

What browser does it take to get the slideshow to even work? I've tried it on several and the page just sits reloading forever with no pictures ever showing up.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

i'm using safari (mac) and I've also gotten it to work on my internet explorer.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm running Internet Exporer/XP and it worked okay for me.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Holl’s concept envisions a slender, elongated design that runs some 840 feet along the Museum’s landscape. Much of the new building will exist below ground level; a series of galleries will connect by stairs and ramps; and five stunning, translucent and transparent glass structures will emerge from the space beneath, transforming the Kansas City Sculpture Park into what Museum Director and CEO Marc Wilson calls “an enchanted garden.â€
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

The things seen in the first pictures is what people are complaining about, i'm guessing they are temporary, or maybe they are structural (drywall go on them or something...???). The renderings from the nelsonatkins site (pics shown above) look really cool. Worry about it when it gets done (which it is far from being). So chill people.....(people are so quick to freak out i swear.... :wink: )
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

From everything I have read about this project the past couple of years, what's shown in those first pictures isn't remotely close to what the final product will look like.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ComandanteCero wrote:The things seen in the first pictures is what people are complaining about, i'm guessing they are temporary, or maybe they are structural (drywall go on them or something...???). The renderings from the nelsonatkins site (pics shown above) look really cool. Worry about it when it gets done (which it is far from being). So chill people.....(people are so quick to freak out i swear.... :wink: )
I suspect that is the actual exterior material shown in the pictures (as it matches some of the close-up photos they show elsewhere in the Star article) but it may be covered for protection. Once lighting is on inside the building, it also may look much better (particularly at night as noted earlier). But you're right, no reason to freak out now, they get the benefit the the doubt until the thing is complete.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

the article said that was the glass (covering) that was going up, didnt it? what other glass would they be talking about?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah i think that pic is of the preliminary "shell." it looks nothing like the renderings at all. i bet those "seams" between the window panels disappear before the final product is complete.

i think this is an amazing addition. think about how difficult it must be to come up with an addition to such a grand old bldg like the Nelson. you cant go beaux-arts because that would be too cheesy/similar. thus, the best option: stay quiet and unassuming and modern. the lenses wont detract from the splendor of the Nelson at all - merely add another layer of glory to the site (like the shuttlecocks do).

KC is really spoiled re: arts. the PAC and the Nelson are both going to be some of the best facilities in the world when they are done.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Read the story by Steve Paul about the Nelson-- it is EXCELLENT! It answers most of the questions that have been posed about the design of the structure, why it's taking so long, and how and why it will fit into the sculpture garden and lawn. This project is huge and is basically an architecture project that has never been done before so there are quite a bit of issues between the contractors, glaziers, and architects involved.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 820855.htm
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

I drive by this almost everyday and that is the actual glass shell. But the pictures don't do it justice. The panels are translucent and have an almost bluish glow. I'm also starting to think that there are going to be different styles of glass panels in rectangular sections somewhat asymetrically positioned. Did that make sense? It's hard to describe but it doesn't look like a Butler metal building in real life. I've watched this thing going up and even now it is still hard to visualize it finished. So I think waiting, rather than panicing, is in order.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I hope cds is right.....those pictures are horrible.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'm afraid the talk about what we now see on the expansion being covered and hidden by another layer is wishful thinking. The article in yesterday's Star makes it clear that the architects have been supremely interested in the smallest details of the appearance of the surface we now see. They were willing to argue with the glass installers and the engineers over whether the expansion space between the panels should be 1/4 or 5/8 inch (or some similar small difference). They were unhappy with the fact that the joining compound was too visible in places. These things really mattered to them because it would affect the appearance and the adherence of the finished product to the original vision. I really think that what we see is what we're going to get.