50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by warwickland »

Tosspot wrote: The Peanut as well as far as I know.

Kansas City history running in circles, as we can see.
man, i love that place. its such a shining beacon of neighborhood normality in the shadow of the plaza. i actually forgot about that place, I would have dropped by in my harried worl-o-wind kc tour.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

I don't know if somebody else said this or not but DST had bought all of the property around Accurso's and had made plans to redevelop the site into urban mixed use residential and retail.  All of the retail is to complement their investment at Kirkwood.  Anyway, they sold the property to another developer (Opus) and they are now trying to decide whether to move forward or not.  I've seen some renderings of what they are proposing.  I think at the 51st and Main corner the building would be about 2 to 3 stories high.  At the Baltimore side the building would be much taller (grade change).
The neighbors don't mind the plan primarily because it appears to fit with the scale of the neighborhood.  The Opus folks have been forthcoming and willing to listen.  I don't think anything will happen here for a long time.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Sorry you are very wrong on one point. Something will happen. They will tear down all the buildings. THEN the land will sit vacant. Because that's just what we do here.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Sorry you are very wrong on one point. Something will happen. They will tear down all the buildings. THEN the land will sit vacant. Because that's just what we do here.
I'm thinking this will happen.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Sorry you are very wrong on one point. Something will happen. They will tear down all the buildings. THEN the land will sit vacant. Because that's just what we do here.
DST is notorious for doing this.  Look at the vacant lot that used to be the Cabaret.  I'm amazed they were actually able to produce the building they did.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Spin is open and has been packed when I've driven by. Doesn't look like it'll be too much longer for Accurso's either...
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Cool, I'll have to check it out when I am in town this summer.  I suppose it is full of Hammerpress graphic design etc like the other locations?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Sure looked identical from what I could see. Now if they'd only open that pub in the old Double Dragon.
- Mark Twain
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Just got back from dinner at SPIN.  Very cool & spacious interior. Very similar to the one out south. Really dug the lights over the tables. They are just plain light bulbs hanging down and have some sort of gray "paint" covering top part of the bulb so as not to blast light right onto the tables. Right above the bulb are chrome bike sprockets going from small to large.  Floor is really cool too.  I assume some sort of "faux" bamboo.

Service & food was great. Lot's of folks checking in on us.

For selfish reasons, I really wish this went in where the Blue Grotto is in Brookside.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kucer wrote: Just got back from dinner at SPIN.  Very cool & spacious interior. Very similar to the one out south. Really dug the lights over the tables. They are just plain light bulbs hanging down and have some sort of gray "paint" covering top part of the bulb so as not to blast light right onto the tables. Right above the bulb are chrome bike sprockets going from small to large.  Floor is really cool too.  I assume some sort of "faux" bamboo.

Service & food was great. Lot's of folks checking in on us.

For selfish reasons, I really wish this went in where the Blue Grotto is in Brookside.
forgot to mention we went there last week. the wine situation is interesting, probably similar to the OP location: a full list of $18 bottles (certified by cellar rat!) plus a few featured wines by the glass. the 6" + salad is offered all day long (i think it's just a lunch thing at the other location). interior is chic and i like that the only entrance faces the f-ing street, where it belongs. kudos to whoever is responsible for that!

the accurso's space looks very nice, too. a massive improvement from the cramped dump down the street.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

There are WAY too many 16 year old working at Spin.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

We've been to SPIN a couple times now.  Pretty big crowd for Friday night dinner, which led to some service issues, but things were much better at a subsequent lunch.  A solid addition to the area and the prices are quite reasonable.  The space is very vibrant.

Oh, and we entered through the back door, which is closer to the parking lot.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I tried Spin last week and had the pesto chick pizza.  Was doable.  Reminds me of a pizza version of Panera.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I live by SPIN and pass by it on a regular basis.  But, I can't seem to visualize outdoor seating.  Is there outdoor seating?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Yes....there is a patio. Not huge but its there.
- Mark Twain
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Here is a pic of the stretch courtesy of the excellent 12th and Main blog.

Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Went to SPIN yesterday and took some out-of-towners from Wichita.  The new location is a more open feeling than the suburban location, but it is wonderfully finished and feels very "urban".  Our guests were very impressed with the quality of the food and also with the atmosphere of the new SPIN.  Great addition!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I had a chance to hit SPIN a few weeks ago and loved it. Really awesome open interior space and they have outside seating that will be wonderful when it finally warms up. The pizza was excellent - next time I'll have to have some wine with it. My wife really enjoyed the hummus platter. Seems like a great casual place to enjoy a nice gourmet pizza. Very diverse crowd too from families to middle-aged women sharing a pizza, to frat guys eating a pizza with a beer watching college basketball.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Ok the buildings are demolished so here comes all the development!

Accursos is back open, anyone been in the new locale yet?

I can't wait for all this development that is just bursting at the seams and ready to open on the now vacant lots!  &
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Ok the buildings are demolished so here comes all the development!

Accursos is back open, anyone been in the new locale yet?

I can't wait for all this development that is just bursting at the seams and ready to open on the now vacant lots!  &
I've been to the new Accurso's. Very nice open and airy space with plenty of outdoor patio seating. There are windows everywhere so you can do some good people watching from anywhere in the restaurant and there is a decent amount of pedestrian traffic in that area.  Interior is very sleek and modern. The tables are kind of packed together kind of tight, but I think most Italian places are like that. Decent bar area. And the food is still pretty good. I think this move will help them immensely, I had wanted to try the old locale for years but with no windows it wasn't all that welcoming.

So what is going in at the old Accurso's site? Looks like they're already working on it. Is that the British pub?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag