50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by horizons82 »

The H2 in the civil title is likely for Home2 Suites. So this thing is a dual brand like the Res Inn/Courtyard downtown. That would nullify it being a straight proto like shown above. I'd expect it to be something that melds architectural elements of both brands, likely with a fair amount of material change (brick?) to vibe with the nearby aesthetics. It's weird that elevations aren't shown with the site plans et al.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this may be addressed elsewhere - but what is up with all the hotel activity in KC in the last few years? who is staying in all these hotel rooms? has convention biz picked up, or is there something else driving it?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would say it was more about developers finally catching on there was opportunity downtown. When the Sprint Center made the list of the busiest arenas in the country I bet that's when all the planning begun.

Look at how many conventions moved out of town because they were using every hotel between downtown and Olathe.
Look at how few rooms there were and still are relative to the Sprint Center. We're just getting started on hotel space.

If we used every inch of space in the major downtown convention space at maximum capacity, and had two people per room, we would need 47,000 rooms available.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah KC metro has a lot of rooms for its size and a non-major tourist market, 30K-35K rooms depending on how measured but the city core is lower than it should be. We need more rooms in the core but may mean KC metro will become overbuilt. Might hurt metro hotels to point of closure that don't have a steady use but that's the nature of the city making a comeback. BTW, if I recall stats correctly from back during KC's golden years, there were about 30K hotels just between downtown/midtown. Those refurbed apts along Armour used to be mostly hotels. But KC was a major convention destination back then.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It certainly muddies the water comparing to today that many people lived permanently in a hotel room. I wonder how many of those 30k rooms would be called a furnished apartment now.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/36 ... -check-out
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote:Yeah KC metro has a lot of rooms for its size and a non-major tourist market, 30K-35K rooms depending on how measured but the city core is lower than it should be. We need more rooms in the core but may mean KC metro will become overbuilt. Might hurt metro hotels to point of closure that don't have a steady use but that's the nature of the city making a comeback. BTW, if I recall stats correctly from back during KC's golden years, there were about 30K hotels just between downtown/midtown. Those refurbed apts along Armour used to be mostly hotels. But KC was a major convention destination back then.
I am very okay with those hotels dying (and maybe also the suburbs).
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I see a lot of cowboys in cowboy boots marching around downtown. Lots of people from the country in MO and KS come to Kansas City for things at the Power and Light and for a trip to the city. That is who is staying in them hotels.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Darlene wrote:I see a lot of cowboys in cowboy boots marching around downtown. Lots of people from the country in MO and KS come to Kansas City for things at the Power and Light and for a trip to the city. That is who is staying in them hotels.
From where? Texas? People in rural MO and KS don't really even wear cowboy hats unless they are gong to a country bar.

I worked in downtown for 12 years and almost never saw cowboy hats. Pretty much never see them anywhere in metro KC at all, except maybe the airport. I don't see how things have changed that much.

And what does this have to do with 50th and Main? lol
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Somebody was asking who is coming to these hotels so I was answering that question. Well I did not say cowboy hats I said cowboy boots. Many people wear boots for there regular shoes. I see them all the time at power and light and the aquarium.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Whole Foods has cowboy hardhats half off!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

People should wear more cowboy hats. It’s basically the climate appropriate headwear for our environment in the summer.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

chingon wrote:People should wear more cowboy hats. It’s basically the climate appropriate headwear for our environment in the summer.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The hotel project is going to CPC tomorrow and there are renderings as part of the staff report.

It is indeed a Hilton Home2 Suites and Tru combo. The design looks more like Home2 Suites than Tru.

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yikes. I love the idea of a hotel at this location but would expect/desire something much more high-end than that H2 Suites.

Here's hoping for the best...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chingon wrote:People should wear more cowboy hats. It’s basically the climate appropriate headwear for our environment in the summer.
Skirts are the most appropriate fashion in this humid environ.....let the tucked parts breathe.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Looks like the owners of Banksia downtown are opening two new spots in the old Larkburger and Elly's (sp?) - one featuring an expanded menu of their current operation and another with Chinese BBQ, noodles, etc.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 50548.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hope they have more success in that location than Elly's/Larkburger, which were both just OK. And would be nice to see soup dumplings on menu (the opposite of dumpling soup).

Referring a few posts back, was the Home2 Suites project killed? The neighborhood did oppose it. Hopefully it's dead but wonder if something else in the works.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

earthling wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 pm Jonathan Justus' Black Dirt finally open...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 78374.html
And now it's closing. https://www.thepitchkc.com/black-dirt-is-closing/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

longviewmo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm
earthling wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 pm Jonathan Justus' Black Dirt finally open...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 78374.html
And now it's closing. https://www.thepitchkc.com/black-dirt-is-closing/
Dang. Never got to try that place. Kind of surprised, thought it would fit in well in that neighborhood. I read some good reviews especially regarding the food (not so much the ambiance).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I suggested to Jonathan Justice years ago about targeting Xroads with a vision for an Xroads James Beard District but maybe his investor lived closer to 50th/Main and wanted it to be there. Hope he can come up with a new concept and find an investor. I do think he would do consistently well in Xroads.