50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I noticed some work going on at the gravel lot on the NE corner of 51st and Main. It was dark when I went by so I couldn't get a sense of what was happening. Anyone know? I'm afraid it may just be a parking lot.
i overheard something was happening here, but don't recall the details. no permit activity for 5051 main, which is the address the parcel viewer provides. the adjacent parcel (5041) is now owned by community america credit union and they have a commercial tenant finish permit from late october. i fear 5051 will indeed be a surface lot.

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 9&jur=KCMO
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A surface lot would at least be a sideways move rather than backwards (was an old gas station if I recall), and cleared for later development. With the momentum this stretch is getting, am optimistic that prime location will attract a developer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

beautyfromashes wrote:Black Dirt symbolic for death? New Missouri bridge might be built before it opens.

Yeah, whatup?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I know that Community America has plans for a south Plaza branch near 51st/Main (in addition to a new branch in the Crossroads) - I guess that would be the answer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

CA not exactly a boost for the neighborhood as banks don't tend to include streetfront retail, but this stretch is sort of a mini financial district. The US Bank building upgrade didn't add retail either, missed opportunity. UMB could too with a nice corner patio within the greenspace. Hopefully something better for such a prime location.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote:I know that Community America has plans for a south Plaza branch near 51st/Main (in addition to a new branch in the Crossroads) - I guess that would be the answer.
in the old meers advertising space on walnut?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Old Modern Salon Tu space. Tore off the front of the building and are currently putting in metal beans up two stories.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Jonathan Justus' Black Dirt finally open...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 78374.html
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

That chain is aggressively mediocre.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

JBmidtown wrote:That chain is aggressively mediocre.
Mediocre is kind based on my only experience at the one in the Crossroads. How can you mess up tacos? Even bad ones should be decent, but not my experience.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I have enjoyed it. But sure, there are better tacos many places.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote:I have enjoyed it. But sure, there are better tacos many places.
I was just there once, and at least one of my tacos tasted like they forgot to put the lid on the salt shaker. Another was so dried out, it was like they left it under a heat lamp for a few hours. I'm willing to give it another shot, I guess. It did look like they had a decent mezcal selection.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've only been once, I thought it was OK. Aggressively mediocre seems maybe a little harsh, but not by much.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Went once and the beef in my taco was shoe leather. One of those situations where you try everything not to spit it out. The universal choking sign and hymlic was almost employed.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There are some new docs in the KCMO Development tracker for a 5 story, 151 room hotel on about half of the large parking lot NW of 50th and Main. At least, I'm assuming it is a hotel. I don't see that explicitly stated in the docs and I don't see any indication of the flag.

Docs:
http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/29763

It's too bad they couldn't have done a development for the whole parking lot. Hopefully the gravel lot behind the Peanut gets a proposal next.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:There are some new docs in the KCMO Development tracker for a 5 story, 151 room hotel on about half of the large parking lot NW of 50th and Main. At least, I'm assuming it is a hotel. I don't see that explicitly stated in the docs and I don't see any indication of the flag.

Docs:

It's too bad they couldn't have done a development for the whole parking lot. Hopefully the gravel lot behind the Peanut gets a proposal next.
Or the corner NE corner of 51st and Main. Unfortunately, the vacant Visitation parking lots will be there until Jesus returns.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:There are some new docs in the KCMO Development tracker for a 5 story, 151 room hotel on about half of the large parking lot NW of 50th and Main. At least, I'm assuming it is a hotel. I don't see that explicitly stated in the docs and I don't see any indication of the flag.

Docs:

Based on one of the documents: H2 Tru KCMO Civil.pdf, my guess is this flag: http://tru3.hilton.com/en/index.html .
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Good catch. I tried googling H2 Tru but didn't come up with anything.

So Tru is Hilton's brand aimed and younger people. I guess Trill was taken.

All of the images/renderings I am seeing of Tru hotels look fairly consistent (and not good). Here is an example of a 5 story one (although it is only 92 rooms):
Last edited by KCtoBrooklyn on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Wow! That’s bad!