50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

50s/Main development

Post by ignatius »

Whatever happened to the 50s/Main development that DST proposed? They bought several properties on that strip and intended to provide local amenities to the residential development in the area. Cabaret was closed as a part of those plans. Haven't seen anything since or maybe I missed something.

Anyone know the scoop?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

50s/Main development

Post by KCTigerFan »

That development and Kirkwood Circle are one in the same. It is a phased development. The high-rise and low-rise development on the West side of the property is the first phase and is under costruction now. Phase 2 extends to Main Street.

http://www.kirkwood.cc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

50s/Main development

Post by dangerboy »

Acording to the map on the Kirkwood site, that develop stops at 50th Street, with Phase II located on the north end of their property. Cabaret was on the south side of 50th.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

50s/Main development

Post by KCTigerFan »

Yeah, you are right Dangerboy. I do remember hearing that Cabaret was purchased by DST though. Hmmm.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

50s/Main development

Post by ignatius »

I was under the impression that the Kirkwood development would not go streetfront to Main. I was thinking retail would be built along Main with residential behind it. I hope it's the latter. A waste of retail opportunity to serve the neighborhood if the former.
kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

50s/Main development

Post by kc_devotee »

The staff at Accurso's told me that there is still a plan to redevelop the retail on that street...and that they may temporarily move. I don't think its all done--I would look for the old Cabaret building to be razed eventually...and the fire station is moving too. Funny how lots of money can do that. I have always found that to be a great street, particularly in the old days when Milgrams and the lesbian bar Billie Jeans were there...once it was the home of three gay bars, Billie Jeans, the Cab and a place called Frisco (now the Double Dragon). Fuck I am getting old!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

50s/Main development

Post by dangerboy »

kc_devotee wrote:and the fire station is moving too. Funny how lots of money can do that.
The South Plaza fire station is being combined with the Wesport station into a new station at 43rd and Broadway. KCFD wants a bigger, more modern station to serve the combined area. I don't think this is due to any developer wanting the South Plaza station.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

50s/Main development

Post by staubio »

dangerboy wrote:
kc_devotee wrote:and the fire station is moving too. Funny how lots of money can do that.
The South Plaza fire station is being combined with the Wesport station into a new station at 43rd and Broadway. KCFD wants a bigger, more modern station to serve the combined area. I don't think this is due to any developer wanting the South Plaza station.
I hope that doesn't signal the destruction of the two existing stations. Those are cool buildings. I'd love to do something with an old fire station.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by Thaine »

The city swapped the old fire station on Main at about 50th or so with DST for the land to build the new fire station on in Westport. 

Today I saw 3 guys with plans looking over this development.  Not hard to imagine they were Owner-Architect-General Contractor.  Looked like pretty serious guys.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I've heard Accurso's will be going in the old fire station (after renovation, of course), at least temporarily.  Their old building along with the buildings up to the corning (old drug store) will be taken down as part of the new development.  They were also trying to purchase the Peanut, but, I haven't heard if that actually was going to work out.  Perhaps, all this will start once the new fire house is completed in Westport. 
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

staubio wrote:

The South Plaza fire station is being combined with the Wesport station into a new station at 43rd and Broadway.  KCFD wants a bigger, more modern station to serve the combined area.  I don't think this is due to any developer wanting the South Plaza station.

I hope that doesn't signal the destruction of the two existing stations.  Those are cool buildings.  I'd love to do something with an old fire station.
I love old fire stations that are converted to new uses (though it often isn't cheap).  In Wichita, Jet BBQ moved to an old fire station (built in the 20s, I believe).  At current, he runs it as drive through only, but I love the space and I believe it could provide a great atmosphere to fulll restaurant or a club/bar.

Later,
Sam S.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

So basically DST is totally destroying any history this area has had and is starting new?  That's real nice.  Good company this is.

I don't like this one bit.  Why can't they keep what's there and add on to it.  No reason at all for Accurso's and the Peanut to be demolished.  I really like this part of town and all it needs is a little help.  No need to start with a fresh slate.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

What do you propose to do?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

macnw wrote: What do you propose to do?
I think his general idea is to...uh...not tear down perfectly viable and useful older buildings. Seems pretty obvious doesn't it?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Clyde North owns the Peanut building and he's stated publicly that DST is going to have to pay him mountains of cash to buy him out.  I think the Peanut is staying.

The fire station isn't the Victorian type that you might envision if you think of old fire stations.  It looks like maybe a 50's to 60's design.  I'll still miss it.  I walk by there with my 5 yr. old son and they always invite us in and let the boy climb on the truck and stuff.  They invited us in for grilled burgers and brats one time.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Tosspot wrote: I think his general idea is to...uh...not tear down perfectly viable and useful older buildings. Seems pretty obvious doesn't it?
So, just because you think buildings should not be torn down, they will survive because of your desire? If only the developers gave a rats ass what you thought. It will take more than just wanting.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

macnw wrote: So, just because you think buildings should not be torn down, they will survive because of your desire? If only the developers gave a rats ass what you thought. It will take more than just wanting.
What does that matter, as was already noted, the owner isn't interested in selling. It's always disheartening to see and hear people piss and moan about all the building stock we've lost but then pass off excuses as to why current buildings shouldn't be bothered to keep around.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Thaine wrote: The fire station isn't the Victorian type that you might envision if you think of old fire stations.  It looks like maybe a 50's to 60's design.  I'll still miss it.  I walk by there with my 5 yr. old son and they always invite us in and let the boy climb on the truck and stuff.  They invited us in for grilled burgers and brats one time.
I don't think they are planning to tear down the fire station.  They are going to convert it into a restaurant and Arccurso's will be moved there.  What I don't know is if once the old Arccurso's is torn down and replaced if they will move back in to the new development there or just stay in the converted fire station.  I would guess they would just stay.  There was a model of the development in the window of the old drug store on the corner.  Not sure if it is still there, or not.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

macnw wrote: What do you propose to do?
I'm not saying I have that answer.  There are different ways that we could go about enhancing this area.  This is not to say that what DST has in plan won't be grand.  I just really wish they wouldn't tear everything down, especially since much of it is useful.  This area has a soul, and DST is trying to kill it.
Tosspot wrote: I think his general idea is to...uh...not tear down perfectly viable and useful older buildings.
Indeed.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

All I'm trying to say is its going to take more than commenting on forum, take some friggin action if you want the buildings saved. I'm not commenting on the building stock one way or another. If you live in KC, you can do something, if the buildings mean that much to you. :?