50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by earthling »

flyingember wrote:it's in a bad spot for anything less than the rave about best. it takes more driving knowledge and interest to not go down Wornall or Brookside, especially since Main is not a through street for that segment. and who can survive as a neighborhood destination next to the Plaza. Too much competition.

the perfect restaurant for the area is positioned for students to want to frequent it. because if they want to go, it becomes a spot

50th and Main needs something way more "airy" than a tavern.
^There are many restaurants in 50th/Main area that do well and have been around a long long time. That particular spot hasn't had good success but it's probably just about food and feel of place. I tried last two places once but wasn't good enough to go back. The last one tried too hard, overly complicated - tried to be a Plaza restaurant. Also didn't have a good 'hangout feel' for a B&G. They need to redesign the place a little and make it more comfy or something.

51st/Oak needs to cater to UMKC. This spot could cater to entire Bside/Plaza/UMKC area residents. Needs to have a better neighborhood feel, not try to be a metro destination restaurant. 51st/Main area is a good un-Plaza non-chain altie spot for those who don't want Plaza chains. It could use more ethnic eats like Thai, Ethiopian, Indian or contemp Asian fusion like Blue Koi. These are very big on the coasts and many who live S Plaza to Bside are either from the coasts or lean more adventurous eaters and seek that.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Eggstc and Mixx are always packed, Il Centro does very well, and that Planet Sub seems to be doing well. The location is not the problem.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCMax wrote:Eggstc and Mixx are always packed, Il Centro does very well, and that Planet Sub seems to be doing well. The location is not the problem.
SPIN, Glace, Andres, Minskys, Chipotle are all doing well in that area. It's not the location.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Here is an update of the mixed use building going in at 51st and Main street. So far things are looking very good and it is coming along pretty quickly. This will be a huge addition to the neighborhood. Can't wait to see the final product!

View of northern half of block. Building seems to be about as tall as it will be on the northern half. Sadly, as I want to see it keep growing!
Image Image

What appears to be the front door, and the view from 51st and Main:
Image Image

View of southern half of block, and sidewalk view along 51st street:
Image Image

Views from Baltimore:
Image Image

Sidewalk view on Main and sidewalk view on Baltimore:
Image Image
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

awesome
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Van Tuyl to buy US Bank bldng at 4901 Main to rehab or tear down and build new.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

moderne wrote:Van Tuyl to buy US Bank bldng at 4901 Main to rehab or tear down and build new.
A great bookend to his (former) Plaza Vista debacle.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote:Van Tuyl to buy US Bank bldng at 4901 Main to rehab or tear down and build new.
New construction in this corridor should be required to include ground-floor retail. This is a great opportunity to expand on the walkability of the area which has been on the uptick the last few years.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

I hope this building isn't torn down. I actually like it fairly well. It addresses the street nicely (at least on Main) and could totally have ground floor retail. There is potential with this building.
dave_burgermeister
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dave_burgermeister »

I was a cashier at CVS on 50th and main, the past 2 years. Seems like everyone in the metro checks out that area of the plaza, and a out of towners, talked to people from everywhere in and out of the us, brazil, Bronx, ny, everywhere. Even steven tyler of aerosmith went to buy some q tips there, also I sold tommy chong some cdrs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dave_burgermeister wrote:also I sold tommy chong some cdrs.
:lol:
dave_burgermeister
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dave_burgermeister »

^He talks like a stoner in real life too,,, "You got any cd's, man?"
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Interestingly, this building has already been listed on an apartment website called AreaVibes. It has 620 Sq. ft. studios listed for $1095! Also has 1000 sq. ft. 1 bed/ 1 bath in the $1500-$1900 range and 1300 sq. ft. 2 bed/1 bath in the $2300-$2600 range! They have listed a special 2 bed/1 bath with a study that is 1627 sq. ft. and going for $3095...

I had never heard of this site before, but this is interesting to say the least. They have a couple renderings I hadn't seen of the building before too. I wonder if these listings are based in reality or if they are just pulling people's legs. Those are some pricey apartments! That's like Chicago prices.

I figured this building would be marketed toward college kids or freshly graduated, entry level people.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

50th and Main is right in the area of some of the most expensive places to live in the city. there's no way it was ever going to be cheap

Plaza South has long been gentrified and then some.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, this has always been described as a "luxury" apartment development. I do think there is a shortage of true luxury apartments as most of the nicer buildings are condos - but I wonder if demand will be strong enough to keep this large building consistently full. Perhaps they plan on capturing the retiring and downsizing Sunset Hill and Brookside crowd.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Yea and the apartments and houses surrounding this development are full of many college kids too. It may be slightly upscale, but only slightly. This will no doubt be the most expensive apartment in this part of south plaza. Maybe not more expensive than kirkwood or the apartments just south of Ward Parkway, but in this part of south plaza it will be a difference maker. I think it will definitely be good for the area if these apartments are filled, just not what I expected.

Agreed, this seems like it is intended for the downsizing Sunset Hill crowd. The Country Club crowd.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There is a lot of money in the neighborhoods just south of Visitation and west of Wornall. Plus, the Walnuts. It's more of an indicator of the direction that neighborhood has been going in, rather than a catalyst.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i love that the AreaVibes listing touts the apartments' "Simulated Wood Plank Floors."

yeah, not really a justification for the prices, folks.

i dont know what they rent for now, but the apartments behind the peanut, etc. on Baltimore or whatever have always been super cheap. one of my friends lived in a 2-bed for like $550, although that was about 8 years ago. but hey, it had actual wood floors!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Save our Trees!