Southmoreland

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Southmoreland

Post by earthling » Fri May 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Maybe time for Southmoreland to have its own thread, which includes Nelson Museum and KC Art Institute.

Ragazza moved to 43rd/Main and has become a hotspot centerpiece of neighborhood. The upper floor of building is being converted to apts.

Tree Haus Cafe (THC) is opening this summer a couple doors down. CBD infused coffee house...
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 0af04.html

YUM bakery opened about a year ago around corner from the Segway Tour and Laundromat. Roasterie Cafe also arrived maybe 2 years ago.

The Phoenix Herb company moved from Ragazza building to near old Thriftway and the Thriftway spot has some activity.

MET Ensemble Theatre moved to the Warwick Theatre within the last year.

KC Art Institute has a new student housing building under construction.
https://www.kcur.org/post/kansas-city-a ... -state-art

According to Google Maps, Mill Creek Park and the American Century stretch of buildings are part of Southmoreland boundaries. Is that the case?

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Southmoreland

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 pm

I’d love for the Southmoreland streetcar stop to be called ‘Museums’ with the Kemper and Nelson being in walking distance. I’d also like a wealthy donor to buy the white building (old H&R Block) on Main and turn it into a modern advertising museum with the Bernstein Rein collection as the centerpiece. Let me dream.

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by missingkc » Sat May 25, 2019 5:24 am

Or a rotating selection of the Nelson's photography collection?

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon May 27, 2019 11:11 am

beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 pm
I’d love for the Southmoreland streetcar stop to be called ‘Museums’ with the Kemper and Nelson being in walking distance. I’d also like a wealthy donor to buy the white building (old H&R Block) on Main and turn it into a modern advertising museum with the Bernstein Rein collection as the centerpiece. Let me dream.
The existing MAX stop at 45th is called "Art Museums" and that streetcar stop will retain the name. 43rd might be called "Southmoreland".

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes » Mon May 27, 2019 11:29 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:11 am
beautyfromashes wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 pm
The existing MAX stop at 45th is called "Art Museums" and that streetcar stop will retain the name. 43rd might be called "Southmoreland".
I’ve never noticed it call Art Museums. That’s cool! Does it show that on the maps too? I always thought it was just by street crossing. Please don’t call 43rd Southmoreland. Those people already want to claim all of Midtown. It will just go to their head. Call it ‘Art Institute’.