Proposed tower on Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Proposed tower on Plaza

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Event space? Would be a great location, right on 47th
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 am Outside of the intersection at Westport Rd/SW Trafficway - and the speeds on the Trafficway, I really don't see any persistent or growing problems. Sure, there's more traffic, but there are exponentially more things to do. It's kind of why we wanted all of this stuff to happen, right?
Plaza needs to reinforce the concept that pedestrians come first and have priority. It's not a motorcycle race track or amusement park for doing wheelies and donuts, and it's not a cruise strip for hydraulics contests, engine revving, horn honking and peeling out performances. Also Roanoke is a mess. Just saw a three car collision-accident there a few hours ago at the 45th and Roanoke St intersection. No injuries but much vehicle damage. Of course navigate the Quick Trip area at your own risk. Especially during peak hours.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

If not a restaurant, how would you reuse it?
I think the ideal use would be purchase by one of these modern day hipster churches that is currently in a former retail (or performance, aka El Torreon) space. Ex. The Cause Church just west of here at 47/Belleview. I do in fact love their big picture window facing Belleview (artistic cross design) and the fact that the church goers provide activity at that intersection on a regular basis.

Or if not church, one of the other trending uses of empty urban space which proves otherwise unleasable - event space, or co-working!

I do agree with others that the church building itself would be a fairly major loss. It contributes to the plaza architecturally by virtue of its buff brick and tile roof, and is a nice reminder of Plaza as mixed-use neighborhood rather than mall. And there really are other more suitable (though maybe not available) under-utilized lots like 47/Madison, 47/Main (KCATA), former Colonial Apartments, lot north of Lockton etc.

That said, I love the design of the conceptual tower. Torn here. Wish we could have nice things without the wrenching feeling of ripping out another piece of historic built environment. Throw another 10 stories on there and the pain would subside, for me.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'm torn as well. It's definitely a throwback to the Plaza of the past. But on the other hand, it's not even the nicest church on that block. And more people living in the city is generally a good thing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

snigglefritz wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:42 pm Regardless of ACTUAL historical nature of the church, don't the landowners need to either consent or object to a third party's petition for historic status? At least w/ regard to the National Register, the committee is not allowed to designate over the owner's protests. Does this type of limitation also apply to the KCMO historic registration process?
Yes, you have to have the owner's consent. Historic KC cannot force a building on the Historic Register. However, they can do the research and prepare the nominating paperwork.

Even if a building is placed on the National Register, it does nothing to protect it from demolition. Being on the Register only gets acknowledgement that the building is historic; maybe gets a local plaque; and makes it eligible for federal and state historic tax credits to help reduce the cost of restoration/renovation. The last part is the significant part, and usually the only reason an owner might be interested in getting their building listed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I really hate this development for many reasons: the design is uninspiring, tearing down a building with character, so many other better locations and doesn’t keep with the character of the Plaza. I could name 10 locations that would be better.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:33 pm I would like to see this project more across the street from Winstead's.
A little somethin' working over there already!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

And yet this parcel sits undeveloped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.042669, ... !1e3?hl=en
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

^I think Price just bought that. If so don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. I think they bought the Lockton tower as well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The transaction must not have been completed yet, or the title information has yet to update because the city's parcel viewer says Highwoods still owns it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:55 pm The transaction must not have been completed yet, or the title information has yet to update because the city's parcel viewer says Highwoods still owns it.
The parcel viewer can run months behind.