Keystone Innovation District

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
snigglefritz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Keystone Innovation District

Post by snigglefritz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:47 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=84298891

Not sure whether McGinnis' 2015 pitch to KC Rising was talked about here but this sounds like an interesting concept if he can get it off the ground.

horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Keystone Innovation District

Post by horizons82 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm

This sure seems like it lines up with what KCATA was looking for for their site (bold, dense, etc). Would not be surprised to see it go there.

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by missingkc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I read the article. From the description, I don't see anything being proposed that is new and different. Seems like it's all being done by a number of other players in KC. Am I wrong? I guess the concept includes a campus with some ancillary functions like a little retail, but the Crossroads already provides that for the entrepreneur support options in the area.

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by missingkc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm surprised this initiative isn't generating more discussion here. Maybe it's because it's currently conceptual and not bricks and mortar.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by chaglang » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:03 am

It seems like a good idea but to your point it’s all aspirational right now. That and entrepreneurial buzzwords push the needle on my b.s. detector into the red.

In practical terms, it being connected to the 18th and Vine area makes me a little more skeptical of its success than I ordinarily would be.

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by missingkc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 am

This is being described as a new thing for KC, but it seems to me that what he's proposing is what the Crossroads already is. Sitting on the edge of the Crossroads as described, it's not going to function as a stand-alone effort. It could certainly bring some added energy and maybe beef up some piece of the entrepreneurial puzzle like educational opportunities, but it's not going be a thing unto itself. It seems to me he's just bringing some ideas from other cities back to KC's existing Innovation District.

rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by rxlexi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, this could become something interesting but right now sounds like vapor and buzzwords. Would like to see something more concrete; downtown could use an infusion of STEM space.

Probably the best example of a successful "innovation district" in the region is CORTEX in midtown STL. However, it has been a 15 year process and has partners in Washington University and anchor biotech firms, and proximity to SLU. And it is still a work in progress, more office park than exciting urban enclave. Assuming "keystone" aspires to something similar.

WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WSPanic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm

rxlexi wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am
Yeah, this could become something interesting but right now sounds like vapor and buzzwords.
I disagree. I think they can cultivate a lot of synergy with a bricks-and-clicks model that is e-enabled for collaborative growth strategies.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by chaglang » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm
rxlexi wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am
Yeah, this could become something interesting but right now sounds like vapor and buzzwords.
I disagree. I think they can cultivate a lot of synergy with a bricks-and-clicks model that is e-enabled for collaborative growth strategies.
# =D> # :lol:

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:14 am

Proposed city resolution would give $900K to new innovation district
Kansas City Councilman Jermaine Reed wants the city to support the proposed innovation district inside the 18th Street corridor in a big way.

Reed sponsored a resolution that asks the city manager to negotiate a three-year agreement with Keystone Community Corp. and identify $900,000 in funding to support planning, designing, managing and consulting services for the district.

Kevin McGinnis, who's spearheading the innovation district efforts, formed nonprofit organization Keystone Community Corp. to manage the district, which aims to bring density and scale to innovation and entrepreneurship. An exact location hasn't yet been announced, but the district spans portions of the 3rd and 4th Council Districts and will connect the 18th & Vine Jazz District to the Crossroads Arts District.

https://tinyurl.com/y84okvco

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:01 am