"Tower East"

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: "Tower East"

Post by warwickland »

tower east is better than SOHO or similar variation. hopefully that thing has passed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcjak wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am Martini Corner was used well before The Drop came around. When I first moved to KC in the early '90s, Velvet Dog was one of the first area bars to latch on to the martini craze. There was literally nothing around that area at the time.
Yep, thinking about it again, that seems right. Velvet Dog was definitely much before the Drop. Someone should rebirth a bar with the name and spirit of Velvet Dog. I have so many good memories and feelings about that place.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 pm Names like that can take, and last for decades. I like Martini Corner because it came from something specific locally as opposed to calling a neighborhood "The East Village," and sort of stealing it from another city for place-making purposes. What is called "The East Village" neighborhood here was once called Happy Hollow, and I think that is a perfectly-fine historic name that should have been used.
Meh. The terms Downtown, Midtown and Uptown were also stolen from NYC neighborhoods. I'm sure that if people don't like the term east village once it takes off, Developers and business owners will rebrand it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Was there another "Martini" bar in Tower's space - maybe before Dragon Fly? I can't remember. The moniker just seemed odd to me as there was only one martini bar and it grew to be more than one corner. Not a big deal and it's certainly better than nothing.

The early days of Velvet Dog and Liquid Lounge on the Blvd (Cafe Gratitude space) were fun. I mean, I'm glad Swing is dead again, but those two places were about as "new" and "cool" as KC got back in the mid 90's.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Every time someone brings up Velvet Dog, it brings back good memories. "Martini Corner" branding surely came about do to the original Dog and the former Empire Room across the street, maybe also Cafe Trocadero, which was located where Tower Tavern is. In the early/mid 2000s those were pretty hip spots.

I loved the area back then, but rarely go out there now. Like Tower Tavern a lot, but would love to see some new ownership, new (good) concepts (i.e. not generic Brickhouse, Ollies, etc.), additional storefronts etc. Seems like it has been stale for years, though then again I rarely go.

Should be a total hotspot; downtown adjacent, with potential views, a large performance space in El Torreon, surrounding hood that is building up, etc. Maybe streetcar changes the dynamic.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Two different business owners in the area have told me there are plans to turn the El Torreon into a nightclub with dining, entertainment and dancing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ I doubt this, but it turns my stomach to think about.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:18 am Every time someone brings up Velvet Dog, it brings back good memories. "Martini Corner" branding surely came about do to the original Dog and the former Empire Room across the street, maybe also Cafe Trocadero, which was located where Tower Tavern is. In the early/mid 2000s those were pretty hip spots.

I loved the area back then, but rarely go out there now. Like Tower Tavern a lot, but would love to see some new ownership, new (good) concepts (i.e. not generic Brickhouse, Ollies, etc.), additional storefronts etc. Seems like it has been stale for years, though then again I rarely go.

Should be a total hotspot; downtown adjacent, with potential views, a large performance space in El Torreon, surrounding hood that is building up, etc. Maybe streetcar changes the dynamic.
I think Ollie's has evolved into a good neighborhood place. Eddie Crane is a good owner, IMO - and has done a good job with the atmosphere, saturday afternoon music and brunch. I'm also very happy with Tower's ownership and how they maintain their staff and identity as a cool place while still being a sports-centric bar. It's not as easy as one would think to find a decent spot to watch a game. And their wings are as good as Peanuts IMO. Their entire menu is actually good.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

moderne wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 am Two different business owners in the area have told me there are plans to turn the El Torreon into a nightclub with dining, entertainment and dancing.
that's basically what all the XstraightedgeX hardcore shows that i went to there were.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

moderne wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 am Two different business owners in the area have told me there are plans to turn the El Torreon into a nightclub with dining, entertainment and dancing.
Would this mean the church is moving out? Or would it just be in the current event space?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Church would remain downstairs. The club would be upstairs.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

moderne wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:29 pm Church would remain downstairs. The club would be upstairs.
Not happening.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

There are food trucks in the El Torreon parking lot on the weekends. I highly doubt the Church or the Longfellow or Hyde Park neighborhood associations would approve a nightclub.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If churches served cocktails, more people would attend.
mykn

Post by mykn »

FangKC wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:33 pm If churches served cocktails, more people would attend.
Drop the god stuff and serve brunch and I’ll be there every Sunday morning.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

mykn wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:25 pm
FangKC wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:33 pm If churches served cocktails, more people would attend.
Perhaps that's what we can use abandoned churches for. Sunday brunch halls.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I grew up in rural NW Missouri, I'd say a majority of people who attended church could have cared less about religion, or to hear the minister speak. They were there to visit with their neighbors and friends. I went only for the singing.

So if there was a brunch served every Sunday after services, I'm sure most people would show up just for that part.
mykn

Post by mykn »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:28 pm
mykn wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:25 pm
Perhaps that's what we can use abandoned churches for. Sunday brunch halls.
That is... a really good idea. Make the pews into communal seating or something.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is a combo record shop/coffee shop opening up in East Tower East. (Ok, I have no idea of the "Tower East" boundaries, but this is as good a thread as any). On the SE corner of 31st and Campbell.

I popped into the space today and it looks like they are almost ready to open, just waiting on health department clearance. They will be serving Broadway coffee.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

816 Collective (recycled bike shop) finally opened new site on 31st after buying the building years ago. I bought a couple bikes from them with donation a couple years ago in support of new site. Nice to see it finally happen.

http://816bike.org/new-building-flyer/ ab