"Tower East"

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: "Tower East"

Post by moderne »

El Torreon event business has had a big upswing. Seems to be lots of weddings/receptions.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm There is a combo record shop/coffee shop opening up in East Tower East.
Sister Anne's is now open. It seems like more of a soft open as they look like they are still getting things set up.

Open 7am to 9pm seven days a week. Great addition to the neighborhood.

https://www.facebook.com/Sister-Annes-R ... 036194598/

Photos from their Facebook page:

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

MC5. Awesome. That better be Kick out the Jams.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If you know what I'm talking about, you can rock or get the f@$% out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Archival Designs is relocating from the Crossroads to a street-level shop at 31st & Charlotte: https://www.spaceskc.com/arts-culture/a ... -kc-39245/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm pretty sure that KimChee place is closed up. I drove past it at 6pm and it was pitch black inside
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Brewer's Kitchen will be going into the KimChee space. "Artisan Burgers, Local Craft Beer":
https://www.facebook.com/BrewersKitchenKC/

Something called G.L.U.E. KC will be moving into this long vacant building on 31st St. across from Kitty's. "Where innovation and entrepreneurship meet!" Appears to be some sort of non-profit.

Just to the west of that building, some work has been done with a new balcony put on one of the buildings. Not sure what is going on there:

The ice cream truck warehouse building at Linwood and Holmes has sold. It looks like the owners of SquareOneStudio purchased it. They are a furniture design/manufacturing company located just to the north. They now own pretty much all of Holmes between 31st and Linwood, east and west sides. I'm not sure what their plans are for the newly purchased building and lots. I would be surprised if they needed all of that space for their furniture business.

I saw that Goodfellas Tattoo on 31st has applied for a new business license at the same address for "Goodfellas Greenery" for "All Other Miscellaneous Store Retailers ". Maybe I'm reading too much into the name, but that sounds like a good title for a medical marijuana dispensary. I think we are still a ways away from dispensary licenses being granted, but maybe they are just being proactive, hoping to get a license in the future.

This brings up an interesting topic: will the influx of dispensaries and manufacturing facilities make an impact on the retail/commercial real estate market? Will these help fill vacant store fronts, or will we just see vape shops and other stores switching over to dispensaries?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I think the impact will be minimal while we're still just doing medical. Black market prices will probably be cheaper - and not require the fee to the physician to sign off + fee for the license. I don't know details, but I assume both will be in the hundreds.

We already have about a dozen or more head shops in midtown. I would think maybe two or three medical dispensaries tops in the neighborhood. Not sure that it will be all that noticeable.

I could be wrong about all that. Just my guess.

I do agree that sounds like a dispensary name. Although, I'm hoping for more creative names. Knowing this town, we'll have "Streetcar Dispensary" and "Westport Dispensary" before we have a "Dank of America" or "Grass Station".
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I do agree that sounds like a dispensary name. Although, I'm hoping for more creative names. Knowing this town, we'll have "Streetcar Dispensary" and "Westport Dispensary" before we have a "Dank of America" or "Grass Station".
Kansas City Pot Co.? Marijuana on Main?

We still can't seem to get solid continued progress along 31st (including Martini Corner and west of there), despite some nice efforts with the record store, printing press, Urban Mining, etc. I'd really like to see this area (along with 31st/Troost) grow into something like Cherokee Street in STL - a little artsy, a lot hipster, dive bars and creative restaurants/retail. Obviously these large ownership groups make this a challenging stretch.

Any progress with 31 Levy building? I've been hopeful given the work Epoch has done here in river market but it's been quiet for some time. That corner would really help light the match...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am I do agree that sounds like a dispensary name. Although, I'm hoping for more creative names. Knowing this town, we'll have "Streetcar Dispensary" and "Westport Dispensary" before we have a "Dank of America" or "Grass Station".
“Grass Pad”
mykn

Post by mykn »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 am
WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am I do agree that sounds like a dispensary name. Although, I'm hoping for more creative names. Knowing this town, we'll have "Streetcar Dispensary" and "Westport Dispensary" before we have a "Dank of America" or "Grass Station".
“Grass Pad”
=D>
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 amWe already have about a dozen or more head shops in midtown. I would think maybe two or three medical dispensaries tops in the neighborhood. Not sure that it will be all that noticeable.
I think there will be significantly more.

As of March 11, there had already been 63 applications for dispensaries in Missouri's 5th congressional district. There will be a minimum of 24 dispensary licenses per congressional district, and I don't believe there is currently a maximum number.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the dispensaries in the 5th are in Midtown and Downtown. So, if there are only 24 licenses, I think we could see 6-8 dispensaries in Midtown - maybe more if they go past 24 for the district.

I could see some conservative state legislators wanting to cap the number of dispensaries, but the state will take in considerable revenue, so there is incentive to grant a lot of licenses.

I think you could see some head shop/vape shop/gift shops converting to dispensaries. I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are, but when I went to a dispensary in Washington, I seem to recall that they only sold marijuana products. It might be because of financial/accounting reasons (cash only) or the fact that you have to be carded to enter. So while a place like It's a Beautiful Day would probably like to add weed to their store, I don't think it is that simple. They would likely open a second store nearby. Maybe some store owners will decide to completely convert their businesses to dispensaries, but I think most will occupy new spaces.

In addition to dispensaries, you will have cultivation facilities and infusion manufacturing facilities that may impact the warehouse/light industrial market. A clinic for prescriptions has already opened in River Market and I suspect we will see a few more of those around town.

I don't think there will necessarily be a drastic change to the fundamentals of the commercial real estate market, but I think there could be a noticeable dip in vacancy rates once all of these businesses lease up spots, especially in areas where you might expect to see a higher than average concentration, such as Midtown.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Back on Tower East news, I noticed a new for sale sign up on the warehouse building across the street from Urban Mining. It seems like that might be a tricky one for a conversion/reuse, but it will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Converting and activating that building and the ice cream truck warehouse could potentially be huge for the area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Don't quote me on this but the deco-looking buff brick warehouse might be historic tax credit eligible.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:08 pm
Something called G.L.U.E. KC will be moving into this long vacant building on 31st St. across from Kitty's. "Where innovation and entrepreneurship meet!" Appears to be some sort of non-profit.
This is what Kitty's looked like in 1940.

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The window bars are not exactly visually appealing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It looks like a fake jailhouse at some cheesy roadside western town attached to a truck stop.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

diversity? freedom? bad taste? so? that's what a city is all about. you want conformity, good taste? Move to Overland Park.

much respect, FangKC. maybe you misspoke. maybe too much wine or beer. whatever.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Fake jailhouse serves up some really tasty tenderloins.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Kitty's is great