"Tower East"

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16985
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

"Tower East"

Post by chrizow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm

What? Why? How? Who? Where?

:?:

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: "Tower East"

Post by smh » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Go on

User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16985
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

Re: "Tower East"

Post by chrizow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:21 pm

sorry for the vague original post, i assumed i was late to the game on this. my impression is that people (developers?) are trying to "brand" the 31st/Gillham area as Tower East. clearly there is a bit of momentum going on over there with some new businesses and renovation of buildings. i was just curious where this came from, who is behind it, and why. i guess branding is fine (see, e.g., Martini Corner) but it also seems weird since the area is already called Hyde Park (or, i suppose, Longfellow on the north side...maybe this boundary is why the branding is taking place?)

for example:
https://www.facebook.com/towereastkc/

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: "Tower East"

Post by brewcrew1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm

I am pretty sure Tower East refers to just the Businesses along 31st/cherry/gilham not the actual homes around this area. Kind of like W 39th - That is really marketed towards the businesses not the homes in that area, the homes in that area are in Volker/Roanoake, etc

User avatar
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: "Tower East"

Post by WSPanic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

chrizow wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:21 pm
sorry for the vague original post, i assumed i was late to the game on this. my impression is that people (developers?) are trying to "brand" the 31st/Gillham area as Tower East. clearly there is a bit of momentum going on over there with some new businesses and renovation of buildings. i was just curious where this came from, who is behind it, and why. i guess branding is fine (see, e.g., Martini Corner) but it also seems weird since the area is already called Hyde Park (or, i suppose, Longfellow on the north side...maybe this boundary is why the branding is taking place?)

for example:
https://www.facebook.com/towereastkc/
Yeah, not sure where you've been, but my friends and I have been mocking this for months.

As noted above, I think it's just the shops east of "Martini Corner". Which I also hate the name for - but it certainly has stuck. Someone from the 'burbs asked me yesterday where Tower Tavern was and I used Martini Corner, and they knew.

User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16985
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

Re: "Tower East"

Post by chrizow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Yeah, not sure where you've been, but my friends and I have been mocking this for months.
ya'll were hating on this before it was cool to hate on it.

and yeah, "martini corner" is embarrassing. there may as well be a mural of the cast of "friends" on the side of a building down there.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4016
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: downtown

Re: "Tower East"

Post by moderne » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:31 pm

This moniker has been around for over a year. Tower East also sponsors the semi-annual Wonderfest. This spring they made and installed concrete planters along 31st and Cherry.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2210
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: "Tower East"

Post by brewcrew1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Was Martini Corner named that way just because a bar or 2 served martinis. With the bars around there now it might be hard to even find a martini

KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: "Tower East"

Post by KCKev2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm

For sure, there are no martinis at the Martini Corner, but the name and promotion made a place. The promoters of Tower East are trying to do the same at 31st and Cherry/Gillham.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4204
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: "Tower East"

Post by beautyfromashes » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I believe the name Martini Corner came into effect when The Drop opened. They definitely had martinis. I think the Velvet Dog has them too for a bit.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12910
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: "Tower East"

Post by FangKC » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Names like that can take, and last for decades. I like Martini Corner because it came from something specific locally as opposed to calling a neighborhood "The East Village," and sort of stealing it from another city for place-making purposes. What is called "The East Village" neighborhood here was once called Happy Hollow, and I think that is a perfectly-fine historic name that should have been used.

KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: "Tower East"

Post by KCKev2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 am

My favorite rememberance of Martini Corner is the Royals chase for the World Series in 2015. Every bar at that corner was alive. We had to get to the bar at least two hours before the game to claim a table. I loved when Tower Tavern and Brick House had their windows open and we could shout between the two. The transmission between Tower Tavern and Brick House had a few second lag. People at Tower Tavern would be cheering . And people across the street needed a few a few seconds to enjoy the cheering. It was a magical time.

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1906
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: "Tower East"

Post by kcjak » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am

beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 pm
I believe the name Martini Corner came into effect when The Drop opened. They definitely had martinis. I think the Velvet Dog has them too for a bit.
Martini Corner was used well before The Drop came around. When I first moved to KC in the early '90s, Velvet Dog was one of the first area bars to latch on to the martini craze. There was literally nothing around that area at the time.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: "Tower East"

Post by shinatoo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 am

kcjak wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am
beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:01 pm
I believe the name Martini Corner came into effect when The Drop opened. They definitely had martinis. I think the Velvet Dog has them too for a bit.
Martini Corner was used well before The Drop came around. When I first moved to KC in the early '90s, Velvet Dog was one of the first area bars to latch on to the martini craze. There was literally nothing around that area at the time.
Correct.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: University City, MO

Re: "Tower East"

Post by warwickland » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 am

tower east is better than SOHO or similar variation. hopefully that thing has passed.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4204
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: "Tower East"

Post by beautyfromashes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 am

kcjak wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am
Martini Corner was used well before The Drop came around. When I first moved to KC in the early '90s, Velvet Dog was one of the first area bars to latch on to the martini craze. There was literally nothing around that area at the time.
Yep, thinking about it again, that seems right. Velvet Dog was definitely much before the Drop. Someone should rebirth a bar with the name and spirit of Velvet Dog. I have so many good memories and feelings about that place.

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am
Location: Midtown

Re: "Tower East"

Post by tower » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am

FangKC wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 pm
Names like that can take, and last for decades. I like Martini Corner because it came from something specific locally as opposed to calling a neighborhood "The East Village," and sort of stealing it from another city for place-making purposes. What is called "The East Village" neighborhood here was once called Happy Hollow, and I think that is a perfectly-fine historic name that should have been used.
Meh. The terms Downtown, Midtown and Uptown were also stolen from NYC neighborhoods. I'm sure that if people don't like the term east village once it takes off, Developers and business owners will rebrand it.

User avatar
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3324
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: "Tower East"

Post by WSPanic » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am

Was there another "Martini" bar in Tower's space - maybe before Dragon Fly? I can't remember. The moniker just seemed odd to me as there was only one martini bar and it grew to be more than one corner. Not a big deal and it's certainly better than nothing.

The early days of Velvet Dog and Liquid Lounge on the Blvd (Cafe Gratitude space) were fun. I mean, I'm glad Swing is dead again, but those two places were about as "new" and "cool" as KC got back in the mid 90's.

User avatar
rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: "Tower East"

Post by rxlexi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:18 am

Every time someone brings up Velvet Dog, it brings back good memories. "Martini Corner" branding surely came about do to the original Dog and the former Empire Room across the street, maybe also Cafe Trocadero, which was located where Tower Tavern is. In the early/mid 2000s those were pretty hip spots.

I loved the area back then, but rarely go out there now. Like Tower Tavern a lot, but would love to see some new ownership, new (good) concepts (i.e. not generic Brickhouse, Ollies, etc.), additional storefronts etc. Seems like it has been stale for years, though then again I rarely go.

Should be a total hotspot; downtown adjacent, with potential views, a large performance space in El Torreon, surrounding hood that is building up, etc. Maybe streetcar changes the dynamic.

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4016
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: downtown

Re: "Tower East"

Post by moderne » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:04 am

Two different business owners in the area have told me there are plans to turn the El Torreon into a nightclub with dining, entertainment and dancing.

Post Reply