Electric Park Neighborhood (East Bottoms)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Electric Park Neighborhood (East Bottoms)

Post by tower »

Andy Rieger of J. Rieger is pursuing a plan to revitalize the area around the distillery and it trying to rebrand it as "Electric Park" after the old amusement park of the same name.

https://cityscenekc.com/j-rieger-plans- ... t-bottoms/

I really like the name, and the rendering is cool, but this neighborhood has a long way to go. It will need some pretty serious investment.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Electric Park Neighborhood (East Bottoms)

Post by kboish »

I would love to see something like this happen, but I agree, this neighborhood has a long way to go. It will be especially tough since they are losing the businesses that anchor the area. On the positive side, there are some people with deep pockets and long-term interests that own down there and are buying up more land.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

^what businesses are they losing?

I'm a little more optimistic about the specific area referenced. Knuckleheads has become it's own block between the original space, the gospel lounge and the garage. Local pig could very well spin off foodie collaborations with a sit down restaurant.

All it would take would be one or two more places opening.

OR A STREETCAR SPUR! I kid, but the connection from here to Columbus Park/River Market is as natural as it gets. Shuttle bus, bike lanes, streetscapes.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Vague but cool idea, and if nothing else happens but the renovation of the Heim warehouse that is still a big win. And, a great example of "buying local" translating directly into increased investment in KC. Reiger makes good stuff and it would be nice to see this turn into a public destination a la Boulevard tour/taproom.

You would think with that small core of older buildings around Local Pig/Knuckleheads something interesting could begin to take shape. But it's certainly still off-the-beaten path for most, and there isn't a whole of existing infrastructure to work with.
On the positive side, there are some people with deep pockets and long-term interests that own down there and are buying up more land.
Out of curiosity, who are you referencing here?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

John McDonald of Boulevard Beer among others.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

grovester wrote:^what businesses are they losing?

I'm a little more optimistic about the specific area referenced. Knuckleheads has become it's own block between the original space, the gospel lounge and the garage. Local pig could very well spin off foodie collaborations with a sit down restaurant.

OR A STREETCAR SPUR! I kid, but the connection from here to Columbus Park/River Market is as natural as it gets. Shuttle bus, bike lanes, streetscapes.
Urban Provisions is already gone (moved to Xroads Bauer building) and Local Pig...I've heard rumors they are moving also.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Well that would certainly quash my optimism!
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

kboish wrote:
grovester wrote:^what businesses are they losing?

Urban Provisions is already gone (moved to Xroads Bauer building) and Local Pig...I've heard rumors they are moving also.
If Local Pig leaves, that would be a huge blow... But I don't really see that happening. I think that they do a pretty good business where they are and a butcher shop is something you can make people travel a bit for. I could see them opening a second concept somewhere else though.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This looks cool, but I sometimes think development/investment gets spread too thin in KC. I think it would be wiser to focus on areas that already have some momentum than trying to start something basically from scratch in an area like this or at the riverfront.

I guess a revitalization of the East Bottoms could benefit and create synergy with the Northeast. I could see the area becoming a bit of a hub for Northeast residents. It's just too bad that the access between the two areas isn't great and the physical barriers make it seem disconnected.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Local Pig is expanding.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Am I going crazy or wasn’t the original Electric Park somewhere near where Emmanuel Cleaver BLVD is today?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

JBmidtown wrote:Am I going crazy or wasn’t the original Electric Park somewhere near where Emmanuel Cleaver BLVD is today?
Not the original. According to an article that this article linked to, the original was right next to the brewery- they even had beer piped over. As KC expanded south, the Heims decided to open a second, bigger electric park down by Cleaver Blvd, 47th and Paseo. They closed the first one when they opened the second.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

tower wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:Am I going crazy or wasn’t the original Electric Park somewhere near where Emmanuel Cleaver BLVD is today?
Not the original. According to an article that this article linked to, the original was right next to the brewery- they even had beer piped over. As KC expanded south, the Heims decided to open a second, bigger electric park down by Cleaver Blvd, 47th and Paseo. They closed the first one when they opened the second.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ ... ansas_City

And apparently Walter Cronkite of all people was there to witness Electric Park II's fiery demise. This is my first time reading about this, quite an interesting piece of history! The park inspired a certain young Mr. Disney in the design of his later theme parks as well.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

taxi wrote:Local Pig is expanding.
I wasn't sure if it was relocation or expansion, so I figured I'd start the rumor mill...but, thats great to hear it is an expansion!
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I don't see this working out too good. Who in the world would want to live down there? There could be floods, I heard there were many floods down there and really the area looks like there isn't too much going on with all the vacant places.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Darlene wrote:I don't see this working out too good. Who in the world would want to live down there? There could be floods, I heard there were many floods down there and really the area looks like there isn't too much going on with all the vacant places.
People live down there today and have for over 100 years. It's extremely affordable housing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Darlene wrote:Who in the world would want to live down there?
Funny. I say the same thing about Olathe. Different strokes, different folks.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I guess so. I always felt sorry for them people living in those tenements.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Darlene wrote:I guess so. I always felt sorry for them people living in those tenements.
I always felt sorry for people that lived like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dOEdEAAQ
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

That looks like a real nice area. Those people mustbe pretty well off.