Electric Park Neighborhood (East Bottoms)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Electric Park Neighborhood (East Bottoms)

Post by JBmidtown »

Don’t feed the troll y’all
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

kboish wrote:
taxi wrote:Local Pig is expanding.
I wasn't sure if it was relocation or expansion, so I figured I'd start the rumor mill...but, thats great to hear it is an expansion!
week+ ago i asked the guy behind the counter if there was anything going on and he avoided the question so i said "well if you're gonna move i hope i can find you" and he said "we'll be easy to find"
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

wahoowa wrote:
kboish wrote:
taxi wrote:Local Pig is expanding.
I wasn't sure if it was relocation or expansion, so I figured I'd start the rumor mill...but, thats great to hear it is an expansion!
week+ ago i asked the guy behind the counter if there was anything going on and he avoided the question so i said "well if you're gonna move i hope i can find you" and he said "we'll be easy to find"
I've heard some rumors. I'd call it a relocation, if true.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mgh7676 wrote:
wahoowa wrote:
kboish wrote:
I've heard some rumors. I'd call it a relocation, if true.
Spillllllll!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Yeah....we have an anonymous rumor section for just that purpose. 8)
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'd love to see them in the City Market. They would do very very well there. Otherwise, I feel like they are susceptible to being forgotten or overtaken by some other concept if they don't plant themselves in a slightly better place. It is a tad different, but I feel like Broadway Butcher took a bit of their mojo away when it became much more convenient for a lot of people.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think the smart money would be on the moving to the old Sundry.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Isn't there a Butcher in the City Market now? I completely forgot the name - I think its this but maybe it never took off or something
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 74059.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Isn't there a Butcher in the City Market now? I completely forgot the name - I think its this but maybe it never took off or something
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 74059.html
It's still there, IIRC.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I can't read the article you posted, but there is a little butcher on the west side of the market (the name escapes me) - down towards the south end. But, the selection isn't great and it just smells weird. I like some of the eggs they have there, but I haven't had a ton of luck with their meat. Broadway, Local Pig and Bichelmeyers all put it to shame.

Actually, Carollo's in the City Market has a better meat selection IMO.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It's got a similar problem to a lot of the stores in the City Market proper. The facilities are just hard to keep clean-looking and are outdated. The meat is not presented in an organized way, and there is a different layout every week. Everything about the place is haphazard, and even if it is great quality, I don't feel confident enough in the handling, supply chain, or curation to buy something from them. The City Market has a chance/opportunity to be the gourmet and "exotic" food destination for all of KC metro, but it will never do that with the current layout. They need a more premium facility in addition to the haphazard stalls that are fun at any large market. Local Pig would go a long way in adding prestige to something that is currently underrepresented or not done well in the market (would also love a fish monger).

**Edit** - I'd love to see Local Pig in the Winslows location with Pigwich included as the patio option.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I will be mildly annoyed if the gazillions of dollars I've spent there help facilitate them moving to somewhere I won't ever visit, but hard to blame them if they think they can do even better business elsewhere.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

From what I've heard, they won't be moving too far
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

bobbyhawks wrote:It's got a similar problem to a lot of the stores in the City Market proper. The facilities are just hard to keep clean-looking and are outdated. The meat is not presented in an organized way, and there is a different layout every week. Everything about the place is haphazard, and even if it is great quality, I don't feel confident enough in the handling, supply chain, or curation to buy something from them. The City Market has a chance/opportunity to be the gourmet and "exotic" food destination for all of KC metro, but it will never do that with the current layout. They need a more premium facility in addition to the haphazard stalls that are fun at any large market. Local Pig would go a long way in adding prestige to something that is currently underrepresented or not done well in the market (would also love a fish monger).

**Edit** - I'd love to see Local Pig in the Winslows location with Pigwich included as the patio option.
I second all of this!!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

alejandro46 wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ ... ansas_City

And apparently Walter Cronkite of all people was there to witness Electric Park II's fiery demise. This is my first time reading about this, quite an interesting piece of history! The park inspired a certain young Mr. Disney in the design of his later theme parks as well.

I about spit out my coffee when I got to this part of the Wikipedia article:
...in 1925, part of the plot (near the corner of Montgall and Rochester) was deeded to city of Kansas City for use as a neighborhood playground. Opened in a 1 August 1925 ceremony,[4] the park offered "Pet Night", in which children won prizes for displaying the largest, smallest, and the most deformed dog. Another day saw swimsuits awarded to boys who created wood carvings from dead trees.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like J Rieger is doing a big expansion. Could help revitalize that area

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... oject.html
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Heard a bit of a piece on KCUR about it this morning. Sounded fairly promising. Sad to be losing Local Pig--seems like they really (alongside Knuckleheads) spearheaded a lot of the positives happening in the area.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The Reiger expansion looks fantastic - very well done design if reality matches the renderings. If turns out anything like the Boulevard Tasting Room/social area it could be a big hit, despite the location. Love the idea of a speakeasy style bar in the basement, in addition to the tasting room and shop. Still especially enjoy KC Whiskey and will feel even better purchasing my next bottle now.

The Local Pig and Urban Provision spots will be open and just across the street. Hope some version of Andy Rieger's "Electric Park" vision comes to fruition...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

J. Rieger & Co. Expands Distillery, Aims To 'Resurrect' Kansas City's Historic Electric Park

http://www.kcur.org/post/j-rieger-co-ex ... k#stream/0
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Grading work in progress behind the old Local Pig.