Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote:Add the Uptown Shoppes redevelopment.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16964&start=20#p571512
I thought of adding that, but it seemed a little too preliminary (even though I know some of the projects I have listed are in fairly preliminary stages too). I didn't even see a number of units listed for that project.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Isn't 31 Levy dead?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This was discussed in another thread, but I don't think 31 Levy is dead, although it may be altered.

A new sign from the leasing company for the retail portion showed up on the building about a month ago. They still have the project listed on their website, as does Epoch.

I noticed on Epoch's site, they list it as Levy I/II. I don't remember this being discussed as a two phase project, but as of now, I'm thinking they may start with renovation of the existing building and adding the penthouse for phase I and the new construction portion would be a phase II at a later date.

Epoch may have their hands full focussing on River Market projects, so this might have been pushed to the back burner.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

We drove by and looked around it for a client who said it was available... but who knows if their info was accurate. We weren't with a realtor and didn't go inside.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Checked for updates on 31 Levy and nothing new since June 2016, not a good sign.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Also, Linwood and Troost is now 2 phases with (maybe) an increased unit count. Believe it was at PIEA last week.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:Also, Linwood and Troost is now 2 phases with (maybe) an increased unit count. Believe it was at PIEA last week.
I did find the agenda for last weeks PIEA meeting and it included:
"Update on Armour/Troost and Linwood/Troost development projects involving PIEA
properties"

I'm not sure if/when/where the minutes from the meeting would be available.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Not quite an apartment, but KCAI is building a 250 bed "living center" designed by Helix, breaking ground in early 2018. It will also have "contemporary dining that will be open to the public and a large new terraced garden".

This could effectively open up 250 units for new residents in the surrounding areas. Hopefully, this will inspire Knaack Properties to make some improvements to their buildings (or sell) if they need to fill them with people who aren't art students (although I wouldn't count on it).

http://kcai.edu/2017/12/best-nation-arc ... ng-center/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Will this be on the campus between Oak and Warwick or adjacent?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

moderne wrote:Will this be on the campus between Oak and Warwick or adjacent?
according to an earlier campus masterplan effort completed by BNIM, this project will go on the NW corner of 45th and Oak, replacing an old house:

https://www.bnim.com/project/master-pla ... ual-design
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Do you mean the vacant lot on the NE corner of 44th and Oak? The NW corner of 45th and Oak is campus building.

https://tinyurl.com/ycdyys88
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

FangKC wrote:Do you mean the vacant lot on the NE corner of 44th and Oak? The NW corner of 45th and Oak is campus building.

No, I mean the campus building at 45th and Oak which appears to be a former residence.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Critical_Mass wrote:
FangKC wrote:Do you mean the vacant lot on the NE corner of 44th and Oak? The NW corner of 45th and Oak is campus building.

No, I mean the campus building at 45th and Oak which appears to be a former residence.
That building from the BNIM plan is described as an academic building, not living. In the link, KCAI also says, "In early 2018, we will begin work to secure an architect for a second building dedicated entirely to our legendary first-year Foundation Program." I'm guessing that is what is shown in the BNIM plan.

Its really unfortunate that they feel the need to demo another lovely old building when they have the open lot at 44th and Oak (where another old home was torn down not too long ago). Not sure what the plans are for that lot.

If you look at the photo under "Design Exploration B", it appears the new living center will be going where Warwick curves, north of 45th St. It will go in a parking lot in front of 2 buildings, which I believe are the current dorms.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Updated the original post to add a few more projects. The Colonnades at Beacon Hill have a new owner and work has resumed: 30 units. I also added a few smaller projects: Crown Legacy Point, a 6 unit building by the Plaza, 3 new duplexes in Hyde Park with 3-bed units, and the rehab of the two long-vacant 4-plex buildings on the 3700 block of Main. I also included the KCAI housing project.

That puts the current total at 4,004 units. I'm not sure what the breakdown is between 1-bed, 2-bed, 3-bed units. Does anyone know what the average occupancy per apartment unit is in KC? I'm going to guess 1.75. That would equal about 7,000 new residents. I imagine some of these projects will fall through, but the new announcements aren't going to stop (especially along Main St as the streetcar extension comes closer).

The 2015 population estimated for the 64111, 64112, and 64109 zip codes totals 34,968. An increase of 7,000 people would be a 20% population increase that could happen within just a few years.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Thanks for doing the math on that. That's incredible.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Zoning Compliance Letter for the MGE Building/Midtown Plaza from September 2017: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 1&jur=KCMO

Anyone know what this mean? Still activity on the project?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

doesn't sound promising. maybe call city planning and ask if they have an update?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Whatever happened with 4600 Madison project?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's called 47 Madison. It was approved by the City in June, 2017. Either Block hasn't lined up all the financing, or they are waiting for to get on a schedule for a construction company or a crane.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There is a similarly sized apartment building being contemplated directly east of 47 Madison on the parking lot.