3260 Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

3260 Main

Post by Critical_Mass »

3260 Main proposal: 6 floors, 82 apartments over retail. Does not appear to include the adjacent ABC warehouse building.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/19533

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: 3260 Main

Post by beautyfromashes »

Picture shows Starbuck Coffee. Is that just a pipe dream or actuality? Shows drive through tunnel under the building which seems a bit strange.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:Picture shows Starbuck Coffee. Is that just a pipe dream or actuality? Shows drive through tunnel under the building which seems a bit strange.
It's a rendering. The Pickwick building renderings put an Apple Store.

The close tunnel is probably the parking exit and far tunnel the entrance
three two buildings to the north have separate ownership
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Looks similar to the 39th St proposal. Is it the same developer?

Hopefully this is the first of many developments like this along Main in Midtown with the streetcar extension.

There was a BizJournal article a while back about streetcar extension development possibilities and the owner of the ABC building talked about some pie in the sky plans he has that will probably never happen. He seems like one of many property owners in KC who may have grand ideas and good intentions, but don't have the capital or skill to pull it off. Hopefully something happens with that building.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Looks similar to the 39th St proposal. Is it the same developer?
Same developer. No previous projects like this, just some smaller renovations around midtown.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

This parcel would have already had nice development years ago, no car wash next door and the three story auto dealership redone if it wasn't for Marcason and the council at the time.
mykn

Post by mykn »

beautyfromashes wrote:This parcel would have already had nice development years ago, no car wash next door and the three story auto dealership redone if it wasn't for Marcason and the council at the time.
Any links to info on that development?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mykn wrote: Any links to info on that development?
Was shown the development as part of a discussion with Maincor.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Article in the BizJournal about this project (subscriber only):

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... al-on.html
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Rezoning request on the books for CPC this week: https://data.kcmo.org/Development-Revie ... /ytzy-pkcf
mykn

Post by mykn »

If you live in Old Hyde Park and would like to meet with the architect for this proposal, I'm hosting a meeting on Thursday at 5:30PM. Please PM me if you'd like to join.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Some notes I took from the meeting:

The building will consist of apartments, parking, and retail. There will be 3 retail bays with a total space of just under 8k space total for retail. Part of the look they are going for is having a covered walkway above the sidewalk, so they are adding a 6 foot metal overhang that will shade the sidewalk. In addition, the retail entrenches are pushed back into the building, which would provide seating/outdoor space at the front of the building for retail. They already are in talks with companies for the retail portion, however it seemed more like they were focusing on non-restaurant/cafe companies, and more offices & doctor/medical.

Parking will be on the ground floor and first floor of the building and will not be visible. The parking portion will go back to the property line of the lot and a wall with greenery will be hiding it. The parking will be accessed on either side of the building from the front, cars enter on the right side of the building and exit on the left. This means there will be two curb cuts and when asked about why it cannot be combined into one entry/exit, they said it would take away too many parking spaces so they are going with two.

The apartments are aimed towards the 35+ age range, not "millennial apartments" as they said. The finishes in the apartments will be nicer than most new construction and floor plans will be larger than normal. I believe they said a single bedroom will be around $1400 and a 2 bedroom will be around $2000 and parking is included in rent price. I didn't get a cost/sq foot for the units. They were comparing themselves to MAC a lot and said their rents would be comparable to other places in Midtown, so I assume they are going after the same price target as MAC apartments. There will be 1 parking spot per unit + some parking for the retail spots. There will be a rooftop deck, however it will be towards the front of the building, not the back. The apartment portion of the structure will be set back 18 feet from the back of the property line. I believe they also said they were working on a courtyard for the residents on the interior of the building, I'm not clear on this detail.

The building is designed to be entirely clad in porcelain tile and have a very "international" aesthetic. I believe they said the exterior tile for the building will cost 3M alone. They are hoping for a groundbreaking in December with real work starting in January (weather dependent) and construction would take a year.

The renderings they showed were very nice, much nicer than the ones in this thread.

If you're interested in supporting this project, it goes in front of CPC on Wednesday. Please email the City Planning Commission via Patty Noll (patty.noll@kcmo.org)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Thanks for the update. This sounds like good infill. What was the reaction from the neighborhood?
mykn

Post by mykn »

chaglang wrote:Thanks for the update. This sounds like good infill. What was the reaction from the neighborhood?
We hosted an event with about 8 neighbors that were all literally right behind this project (and a couple that were on the other side of Main, near Gates) and they all liked it. Surprisingly, the developers told me the neighborhood association doesn't hate it, which is odd since previously their feathers were all ruffled over it. I still think it's a good idea to write in to support the project because I don't trust the neighborhood association for a second.

Edit: I just asked the architect if they could send me the updated renderings to post, I think you all would like them.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Thanks, please post those if you can. I sent CPC letter in support of this project a few weeks ago.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

mykn wrote:The apartments are aimed towards the 35+ age range, not "millennial apartments" as they said. The finishes in the apartments will be nicer than most new construction and floor plans will be larger than normal. I believe they said a single bedroom will be around $1400 and a 2 bedroom will be around $2000 and parking is included in rent price. I didn't get a cost/sq foot for the units. They were comparing themselves to MAC a lot and said their rents would be comparable to other places in Midtown, so I assume they are going after the same price target as MAC apartments
That seems higher priced than MAC. I believe some of their newer, highest priced apartments might approach that price, but are still below. And their average prices are well below that.

I probably have this thought about many new apartment developments, but those prices seem a little high. I don't think that is a very desirable location at this time, but they are charging rates like it is. Once the streetcar line is there, sure. But until that happens, and/or there is more development in the immediate area, I think they might struggle to rent units at that price.

It seems like not spending so much on expensive porcelain tile cladding and charging a little less for rent might be a better idea, but if they can make it work, more power to them.
mykn

Post by mykn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
mykn wrote:The apartments are aimed towards the 35+ age range, not "millennial apartments" as they said. The finishes in the apartments will be nicer than most new construction and floor plans will be larger than normal. I believe they said a single bedroom will be around $1400 and a 2 bedroom will be around $2000 and parking is included in rent price. I didn't get a cost/sq foot for the units. They were comparing themselves to MAC a lot and said their rents would be comparable to other places in Midtown, so I assume they are going after the same price target as MAC apartments
That seems higher priced than MAC. I believe some of their newer, highest priced apartments might approach that price, but are still below. And their average prices are well below that.

I probably have this thought about many new apartment developments, but those prices seem a little high. I don't think that is a very desirable location at this time, but they are charging rates like it is. Once the streetcar line is there, sure. But until that happens, and/or there is more development in the immediate area, I think they might struggle to rent units at that price.

It seems like not spending so much on expensive porcelain tile cladding and charging a little less for rent might be a better idea, but if they can make it work, more power to them.
I thought so too, although I do believe they said the units would be larger than most, so I'm wondering if $ per sq/ft would be more in line with the high-end MAC ones. They said repeatedly that they were targeting empty nesters and established professionals, so I assume that's the reason for the upcharge, hope they can get it. Personally, I hope they can keep the tile exterior since I live right behind this building :D .

Anyway, this project JUST passed CPC, so I think they are good to go. They told us a groundbreaking in December, then core samples, construction start in January/February and finished in December of 2018. Seems aggressive, hope they can do it.

I can remember if I posted this before, but they said they have another 2-3 projects planned for Main St but haven't been announced yet.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Updated renderings for this project and the one on 39th street are available from the download located on this page.

KCDowntown
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

mykn wrote:I can remember if I posted this before, but they said they have another 2-3 projects planned for Main St but haven't been announced yet.
Great! I believe you mentioned the Mattress Store site as one possible project. Any idea on other potential locations?