OPUS at Broadway Blvd and Westport Road

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OPUS at Broadway Blvd and Westport Road

Post by earthling »

^Those are CAVEs- Citizens Against Virtually Everything
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In the future, there needs to be a proactive compromise put in place that essentially protects the significant historic buildings in-and-around Westport from demolition, but allows for new development of higher density buildings on vacant lots, or to replace less-significant buildings. This needs to be done soon. It would set the rules for development around Westport.

The City needs to revamp the landmarking ordinances and recognize that some buildings and districts are essential to the history of the City, and that their history contributes to economic development--not detracts from it. However, there also needs to be recognition from the purists that we also need real estate development in and around landmarked buildings. No landmarked building truly can contribute if it's sitting alone isolated in a no-mans land.

One can argue the merits of keeping the former bank building, and working around it. I tend to agree that could have been done. The arguments that the building density proposed is too large is ridiculous. That is a major intersection. Densities change all the time, as they should. Yes, one could make the argument that 30-story building there is too much. However, the surrounding parcels are currently parking lots or other office buildings and retail. The proposed project is appropriate.

There are other parcels around Westport where larger buildings are appropriate -- like south and east of the Cost Plus World Market on the surface lots. There didn't used to be 15-to-20+ story buildings on the Plaza either--until there were.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The Star and a couple of tv stations have stated that neighborhoods near the OPUS development were against it. I live in Volker and usually attend the monthly neighborhood association meetings, and nothing was ever mentioned about an 'official' stance on the development - although I did miss the June meeting.

I posed a question to the VNA on their Facebook page about the process whereby residents vote on whether or not the association supports development issues (haven't heard back yet), but noticed that Mary Jo Draper's fingerprints are all over much of the related Facebook info on OPUS and Westport development. Regardless of whether or not I agree with Ms Draper's views, I don't want her speaking for me or the neighborhood. Can anyone confirm which neighborhood she lives it? I thought it was Valentine, but am not sure. Thanks
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

She lives in Valentine about 7 blocks NE. You can thank her for putting her name on the property, made it really easy to find.

Really amazing, her mortgage is with another KC name, James B Nutter, who's chairman contributed to SmartKC in 2014, the anti streetcar group.
Their mortgage servicing center is at Archibald and Central, just across the street from this location.

I wonder what the odds are they're working together and she gets a special mortgage deal in turn. Wouldn't be the first time someone has ulterior motives to be against something.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Fellow in the yellow shirt is Shields' PIAC rep. No wonder none of the projects that support walkable density get funded out of PIAC anymore...
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Construction fencing is going up and the Bank of America has been vacated. Looks like demo/ground breaking may be imminent.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Taking any bets on Mary Jo Draper tying herself to the building before the demolition starts
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ^
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Construction fencing is going up and the Bank of America has been vacated. Looks like demo/ground breaking may be imminent.
Nothing yet.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Final Plat was submitted to CPC on 3/2. Hopefully this means activity will start soon.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I noticed what I'm pretty sure is a new construction trailer, plus some trucks and cars on site. I think people were working inside the old bank building. Looks like work may finally be beginning in earnest.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Current status:

marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

Who else is REALLY excited for this project to be done? The bank building was unique and pretty, BUT the streets of Westport are going to have a little bit more life on them, which is something KC seems to struggle with.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm excited for it!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

East Westport is about to transform all the way to Main St.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 am East Westport is about to transform all the way to Main St.
Agreed. It'll be so fun to watch the progress over the next few years and hopefully that Anti-Streetcar coalition will eat its damn words.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 am East Westport is about to transform all the way to Main St.
I really hope so.

KC needs to evolve a little bit. The city is a collection of underutilized villages - those central commercial hubs need people living within them to sustain. Otherwise, they are just destinations and not "communities"... and destinations ALWAYS have parking problems in the Midwest.

If there are tons of people living here, it will help sustain this commercial hub and visitors can be a secondary focus to business-owners, rather than the core threat to whether or not they will have customers.

And THAT is my theory of Westport + other places.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Opus' mixed-use poised to trigger Westport Road redevelopment: http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/opus ... evelopment
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:12 pm Opus' mixed-use poised to trigger Westport Road redevelopment: http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/opus ... evelopment
This is very exciting!