OPUS at Broadway Blvd and Westport Road

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

OPUS at Broadway Blvd and Westport Road

Post by mykn »

New thread for the OPUS development project at Broadway and Westport Road. This project would replace the Bank of America building at the corner as well as much (all?) of the surface parking along Westport Road and Broadway.

Star Article: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 26308.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OPUS at Broadway Blvd and Westport Road

Post by DaveKCMO »

Didn't someone find the new renderings?
mykn

Post by mykn »

DaveKCMO wrote:Didn't someone find the new renderings?
It's out there, not sure if it can be shared though.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

How do the new renderings vary from the original?

Here is the original rendering:

Here is another one posted in a more recent article that appears pretty much identical:

mykn

Post by mykn »

The second one you posted is the newest one I have. Besides the additional brick, a few small changes facing Westport Rd, and the rooftop deck covering, I didn't notice much. I'll hopefully be meeting with the developer in the next week, I'll see if I can get any more info. Is there anything you all would like to know?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mykn wrote:The second one you posted is the newest one I have. Besides the additional brick, a few small changes facing Westport Rd, and the rooftop deck covering, I didn't notice much. I'll hopefully be meeting with the developer in the next week, I'll see if I can get any more info. Is there anything you all would like to know?
Is adaptive reuse/incorporation of the existing bank structure at all on their radar or have they ruled that out totally at this point?
mykn

Post by mykn »

kboish wrote:
mykn wrote:The second one you posted is the newest one I have. Besides the additional brick, a few small changes facing Westport Rd, and the rooftop deck covering, I didn't notice much. I'll hopefully be meeting with the developer in the next week, I'll see if I can get any more info. Is there anything you all would like to know?
Is adaptive reuse/incorporation of the existing bank structure at all on their radar or have they ruled that out totally at this point?
I want to ask about that, but I think it's out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ruled out. the arguments are (a) they need to demo to make way for the underground parking that meets the city/neighborhood minimums and (b) the current owner will demolish it anyway.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Hey Everyone, There will be a public meeting with OPUS on Wednesday (5/3) at 7PM at Tower Tavern (401 E 31st St). It will be hosted by Old Hyde Park Neighborhood Association, however anyone is free to come to the meeting. If you are in favor of this project, I would urge you to come out and support it. The Neighborhood Assn has been asked to come out against the project, but has not taken a vote yet. Please show up to support it and hopefully we can get a vote of support from the Neighborhood Assn (I think it is very possible and would be, I think, the first Midtown Neighborhood Assn that would come out in support of the project).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mykn wrote:Hey Everyone, There will be a public meeting with OPUS on Wednesday (5/3) at 7PM at Tower Tavern (401 E 31st St). It will be hosted by Old Hyde Park Neighborhood Association, however anyone is free to come to the meeting. If you are in favor of this project, I would urge you to come out and support it. The Neighborhood Assn has been asked to come out against the project, but has not taken a vote yet. Please show up to support it and hopefully we can get a vote of support from the Neighborhood Assn (I think it is very possible and would be, I think, the first Midtown Neighborhood Assn that would come out in support of the project).
Who has asked the Neighborhood Association to come out against the project?
mykn

Post by mykn »

kcjak wrote:
mykn wrote:Hey Everyone, There will be a public meeting with OPUS on Wednesday (5/3) at 7PM at Tower Tavern (401 E 31st St). It will be hosted by Old Hyde Park Neighborhood Association, however anyone is free to come to the meeting. If you are in favor of this project, I would urge you to come out and support it. The Neighborhood Assn has been asked to come out against the project, but has not taken a vote yet. Please show up to support it and hopefully we can get a vote of support from the Neighborhood Assn (I think it is very possible and would be, I think, the first Midtown Neighborhood Assn that would come out in support of the project).
Who has asked the Neighborhood Association to come out against the project?
Mary Jo Draper. I'm not sure if she's part of an organization doing it, but she's been asking NAs around Westport to oppose it. We went to her meeting last week to voice our support for the project.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Does she still do that one site called Midtown Post KC?
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Does she still do that one site called Midtown Post KC?
Yep!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Mary Jo Draper is soliciting residents opposed to this development to attend the City Planning meeting tomorrow as a show of solidarity against it. On the Nextdoor app she claims that 3/4 of residents attending meetings with the developer are in opposition.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I saw that Historic KC was opposed as well.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It would be interesting to see if these same exact people who want to save the building save it but then there is another use for the building. Like the building becomes a Strip Club or a Halfway House or some kind of seedy business. Wonder if they would just sit on the sidelines and not care because there precious building was saved and low density restored.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:It would be interesting to see if these same exact people who want to save the building save it but then there is another use for the building. Like the building becomes a Strip Club or a Halfway House or some kind of seedy business. Wonder if they would just sit on the sidelines and not care because there precious building was saved and low density restored.
zoning probably prevents that. i actually think they would fight it (or someone would).
mykn

Post by mykn »

I guess this is better late than never, but the CPC meeting for the zoning change for this project is tomorrow. If you support this project, please email Patty Noll and express your support, it only takes a few minutes and makes a big difference! There will be a lot of people opposing this project at the actual meeting, so if you can go, that's even better (meeting is at Tuesday, May 16th, 9 am, 26th Floor, City Hall).

If you email, please also CC the following people:

patty.noll@kcmo.org
katheryn.shields@kcmo.org
jolie.justus@kcmo.org
quinton.lucas@kcmo.org
heather.hall@kcmo.org
scott.taylor@kcmo.org
katrina.foster@kcmo.org
lee.barnes@kcmo.org
Keema.McCoy@kcmo.org

Here's an example letter:

May 4, 2017

Ms. Patty Noll

City Planning & Development Department

414 East 12 th Street

Kansas City, MO 64106

RE: Support for Westport Apartments

Dear Ms. Noll,

Hello, my name is ________ and I have been a property owner in the ___________ Neighborhood

adjacent to Westport for over ___ years. I am writing all of you to express my support for the Westport

Apartments project on the southeast corner of Westport Road and Broadway.

The proposed building has been well thought-out and complements the surrounding area. The design

and scale of this project is very appropriate for the flavor and character of Westport and will improve

the existing streetscape in a fresh and relevant way.

Additionally, this project fulfills the need for transit-oriented development in Westport and encourages

a bike/walk mentality for a modern KC.

And finally, this project will be great for the Westport neighborhood and the surrounding

neighborhoods of Midtown. It stands to bring-in around 300 residents which will boost economic

activity and add a significant residential voice to keep Westport safer and stronger.

As a City, we need to continue to promote and encourage urban living. This is what our community

desires for future development in Midtown and beyond. Please continue the promotion of urban revival

for our city by passing along my vote of support to the Planning Commission and City Council for

approval of the Opus Westport Apartments development plan.

Sincerely,

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just emailed them my support
mykn

Post by mykn »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I just emailed them my support
Awesome! Thanks!