Westport Terrace at Manor Square

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westport Terrace at Manor Square

Post by chrizow »

gould evans can deal ( 8) ) but what about Tivoli? Is there a plan for it to move? Or would it just shutter?

Would also love to see a Criterion Collection movie theatre somewhere in the urban core.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm I wouldn't mind a better version of Tivoli somewhere else. I'd love to see something more like Ragtag in Columbia.
Maybe the old movie theater at 39th and Woodland?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

voltopt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 pm
smh wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm I wouldn't mind a better version of Tivoli somewhere else. I'd love to see something more like Ragtag in Columbia.
Oh? Compelling.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'd love to see something more like Ragtag in Columbia.
Agree, this would be awesome. Tivoli is great but needs to be updated, and KC needs a quality art-house theater.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I'd love a restoration of the old Plaza Theater to house Tivoli.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Is there anything in the remaining theater space at Crown Center? That'd be a relatively cost effective takeover.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am There's a historic theater (Boone?) at 18th & Vine that needs a tenant after the city stabilizes the building.
My understanding is that the Downtown Council is renovating the Boone Theater as a live cultural space to be used by the Folk Alliance, which relocated to KC, the Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey dance organization, and other groups.

https://www.arts.gov/exploring-our-town/boone-theatre
horizons82 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm Is there anything in the remaining theater space at Crown Center? That'd be a relatively cost effective takeover.
A live performing arts group took over the old theaters at Crown Center. It's called Musical Theater Heritage.

https://musicaltheaterheritage.com/shows/
earthling wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:50 am ^W39th? Martini Corner? Could Westport (and Xroads) to Troost become Brooklyn's Williamsburg to Bushwick equivalent?
There is a former movie theater building on W. 39th, that used to be the Giles Theater. It is now cobbled up and houses the 39th Street Laundromat and Sahara Sheesha Lounge.

https://tinyurl.com/ycp66g82

There used to be movie theater in the Martini Corner neighborhood called the Gillham Theater, and it burned down. It sat just east of the Velvet Freeze building, and the lot is still vacant.

Keep in mind that Tivoli has more than one film exhibition space in their current theater, and I would assume they would want to maintain that in any new venue. They also host festivals and need to show more than one movie at a time.

I would love to see them take over the Plaza Theater, but I wonder if the auditorium could be divided into different exhibition rooms without harming the remaining historic features of the auditorium space. Reports indicate part of the balcony was removed, so that might not be available to close off into a small theater. I don't know if there is enough room to have a second exhibition space where Restoration Hardware's retail space was, and also have a lobby, bathrooms, and concession area.

http://cinematreasures.org/photos?page= ... er_id=1434

I was thinking about the former Armory at 3620 Main. The building with the Silo sign on it. It already has a restaurant and bar area, and event space, and has 100 parking spaces. They might be able to build out small theaters within it.

https://tinyurl.com/y8sbwxee

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3620-Mai ... O/5648514/

The Warwick Theater at 3927 Main Street has been taken over by the Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre, so it's not available.

The Madrid Theater is a live performance/event space.

There are several former theaters still on Troost. The Bagdad/Carrol Theater at 2711 Troost, the Apollo Theater at 3227 Troost, and The Strand at 3544 Troost. The question though would regular Tivoli customers go to those locations to see a movie? If Troost was further along in its' rebirth, the Apollo might be a possibility.
voltopt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 pm
That is the Colonial Theater. See above. Again, I question whether the regular Tivoli customer would go to 39th and Woodland to see an art movie. The neighboring buildings are pretty rundown, and I've seen aggressive hookers at that intersection. There is also no parking with that building.

I don't know if the theater auditorium remains in the Gillis Theater at E. Fifth & Walnut in the River Market. That might only be a one auditorium setup as well anyway. I know it used to be a movie theater, and also a live theater at one time. Also a burlesque theater as well. Probably too small.

There is also the Englewood Theater at 10917 E. Winner Road in Independence, which is empty, but owned by the operators of the Fine Arts Theaters. It might be too out of the way to succeed.

On the Kansas side, the Granada Theater at 1013 Minnesota Avenue was restored, but it's now a church. Screenland operated it for awhile, but again, I think that it being an out-of-the-way location doomed it.

The Fine Arts Theater at 11119 Johnson Drive in Shawnee was supposed to be undergoing renovation, but I don't know if it ever was completed. Still, I think it's only a single-screen theater.

The Mission Theatre at 5909 Johnson Drive I believe is a rental event space--mostly for weddings. I think it was converted to a twin theater in the past. However, it is probably more profitable as a wedding and event venue that it might be as an art house theater.

So that leaves us with a situation where they might just find a former warehouse type building and build new theater spaces, bathrooms, etc. inside it like Screenland did with the former Kansas City Star warehouse on McGee.

I would hate to see Tivoli close down for good.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

What about the original screenland space on Washington?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Fine Arts Theater (Aztec) is being renovated as a movie house: http://aztecshawnee.com
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

grovester wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:52 am What about the original screenland space on Washington?
The Screenlands Building on Washington is for lease.

http://www.jllproperty.us/assets/doc/16 ... 498193.pdf
DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 am The Fine Arts Theater (Aztec) is being renovated as a movie house: http://aztecshawnee.com
We'll all be dead and buried/cremated by the time they finish. :lol:
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Folks are watching films daily at The Strand.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:52 am What about the original screenland space on Washington?
They turned the theater space into office space - leveled the floor and divided. It's only a former theater in name now. I'd imagine it would be easier and cheaper to convert an empty warehouse into a theater at this point.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Well, I guess this project is dead.

A plan recently showed up in Compass for a "second floor addition and interior changes for new tenant" at 4050 Pennsylvania. That is the same address as Char Bar, but I'm guessing this is the other half of the old Beaumont space that has never been re-used. There are no attachments or details with this plan.

If this is happening, it looks like the apartment/hotel plan is no more.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Sad if true. Seems likely, no movement in awhile on this ambitious proposal.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I thought they put a hold on developments in Westport, because of the opus project. Was thinking this was delayed because of that? I hope it is not dead :(
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

So, I wonder if it was really necessary to close McCoy's. There's no way that place couldn't have been making money. I thought the thinking was that Char Bar was going to have to move into both the McCoys/Foundry space when that project was under construction. Now that project is on hold - has anything been going on in the McCoys/Foundry spot? Those are such premium spots - would hate to see them fall into the wrong hands (I'm looking at you Johnny Kaw).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Maybe the project is dead, but why speculate just because it hasn't started, yet, and because of some plans for part of the old Beaumont? Is there any tangible proof or just guessing?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I guess I’m not really upset that this project died. I thought it was fairly ugly.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am Maybe the project is dead, but why speculate just because it hasn't started, yet, and because of some plans for part of the old Beaumont? Is there any tangible proof or just guessing?
Kevin Collison responded to Dave's Twitter thread and said the rumor is not true and developers were still pursuing this - so maybe it's still going to happen.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Maybe!