Westport Terrace at Manor Square

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

Westport Terrace at Manor Square

Post by mykn »

Spun off a new thread dedicated to Westport Terrace at Manor Square. Not sure if this is the actual name of the project, but that's what the Star is calling it. This project will be along Pennsylvania and Mill St, where Char Bar is today.

Star Article: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 61394.html

Here's the plans filed with the city: http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/11203
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Westport Terrace at Manor Square

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here are some elevations from the most recent plan.

The residential section from Pennsylvania:

I have a feeling that is not exactly to scale. It seems like it should be taller in comparison to the Manor Square building. I think they did this on purpose to assuage the fears of those with height concerns.

The hotel portion from Mill St.:
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also should note this wraps around (behind I suppose) Char Bar. So Char Bar remains, expensive croquet and all.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Are those retail spaces along the front, can't tell. Would hope so.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like there are two spaces in addition to Char Bar on the first and second floors that could be retail or office:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

For such a long building, the mixup of windows and patterns help break the monotony. Would even be better to break it up into completely different looking buildings but sometimes attempting to do that looks faux Disney. Ultimately it's not bad. Darker redbrick mixed in would be more Westport aligned though, would suggest darker brick - though it's just a rendering.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:So Char Bar remains, expensive croquet and all.
*gentrification
mykn

Post by mykn »

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but the design of this development reminds me of something that would show up on McMansion Hell (http://www.mcmansionhell.com).
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I wonder what is going on with Pulse Development? It seems like things have been silent with this project, as well as the Artisan Apartments proposal east of the Plaza.

Mirabelle Phase I finished up a little while ago, but phase II doesn't seem to be going forward. There is one little bungalow home on the site that is still standing. I thought getting possession of that might be the hold up, but it now looks as though it may have been vacated.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Owner reportedly raising the rents a lot, leading to the immediate departure of Gould Evans and eventual departure of Tivoli when their lease is up.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

Tivoli Cinema is a Kansas City gem.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder where Tivoli will go?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^W39th? Martini Corner? Could Westport (and Xroads) to Troost become Brooklyn's Williamsburg to Bushwick equivalent?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

There's a historic theater (Boone?) at 18th & Vine that needs a tenant after the city stabilizes the building.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 pm Owner reportedly raising the rents a lot, leading to the immediate departure of Gould Evans and eventual departure of Tivoli when their lease is up.
Last I heard, Gould Evans was moving into 4200 Pennsylvania, the stone building catty-corner from the building housing Ca Va. I remember a previous article from the Star, I think, that mentioned several new bars were supposed to open in this building. Not sure if that plan died.
I had heard about GE looking around for a new office location some time ago. I was told they were looking into renovating the storage building on the NE corner of 5th and Grand, but that is not happening unfortunately. That would have been great!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Disappointing to hear that Gould Evans might move into 4200 Pennsylvania (stone building). Was really looking forward to that being renovated and activated as retail space. 5th and Grand would have been awesome.

Westport needs more active development along it's fringes, including east of Broadway and west along Westport road, and fewer bars in the immediate vicinity of Westport/Penn, IMO.

The closing of the streets, sidewalk privatization and concentration of big college bars on two blocks is frustrating to see after what seemed like a more diverse trajectory a few years back. Privatization is a complete joke, and the late night scene is at odds with what remains a very pleasant place earlier in the day/evening.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Hate to bring up a touchy subject, but if GE moves to 4200 Penn, wonder what kind of parking the employees will have. I'd hate to see employees take up on-street parking that retail/restaurant patrons would normally be using.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wouldn't mind a better version of Tivoli somewhere else. I'd love to see something more like Ragtag in Columbia.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Dang... you all need better info.