14 Story apartment tower - Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 14 Story apartment tower - Westport

Post by kcjak »

I'm happy that the developer and neighbors were able to find some common ground, but I'm sure there are other building materials than brick that would accent the feel of Westport. Does the parking garage, strip mall or Sun Fresh area make the area more cohesive just by using brown brick everywhere? I'm not against brick, but when EVERY new development ends up using the same building materials it kind of tarnishes the other older buildings.
mykn

Post by mykn »

kcjak wrote:I'm happy that the developer and neighbors were able to find some common ground, but I'm sure there are other building materials than brick that would accent the feel of Westport. Does the parking garage, strip mall or Sun Fresh area make the area more cohesive just by using brown brick everywhere? I'm not against brick, but when EVERY new development ends up using the same building materials it kind of tarnishes the other older buildings.
You can thank the neighborhoods for all of that extra brick. From my understanding, the orig design didn't have as much brick but due to the #NOPUS crowd, they added more to fit with the "character of the neighborhood".
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I guess this was approved today. 11-1 vote with Shields as the only no.
Last edited by kboish on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:I guess this was approved today.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/co ... 70428.html
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Westport Coffee House and Green Room are still staying, right?