Interstate Highway thru Crossroads ('80s Plan)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Interstate Highway thru Crossroads ('80s Plan)

Post by AlbertHammond »

I have been told many times about an old HNTB plan to add a south loop thru the crossroads. Seems the plan still had traction into the 1990s. Does anyone know the name of the plan or have info on the exact route it was to take? I seem to recall it was to run just behind Union Station, thru the freight house area (Lydias, JackStack BBQ).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Interstate Highway thru Crossroads ('80s Plan)

Post by DaveKCMO »

I believe it was called the Crosstown Connector or Crossroads Connector (I-35 to US-71 along 22nd/23rd streets). The watered down version was eventually build as a "stroad" from Grand to 71 and an even MORE watered down version (or watered UP?) is now under construction from 71 to some point east. I believe the last version of the grand plan had a traffic circle plopped right on top of my home.

Granted, most this is secondhand info passed down from neighborhood leaders. I have personally never seen the original plan that would have wiped out the Freighthouse.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I don't think the plan was designed to be a highway as such but as you say "a connector". It died, more or less, due to lack of funding, not sure of any resistance to the plan since there wasn't much in the way as residences to be affected. Saw plans a very long time ago but don't remember the route to I-35 when it got to Union Station. Believe it was to tie into 23rd Street on the west side of I-35.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

So it would have been like another SW traffic way? Boy the city leaders sure did want people to get the hell out of downtown as quickly as possible.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

everything about that sounds awful.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote:So it would have been like another SW traffic way? Boy the city leaders sure did want people to get the hell out of downtown as quickly as possible.
Small towns like bypasses. (see Lawrence, Warrensburg) I never got that. Do towns want people to not go through their town and spend money in the existing stores?

In the same idea, why would any city want to make it easy to move away? We know that jobs left downtown anyways so it's not like quick and easy access helped there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Small towns don't like bypasses. At the same time though they do. They may want the business that may stop but not the traffic that just drives though.
Highways are to move traffic. There is a certain tradeoff.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Think the idea was for Crown Center and what was to be the Pershing Square development would have a direct freeway access connection to I-35 and Bruce Watkins. More competitive with freeway-centric developments like Corporate Woods and Junior College Blvd.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Draw a line west along the north edge of the KCTR tracks, starting at 22nd and Grand and turning to the SW slightly at the freighthouse in the process demolishing the freighhouse) and continue to Cesar Chavez. I believe that was the route, but it may have aligned with West Pennway on the west side. Think of it as a continuation of Cesar Chavez east, which the rest of it basically is beyond Grand.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

In design, it would have been similar to the Broadway flyover that aligns Broadway with West Pennway south of Southwest Boulevard.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

It was the 'Crosstown Connector' and up until the mid-90's there were still some people huffing and puffing to make this artery happen.
The shift from such insular thinking was building early momentum.

BTW, the term 'Crossroads' was a late 90's development. Prior to that it was 'Crosstown' and some other name that eludes me.
As the energy of the area started to build, a moniker was sought, found and stuck in place. Don't know who gets credit for that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote:Don't know who gets credit for that.
internally, we credit the city.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

DaveKCMO wrote:
I credit Eric Clapton
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

loftguy wrote:It was the 'Crosstown Connector' and up until the mid-90's there were still some people huffing and puffing to make this artery happen.
The shift from such insular thinking was building early momentum.

BTW, the term 'Crossroads' was a late 90's development. Prior to that it was 'Crosstown' and some other name that eludes me.
As the energy of the area started to build, a moniker was sought, found and stuck in place. Don't know who gets credit for that.
Am thinking it was Jim Leedy of Leedy-Voulkos Gallery, no?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

droopy wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
I credit Eric Clapton
Clapton would credit Robert Johnson.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Line Creek Loudmouth has a couple posts on this:

http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog/ ... ately.html

Maybe one more I couldn't find.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shinatoo wrote:
droopy wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
I credit Eric Clapton
Clapton would credit Robert Johnson.
Robert Johnson would credit Satan.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The area between 15th (Truman) and 31st Street was generally referred to as Midtown into the early 1990s, with everything south of 31st falling under 'Westport', although the naming transition began before then. 'Crossroads' is a made up thing that stuck, from the mid-late 90s. The 1977 "Kansas City: A Place In Time" from the Landmarks Commission of Kansas City, Missouri utilized the 'Midtown' definition for this area. I'll hunt for my copy of the book and try to scan that page.

https://www.amazon.com/Kansas-City-Miss ... B000KV744O
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Eon Blue wrote:Line Creek Loudmouth has a couple posts on this:

http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog/ ... ately.html

Maybe one more I couldn't find.
This is a separate limited access highway, a little further to the south, although it could be a spiritual predecessor. I think the thing we are talking about is the 22nd/23rd street connector between Cesar Chavez and 22nd and Grand.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

voltopt wrote:The area between 15th (Truman) and 31st Street was generally referred to as Midtown into the early 1990s, with everything south of 31st falling under 'Westport', although the naming transition began before then. 'Crossroads' is a made up thing that stuck, from the mid-late 90s. The 1977 "Kansas City: A Place In Time" from the Landmarks Commission of Kansas City, Missouri utilized the 'Midtown' definition for this area. I'll hunt for my copy of the book and try to scan that page.

https://www.amazon.com/Kansas-City-Miss ... B000KV744O
Some people still call this area midtown but I hear it a lot more from people who live here but were raised out of state, I think it should be called Midtown, it has similarities to Midtown Atlanta