East Side Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: East Side Development

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:New grocery store on Prospect looking to hire dozens of employees during weekend job fair: http://fox4kc.com/2018/02/23/new-grocer ... -job-fair/
This is the first look inside the new 40,000-square-foot supermarket. Unlike the Aldi store, which opened just to the south on Prospect, this new store offers full service shopping, stocking more than 50,000 items.
https://twitter.com/JermaineReed/status ... 4882193408

June 16 grand opening
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Between Kansas City's Troost And Prospect, Neighbors See A Green Future

http://kcur.org/post/between-kansas-cit ... e#stream/0
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I drove by something I didn't remember hearing about this week. A new project directly south of the Aldi's at ~9th and Paseo.

I think the sign said HUD Section 3 housing development.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I believe that would be the Quinlan Place apartments. Part of the Paseo Gateway redevelopment.

https://cityscenekc.com/two-new-residen ... east-edge/
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Does anyone know what’s going on with the east side development tax money?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Does anyone know what’s going on with the east side development tax money?
There's an editorial in the Star about this. Evidently the moneys have been accumulating successfully but there hasn't been a solid consensus on how to spend.

Really hope this is used effectively and does not turn into a "too many cooks in the kitchen" type thing between various interests.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edito ... 99834.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Thanks. I’m abroad and hadn’t seen that article. Not that I would have read something on the editorial page if I was in town. The Star’s new editorial board has taken a turn for the woke that I’m not interested in. Local muck racking and trolling of the Abouhalkah variety I could stomach, laugh at, even appreciate. The shit they are spewing now is the most basic bourgeois attempts to translate internet-ese that they can find. True cowtown shit.
Last edited by chingon on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This committee should take their time and do it right. No one wants another Citadel or 18th & Vine Part 1. Between Prospect MAX and Smart City 2.0, there is already a lot of focus on that corridor in the near-term.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:This committee should take their time and do it right. No one wants another Citadel or 18th & Vine Part 1. Between Prospect MAX and Smart City 2.0, there is already a lot of focus on that corridor in the near-term.
I’m very excited about Prospect MAX. I know next to nothing about Smart City (1 or 2.0, fo that matter). I’ll reserve judgement on the center city tax: Show-Me time.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:This committee should take their time and do it right. No one wants another Citadel or 18th & Vine Part 1. Between Prospect MAX and Smart City 2.0, there is already a lot of focus on that corridor in the near-term.
I’m very excited about Prospect MAX. I know next to nothing about Smart City (1 or 2.0, fo that matter). I’ll reserve judgement on the center city tax: Show-Me time.
Me, too! You'll see tangible evidence before end of 2018 at Petticoat & Main and 12th & Grand. Those will be the first completed stations, and both have level boarding!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The Star piece pointing out they decided to focus on jobs seems like a good one as long as it's not a Kansas-style jobs program where the money is given before jobs are made or a Full Employment Council program where KS businesses get incentives for hiring MO residents.

An eco dev program where a company must have a net increase in wages compared to the year before and the office must be based out of he impact zone to receive help could be a good one.

I would especially love to see a focus on jobs for teenagers (15-19). In terms of impact this age is where they're highly likely to commit to a life of crime and it directly helps this age group build up a positive job history. I can imagine a program where if a teen gets a job at partner businesses and keeps it and works a minimum number of hours both the business and teenager gets something extra (part of the incentive must raise their wage, part covers business cost).

A program where 1000 teens get $1 extra per hour could do a lot of good.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The new Sunfresh grocery store at Linwood and Prospect is open.

KC celebrates opening of new East Side grocery store
The Sun Fresh Market in the Linwood Shopping Center opened to speeches by Kansas City officials, performances by local drum and drill teams, and gift card giveaways. The $13 million grocery store project is the anchor of a revitalized retail project on Prospect Avenue between 31st Street and Linwood Boulevard. Two other retailers, Gen X Clothing and Rainbow, also has been upgraded as part of the project.
https://tinyurl.com/yd4vfjyw
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Loan fund targets abandoned KC houses for rehab instead of tear down
A new investment pool may help restore a lot more blighted homes in run-down neighborhoods.

Legal Aid of Western Missouri has helped create the first social investment pool to provide loans to rehabbers who are restoring abandoned houses in the urban core.
https://fox4kc.com/2018/08/21/loan-fund ... tear-down/
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:03 pm Loan fund targets abandoned KC houses for rehab instead of tear down
A new investment pool may help restore a lot more blighted homes in run-down neighborhoods.

Legal Aid of Western Missouri has helped create the first social investment pool to provide loans to rehabbers who are restoring abandoned houses in the urban core.
https://fox4kc.com/2018/08/21/loan-fund ... tear-down/
This is awesome. I've done work for Legal Aid with the acquisition of some of these blighted/abandoned houses and having a investment pool to help with rehab funding is going to be a great additional tool in their shed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ This is what we should be putting tax money to, not forcing high rise developments make some of their units ‘affordable’.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am ^ This is what we should be putting tax money to, not forcing high rise developments make some of their units ‘affordable’.
We can do both.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:02 am We can do both.
One is effective at providing affordable housing to the very poor in our community. The other just drops rent to make high end apartments accessible to the middle class. We need to get our priorities straight.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:34 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:02 am We can do both.
One is effective at providing affordable housing to the very poor in our community. The other just drops rent to make high end apartments accessible to the middle class. We need to get our priorities straight.
Not sure how (if at all) this could work, but I'd love to see some language in the incentive agreements stipulate that x amount of revenue generated get siphoned off to a neighborhood revitalization program like this. Maybe through PILOTS or some similar mechanism. KC's tax incentives have been a net positive, I'd be more interested in having the City Council or TIF Commission pushing for this alongside mandates for more affordable downtown units.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Home Rehabber Loan Fund

https://www.alt-cap.org/home-rehab
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City's ‘Revive The East Side’ Plan Moves Forward But Residents Are Still Skeptical

http://www.kcur.org/post/kansas-citys-r ... c#stream/0

The ministers are still demanding Paseo be renamed MLK Blvd--even after the recommendation came back to rename the airport.
The revised version would also put money toward renovation and reconstruction of homes on the city’s dangerous buildings list rather than demolishing them.

It would also change the name of Paseo Boulevard to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. A committee appointed by the mayor to find ways to honor King recommended naming Kansas City’s planned airport terminal after King, but a group of religious leaders insist Paseo should be renamed.