Liquor Licenses

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DaveKCMO wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:I'm going to side with giving more people a say in what happens in their neighborhood than less people. You're going to be much more likely to have people that care about the neighborhood have a voice.
understandable, but the 'more people' also means adding consenters that are farther from the liquor license holder -- up to 500 feet, i believe. so the person with the most impact now is diminished and someone two+ blocks away now has a say?
Are they changing the amount of land area that gets a vote?
Last edited by TheBigChuckbowski on Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd want a vote two blocks away from my condo.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Chuck, the ownership you describe is very unlikely to be involved in the liquor license approval process or to care.

There are many I know of, who are in the shoes represented by Nicholson in this circumstance and they typically are better informed, more involved and frankly businesslike and diplomatic.

I know there are gross examples otherwise, but this reality has to be accounted for too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If he is businesslike and diplomatic... Who is the one demanding bars close earlier than other bars, only serve certain drinks, don't play certain (*cough* rap *cough*) music?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

So, one guy owns 51% of a neighborhood and he gets veto power on what every other property owner can do on their property? This is good for property rights?
Last edited by TheBigChuckbowski on Fri May 13, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I have limited info on the case specifics you are referring to KCPowercat, which includes your 'quote' and I'm told that it's a distorted or at least twisted perspective on the story.

What many of you are not considering, is that large property owners have often been the support mechanism that has allowed many establishments to provide alcohol and I have to wonder if those establishments would have been successful in their pursuit of licensing under the proposed changes.

In growing a community and supporting your investments, well run establishments that serves a lot of booze in a variety of venues are an important component in an urban communities development.

If I had my way, no public consent, or church zone, or other prohibition would be in place.

Allow tavens every seven feet, if the owner of the property wants to have a tavern. Just have reasonable and well enforced controls on noise and other nuisances which prevent bad neighbors.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think your last part is why the neighborhoods are fighting this at the front. The city isn't good at (and probably has its hands tied somewhat) after the bar is open... Hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

I don't pretend to know the whole truth behind all this. I know of one brewery that had to jump through some of these neighborhood hoops that seemed pretty silly considering what they opened.

I totally get wanting to ensure an all night rave club doesn't pop up next to your property.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I am hoping that since all involved seem intelligent and well meaning that this will get solved. The timeline for the new reg was sketchy at best.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Xroads has a liquor license problem...
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... oblem.html

It's up to Xroads residents to decide what it wants to be and I can understand not wanting to become Westport/P&L party district. But limiting a restaurant to one red, one white wine and one beer out of fear of becoming a bar district?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Xroads has a liquor license problem...
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... oblem.html

It's up to Xroads residents to decide what it wants to be and I can understand not wanting to become Westport/P&L party district. But limiting a restaurant to one red, one white wine and one beer out of fear of becoming a bar district?
residents didn't ask for that one.

if you talk to residents, they don't want excessive noise or anything after midnight or 1:30am. pretty standard resident perspective.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I totally understand that, but when you decide to live downtown, doesn't that kind of come with the location?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:I totally understand that, but when you decide to live downtown, doesn't that kind of come with the location?
does it? and is that for people who don't live downtown to decide? the crossroads is not an official entertainment district. that designation is for plaza, westport, 18th/vine, P&L, and zona rosa.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I see both sides.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I totally understand that, but when you decide to live downtown, doesn't that kind of come with the location?
does it? and is that for people who don't live downtown to decide? the crossroads is not an official entertainment district. that designation is for plaza, westport, 18th/vine, P&L, and zona rosa.
When the crossroads claim to fame is an art event with free wine, it kind of brought that unofficial entertainment district mindset onto itself.... But I totally understand thr need to focus the 3am entertainment venues... But the law as written definitely includes the crossroads as prime 3am bar area.

As one that lives by a busy 3am bar I get wanting to keep a hold on new places for the residents sake... But I also feel like I knew what I was getting into when I bought the place.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

An under 21 dance club that doesn't sell alcohol blasting music to the outdoors is a problem.
A bar that calls cabs is not a problem.

There's even simple design solution to the problem. Churches use vestibules to keep noise out. Require them for any facility that wants to sell alcohol and play music. A small room at the entrance that could be used for ID checks in bad weather and such.

I'm not against alcohol sales, I'm against annoying noise every night of the week and it doesn't matter if it's downtown or not. There's a perfectly fine noise ordinance for these issues.

A special event is a different story. People move downtown to be close to events, not close to a 3am club every night of the week.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:When the crossroads claim to fame is an art event with free wine, it kind of brought that unofficial entertainment district mindset onto itself.... But I totally understand thr need to focus the 3am entertainment venues... But the law as written definitely includes the crossroads as prime 3am bar area.

As one that lives by a busy 3am bar I get wanting to keep a hold on new places for the residents sake... But I also feel like I knew what I was getting into when I bought the place.
the law "as written" allows a 3am bar anywhere in the city that isn't trumped by the density restrictions (don't ask, but these density restrictions that limit the number of licenses were removed from downtown and crossroads while no one was looking), doesn't matter whether it's an entertainment district or not. regardless, no new 3am licenses have been approved in the crossroads in years (but they do get passed down to many new owners, hence the hesitation to approve them).

keep in mind first friday events almost always end by 9 or 10 and only happen once a month. most galleries eventually give up on free wine because people do stupid things. you rarely see it at the established commercial galleries anymore (blue, leedy-voulkos, sherry leedy, studios).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Liquor Licenses

Post by KCPowercat »

Aren't 3am licenses restricted to entertainment districts or within x miles of a convention hotel? Is my mind making that up?

I totally get what you are saying... But to the region, the crossroads has become an entertainment district for an evening event... Which I think is why the neighborhood is struggling with the influx of bars much more than the cbd or river market.