West Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: West Plaza

Post by chaglang »

IIRC the bigger chunk would be taken out of the parking on the east side of SWTRFY, where the Blockbuster used to be.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Now where the Mattress store is? That parking lot is already a cluster fuck because it's so small and theres so much parking. Don't think I would be opposed to changing it. Business owners there would probably feel differently though.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Looks like they are doing resurfacing on Madison from Westport to the Plaza. There are some massive holes on it at the moment be advised.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

We need a neighborhood patrol badly between the shit that goes on with breaks in to the wrecks on 45th and Madison. Seriously it's becoming a weekly thing at that damn intersection.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Those three-lane one ways (Madison and Belleview) are a recipe for collisions :(
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bchociej wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 pm Those three-lane one ways (Madison and Belleview) are a recipe for collisions :(
Incredibly, most of the time they're practical one lane roads. People park on both sides. Makes the situation even worse.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Perhaps KCRag needs a separate thread for discussion of Southwest Trafficway and its arterial feeders (Belleview and Madison). SW Trfwy items pop up in all manner of unrelated threads. Moderators, please consider this.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I made a little map of all the houses built in the West Plaza over the past 8-9 years. There are quite a few, and this is just off the top of my head and a little googling. I'm sure there are more. A couple are in the westwood area, but it all kind of bleeds together. I think most of those new houses list today at north of $1 million.

I added in houses that i think were completely rehabbed/flipped. I'm pretty sure most of these are accurate, but again, its just the ones i can think of off the top of my head.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Nothing northeast of Roanoke? Between Roanoke and Belleview is West Plaza also.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Possibly, but i honestly am never in that wedge and so don't really know

edit- some of the apartments there have been rehabbed, for sure. but i didn't really take that into consideration
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

kboish wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:11 pm I made a little map of all the houses built in the West Plaza over the past 8-9 years. There are quite a few, and this is just off the top of my head and a little googling. I'm sure there are more. A couple are in the westwood area, but it all kind of bleeds together. I think most of those new houses list today at north of $1 million.

I added in houses that i think were completely rehabbed/flipped. I'm pretty sure most of these are accurate, but again, its just the ones i can think of off the top of my head.
Damn, kboish, that's impressive. Thanks for putting that map together!
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 am Perhaps KCRag needs a separate thread for discussion of Southwest Trafficway and its arterial feeders (Belleview and Madison). SW Trfwy items pop up in all manner of unrelated threads. Moderators, please consider this.
I agree with this. The abomination of Southwest Trafficway and the awful Westport Road intersection are one of my hobby horses.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

That is a really cool map. Thanks for tracking the progress. Had some fun in street view based on your work.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 am
herrfrank wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 am Perhaps KCRag needs a separate thread for discussion of Southwest Trafficway and its arterial feeders (Belleview and Madison). SW Trfwy items pop up in all manner of unrelated threads. Moderators, please consider this.
I agree with this. The abomination of Southwest Trafficway and the awful Westport Road intersection are one of my hobby horses.
Agreed. I don't know exactly what to do about SWT. The street parking, the high average speeds, hitting Freshwater multiple times, the Westport Road and the 39th street intersections are just garbage. It's been this way for so long with minimal desire to change it.
I know there was some discussion of a roundabout on SW and Westport a few decades ago but the adjacent LL's wouldn't give up their ROW. Complete clutser, just stroad things...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Star doing a writeup of the development occurring in WP.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 85747.html

Nothing much new. If any part of the city had a claim to say gentrification was occurring, I'd say its here and Westport/Plaza NH. But, I think some of the alarm bells are a bit overblown. They won't tear down all of the bungalows. Lots of them are in good shape. Some of the stuff they are tearing down are real POS. Some are 1970s duplex garbage. But...its a real thing that the average sales price 10 years ago in this area is now the price for a vacant lot or tear down to build a million dollar house. Thats wild.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I used to jog by that lot at 48th and Mercier and agree, that street was definitely on the shabby side. Hell hath no fury like a NIMBY. If you tamp down on new construction unreasonably, people will just build out in Overland Park.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:17 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:34 am I used to jog by that lot at 48th and Mercier and agree, that street was definitely on the shabby side. Hell hath no fury like a NIMBY. If you tamp down on new construction unreasonably, people will just build out in Overland Park.
48th and Mercier wasn't shady LMAO
Shabby and shady have inherently different connotations
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:42 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:27 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:17 pm

48th and Mercier wasn't shady LMAO
Shabby and shady have inherently different connotations
Mhm. A guy who doesn't even live in the West Plaza trying to force others out and calls it NIMBYISM.
Who’s trying to force who out???
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Mhm. A guy who doesn't even live in the West Plaza trying to force others out and calls it NIMBYISM.
1.6 mil dollar homes will undoubtedly rise costs in the whole area
It's unfortunate that people's homes have appreciated in value, I mean it's not like that hasn't been happening for the past 100 years minus the great recession. I feel bad for people who live in smaller bungalows and maybe can't afford the additional taxes, but that shouldn't mean they get to dictate what others do with their land, within reason.

Yes, I said shaby, not shady and as noted, I would jog through there all the time. This is specifically the area I recall, half new builds mixed in with some small bungalows that were rough around the edges. It looks like from the satellite that those vacant lots have been built on since then.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0412558 ... 384!8i8192
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:48 pm

1.6 mil dollar homes will undoubtedly rise costs in the whole area
Okay… that’s economics