West Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

West Plaza

Post by jasty5 »

Didn't see a good thread on this, so I thought I would add one.

I have been seeing a lot of infill housing popping up in the West Plaza neighborhood, and the velocity seems to be increasing. Most of the larger lots are being targeted for new, larger homes. I would love to have this area end up a blend of well maintained bungalows, nice in-fill housing of various architectural design, high quality (boutique) multifamily projects with off-street parking, and neighborhood retail. I think the city really lacks enough neighborhoods with this kind of a blend, Westside of downtown is somewhat experiencing this, but other than that there isn't a lot of it. I would have to think that new construction in-fill single family homes will increase in popularity as the charter schools and KC signature schools continue to gain enrollment, and families continue to choose to stay in the city.

Does anyone know if current city zoning for the area (or any area in mid-town for that matter) is flexible enough to foster this type of growth?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: West Plaza

Post by chaglang »

This sounds a lot like Plaza-Westport.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Between 46th, 48th, Stateline and the plaza, I count 18 houses currently in active construction or in the development pipeline. Pretty crazy considering there are hardly any vacant lots. Most of the tear downs have been functional obsolete homes. In my opinion, this is great for the neighborhood and ensures a healthy neighborhood will exist of newer construction, older well-maintained homes, and homes of different sizes and price ranges. Wish we had more of this in KC...
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

You see the latest monstrosity going up? Fits in well with all the bungalows.

"this custom residential home is designed to transition the clients from traditional stylings to a contemporary, minimalist lifestyle." NSPJ

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Oh....oh no
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That’s something.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I like it! Perhaps it is going along Mercier, along with those other large modern homes? The only thing I don't understand is the large stone section above the garage.

https://nspjarch.com/portfolio/contempo ... laza-home/

https://nspjarch.com/weaving-modern-west-plaza/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The land use is inexcusably, irresponsibly bad for an urban neighborhood.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 pm The land use is inexcusably, irresponsibly bad for an urban neighborhood.
Sure, I agree, but it's in a neighborhood surrounded by other houses. I don't know the lot or situation, but maybe multi-family wasn't feasible financially or otherwise. I like the modern designs.

Here's another NSPJ home for sale;
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 35#photo25
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

So many Kansas City neighborhoods struggle with density that it’s sad to see one of the few that does it well going backwards. If this was a one-off and not part of a larger trend in that area it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

At least it has that detached garage on the right side of the picture.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm At least it has that detached garage on the right side of the picture.
=D>
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 pm So many Kansas City neighborhoods struggle with density that it’s sad to see one of the few that does it well going backwards. If this was a one-off and not part of a larger trend in that area it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.
This house is being built on an existing double lot, two lots were not combined. The previous house was a mid-50’s almost ranch style home. I am a fan of the diversity of architectural styles and income levels in the neighborhood. Some of the homes have poor massing (like the one on terrace), but most have blended in. Most of the homes I’ve seen that are being torn down are in terrible condition.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

jasty5 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 am
chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 pm So many Kansas City neighborhoods struggle with density that it’s sad to see one of the few that does it well going backwards. If this was a one-off and not part of a larger trend in that area it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.
This house is being built on an existing double lot, two lots were not combined. The previous house was a mid-50’s almost ranch style home. I am a fan of the diversity of architectural styles and income levels in the neighborhood. Some of the homes have poor massing (like the one on terrace), but most have blended in. Most of the homes I’ve seen that are being torn down are in terrible condition.
Jasty let me make this short and sweet. The previous home was a perfectly solid stone and renovated home. Clint Evans and his Dad bought it (cash) from the couple that occupied it, tore it down and created two lots. "Lots for Sale". Neither "lot" sold so Evans flipped it to a well to do couple.... on and on and on. Zoning and planning tweaked the rules (anything else new?) ... Anyway that's the way it is and goes so it's what is. The working classes and families that have dominated the west plaza (bungalow folks) will just have to find somewhere else to live. You deluded if you think the WP is going to embrace diverse income levels. At least over on here on the East Side next to the Plaza. We never know though do we? Stranger things have happened.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Steve52 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 am
jasty5 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 am
Jasty let me make this short and sweet. The previous home was a perfectly solid stone and renovated home. Clint Evans and his Dad bought it (cash) from the couple that occupied it, tore it down and created two lots. "Lots for Sale". Neither "lot" sold so Evans flipped it to a well to do couple.... on and on and on. Zoning and planning tweaked the rules (anything else new?) ... Anyway that's the way it is and goes so it's what it is. The working classes and families that have dominated the west plaza (bungalow folks) will just have to find somewhere else to live. Your deluded if you think the the new WP is going to embrace diverse income levels. At least over on here on the East Side next to the Plaza. We never know though do we? Stranger things have happened.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

jasty5 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:41 am Between 46th, 48th, Stateline and the plaza, I count 18 houses currently in active construction or in the development pipeline. Pretty crazy considering there are hardly any vacant lots. Most of the tear downs have been functional obsolete homes. In my opinion, this is great for the neighborhood and ensures a healthy neighborhood will exist of newer construction, older well-maintained homes, and homes of different sizes and price ranges. Wish we had more of this in KC...
LOL your giving yourself away. Who you work for? Apparently your one of the new "players" who intend to remain onstage when all the now shell shocked and wobbly-kneed neighborhood Mitigationists depart this earth in tears for a mysterious realm that turns out not to be a pre 2010 era "charming" West Plaza with a happy gardener in every front yard.

Anyway at this point conflict isn't going to help anything or anybody at this point. Things have become tense and stressful enough in the West Plaza as it is. Have a good day.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think its great for the neighborhood and like jasty, think most of the houses torn down were not well kept. Most of the new builds look great either for their contrast to the old bungalows or how they compliment them. There are exceptions.

I would say the last round of development when crappy duplexes were built (in the 60s-80s or whenever) did more harm to West Plaza than these modern single family houses.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

This thread would drive Steve Dirks crazy
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

On another note what's going on with the midtown crossing project on Bellview?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Glad this thread was started. West Plaza is an interesting community. Very vocal on Nextdoor and FB groups. They have some challenges unique to Midtown.

Not necessarily within West Plaza, but likely of interest: I heard word of mouth that a local brewery and bar is opening in the shops near Hi-Hat on State Line. Source was involved in some manner, doing this as side gig/corporate retirement thing.