34th Terrace & Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mykn

Re: 34th Terrace & Main

Post by mykn »

It's too late Darlene, I live right next to this "development" and I can't even use main anymore. It's just non-stop traffic jams. And they built it SO close to the street, I'm fearful that it will blot out the sun this winter and Main street will become just a huge sheet of ice. Won't anyone think of the cars that have to drive by this monstrosity?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Counter-troll 8/10, commendable effort with slight room for improvement.
mykn

Post by mykn »

The worst part is the parking garage for this building. As a cis-gendered straightish white male of Danish ancestry, I would have felt much safer at night parking at the Burger King’s surface lot and walking over.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Darlene you have the strangest and most negative posts... this building looks great and will massively improve the neighborhood. Just curious, what part of the city do you live in?
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

TrolliKC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 pm Darlene you have the strangest and most negative posts... this building looks great and will massively improve the neighborhood. Just curious, what part of the city do you live in?
Probably somewhere around 164939227th & Metcalf in beige paradise.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Although 164939227 & Metcalf is pretty funny, I didn't mean anything offensive. I had seen her earlier post on the Plaza at main street about lots of homeless and now this post on an (IMHO) underutilized but what could be very important part of Main and was curious whether she was in this general area and why her experiences are different than what I was thinking. I also didn't really understand "mykn" posts whether he was serious or joking and why he would feel unsafe.

I think this building is an improvement and would expect to see much greater development begin to occur in anticipation of the street car. There are plenty of underutilized spots, including next door at the Burger King or across the street at the Avis parking lot. I am guessing if Darlene and mykn really live close by they are really going to hate if the Netherlands at 38th and Main gets redeveloped.
mykn

Post by mykn »

TrolliKC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:04 pm Although 164939227 & Metcalf is pretty funny, I didn't mean anything offensive. I had seen her earlier post on the Plaza at main street about lots of homeless and now this post on an (IMHO) underutilized but what could be very important part of Main and was curious whether she was in this general area and why her experiences are different than what I was thinking. I also didn't really understand "mykn" posts whether he was serious or joking and why he would feel unsafe.

I think this building is an improvement and would expect to see much greater development begin to occur in anticipation of the street car. There are plenty of underutilized spots, including next door at the Burger King or across the street at the Avis parking lot. I am guessing if Darlene and mykn really live close by they are really going to hate if the Netherlands at 38th and Main gets redeveloped.
I was trolling, Darlene's is an actual troll.

Darlene's standard refrain is "I'm just a woman so I don't like parking garages because they make me feel unsafe, I wish we had endless planes of surface lots instead". That, in good faith, shouldn't be made fun of but instead should be a good chance for us to talk about how to make urban areas more safe for people who are worried about their personal safety. However Darlene is such an obvious troll that I give zero shits, which apparently came across in the effort of my counter-trolling.

Edit: I do legitimately live across from this development, Linwood & Baltimore
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:17 pm
TrolliKC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 pm Darlene you have the strangest and most negative posts... this building looks great and will massively improve the neighborhood. Just curious, what part of the city do you live in?
Probably somewhere around 164939227th & Metcalf in beige paradise.
I had to check and at 8 blocks to a mile that makes this location 20.6 million miles away. That's most of the way to Mars.

I picture a scene like from the movie Contact where the rich white guy, Hadden, moved to the space station to get away from Earth
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

mykn wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 am
TrolliKC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:04 pm Although 164939227 & Metcalf is pretty funny, I didn't mean anything offensive. I had seen her earlier post on the Plaza at main street about lots of homeless and now this post on an (IMHO) underutilized but what could be very important part of Main and was curious whether she was in this general area and why her experiences are different than what I was thinking. I also didn't really understand "mykn" posts whether he was serious or joking and why he would feel unsafe.

I was trolling, Darlene's is an actual troll.

Darlene's standard refrain is "I'm just a woman so I don't like parking garages because they make me feel unsafe, I wish we had endless planes of surface lots instead". That, in good faith, shouldn't be made fun of but instead should be a good chance for us to talk about how to make urban areas more safe for people who are worried about their personal safety. However Darlene is such an obvious troll that I give zero shits, which apparently came across in the effort of my counter-trolling.

Edit: I do legitimately live across from this development, Linwood & Baltimore
ha - then I completely understand. My apologies for being a dumbass :)
mykn

Post by mykn »

Na, you're good
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So any word on the success of this building? Not seeing any other prefab high rises going up. Thought this was going to start a trend.

Did notice there is ground floor retail but it's sat empty so far.

Also, what happened to Darlene?
mykn

Post by mykn »

Darlene is too busy with their position on the city council to troll
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm
Why not just offer these retail spots for free or deeply discounted. It's an eye sore when these ground retail spots just sit empty
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:14 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm
Why not just offer these retail spots for free or deeply discounted. It's an eye sore when these ground retail spots just sit empty
Math.

Some businesses will only sign super long lease terms. It might be more profitable to leave it empty for years and wait for someone to pay their full rate on a long term than lose out on full rent for 10-20 years.

Profit margins don't care about eye sores.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New York City is considering vacancy taxes, or penalties, on empty retail spaces.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/30/de-blasio ... op-dollar/