North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Post by kboish »

I don't think a thread exists for this yet, feel free to merge if it does.

The Plan commission is scheduled to look at a case for a proposed hotel on the block bounded by 46th, 46th Ter, Broadway, and Wornall (just north of the residence inn). It looks like they are asking for a change to allow a building of 12-15 stories (instead of 4-10 stories) and calls for a 228,770 square foot mixed use development.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Interesting. Any word on who is behind this or the proposed hotel flag? I wonder if it could be a reworking of the failed Hyatt proposal for the Victory Court site.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

that's to this hotel project
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -near.html

If they take the empty space/parking lots on the north end, that's about the same parcel space as the 16th/Baltimore hotel
that hotel project was 223 rooms, the downtown hotel is getting 250 rooms in 10 floors

so 12-15 floors makes it logical the same hotel developer just moved around the corner and they're going to do a project styled much like Arterra with a parking pedestal and rooms above or Chartwell with a garage on one end

Victory Court became this project for reference
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tives.html

a business friendly hotel would be great news. they want to build a block from a new office tower. that's confidence in the office market for KC itself
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... club-plaza

Vockrodt has the scoop. Apparently they plan an apartment building also
The Plaza area may get another two tall buildings in the near future. A developer has designs for a 168-unit apartment building and a nearby 252-room hotel at 46th Street and Wornall.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Cue the "save the plaza" people
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote:Cue the "save the plaza" people
God I hope not. Looks like a really interesting project.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Save a parking lot?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I want to preserve most of the original Plaza buildings, but I have no problem with either of the proposed buildings. If I recall, taller buildings are supposed to be allowed on the edges of the original Plaza under the "bowl concept" variances that were part of area development and zoning plan. The developer isn't tearing down an original Plaza building, and they are essentially developing vacant lots (which we want). They are adding to the population density of the neighborhood in a place than should get higher-density buildings.

The proposed buildings are not side-by-side with the original Spanish architecture, so they wouldn't really affect it, nor would those designs necessarily ruin the integrity of the original Plaza area. These are mid-sized buildings, not skyscrapers. Parkway Towers on Wornall, and 4646 Broadway, are about the same height as the proposed buildings, and they are adjacent. Those two existing buildings are also not Spanish architecture.

That being said, I wish the developer was instead proposing the 13-story apartment building downtown inside the Loop--like at 10th and Grand, in the East Village, or in the Crossroads at 16th and Main.

This is not something I think is worthy of having a big fight over. Save that for attempting to preserve the original Plaza buildings. Ones that merit it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Prediction confirmed. KCStar today says the neighborhood association opposes the project - with density being the culprit. I never will understand people who live in urban areas and oppose density.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

And I don't understand the government of a city desperately in need of increased density - especially a government that acknowledges that need - consistently rolling over at every complaint.

And, it seems to me, the proposed building do fit the Plaza plan.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:
Prediction confirmed. KCStar today says the neighborhood association opposes the project - with density being the culprit. I never will understand people who live in urban areas and oppose density.
because it's not really urban. all of the uses are segregated and the majority are single-family homes.

i read a great quote the other day: "people don't oppose density of people, they oppose density of cars."
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Highlander wrote:
But guys, how is the Plaza going to remain exclusive to only KC's finest if more and more apartments get built?!
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

mgh7676 wrote:But guys, how is the Plaza going to remain exclusive to only KC's finest if more and more apartments get built?!
They'll re-brand everything north of 46th Terrace as South Westport?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've heard there may be major infrastructure challenges for size of project in that particular location - sewer and water specifically.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote:
For the record, I wanted to be wrong.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

People are like this in my midtown neighborhood, they are actually starting to complain about street parking. It makes me sick, why do these people live here if they don't want density, don't they realize it was the density that made Kansas City a great place to begin with.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If anyone needs a height reference, the historic apartment buildings on the south side of Ward Parkways are 11 stories tall.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"don't they realize it was the density that made Kansas City a great place to begin with."

Kansas City wasn't all that dense in the past. That was one of the problems with the early streetcar system. Remember many eastern cities grew before any form of mass transit, which compacted the population. Growth in Kansas City occurred as the trolley/streetcar systems came into being. One of the reasons for the local streetcars was to develop the then new suburbs Almost every new system or extension went beyond the developed city and into areas ready for new housing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LA had the same problem.