North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Post by moderne » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:42 pm

My great grandmother lived in one of those apartment hotels east of Oak in distressed circumstances in the early sixties. I have dim memories of visiting, crossing the viaduct from KCK (horrible stench of death, shit and blood from the slaughterhouses). The building of course did not have AC and even window units then were a bourgeois luxury. The apartments had a regular hall solid hallway door faced with a louvered door that had a gap above and below. The tenants kept the solid door open to get a cross ventilation into their units. I just remember all the funky cooking and other odors. Urban living was not as pleasant as it is today.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:36 pm

When I moved to KC from New York City, I looked at an apartment at the University Towers (now Manhattan condos) at E. 8th and Holmes. They also had solid doors and a screened door, so that you could leave the solid door open and lock the screened door to the hallway. This was also a ventilation thing to create cross-breezes.

When I lived in NYC, I visited several friends who lived in old walkup tenement buildings. Some were filled with Puerto-Ricans, and other immigrants, who used to leave the doors to their apartments wide open to the hallway. You could walk past and look into their apartments. Many times, an extended family lived on the same floor of the building, and their kids would wander from apartment to apartment (parents, grandparents, cousins). It was a strange arrangement to me, because any stranger entering the building could walk into their apartment. However, the residents didn't seem worried about it.

Like you mentioned, in those situations you would encounter a lot of strange odors coming from the apartments, and often loud-talking, screaming, blaring TVs, and music.

For a few years, I lived in a modern apartment building owned by an adjacent hospital that had a lot of Filipino nurses living in it. There were always a lot of strange cooking smells coming from the apartments.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 pm

moderne wrote:I was not asking about the time period when these buildings were built, I was asking about post WWI. These photos were from the 1940s and many elevator buildings were built in midtown and plaza between WWI and 1940, but not DT.
Probably not built downtown since that area was already built out. The Plaza was definitely virgin territory with mass transit access to downtown, and of course the auto. Midtown maybe wasn't as virgin as the Plaza but that was where much of the money went as the rich left Quality Hill.

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by chingon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 pm

moderne wrote:My great grandmother lived in one of those apartment hotels east of Oak in distressed circumstances in the early sixties. I have dim memories of visiting, crossing the viaduct from KCK (horrible stench of death, shit and blood from the slaughterhouses). The building of course did not have AC and even window units then were a bourgeois luxury. The apartments had a regular hall solid hallway door faced with a louvered door that had a gap above and below. The tenants kept the solid door open to get a cross ventilation into their units. I just remember all the funky cooking and other odors. Urban living was not as pleasant as it is today.
A few midtown apartment buildings still have those.

hgascoigne
Pad site
Pad site

Post by hgascoigne » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Looks like they came to an agreement: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... owers.html

UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am

Any updates on this project in the past year?

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kboish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am

They have been excavating for a few months now. Looks like they are getting close to finishing that part and will be ready to go vertical soon.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by earthling » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:35 am

I think that's a different project at about 45th/Broadway. The 46th/Bway still has a long road to approval.

KCtoBrooklyn
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am

kboish wrote:They have been excavating for a few months now. Looks like they are getting close to finishing that part and will be ready to go vertical soon.
I think you may be thinking of the office tower site on Pennsylvania. I don't think there is any work going on at this site yet.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kboish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:29 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
kboish wrote:They have been excavating for a few months now. Looks like they are getting close to finishing that part and will be ready to go vertical soon.
I think you may be thinking of the office tower site on Pennsylvania. I don't think there is any work going on at this site yet.
actually i was waay off. I just saw North-Plaza hotel and I was thinking of 44th and Southwest trafficway/Madison. They are digging out the spot for that little car-centric hotel.

I'm not sure what the status is for the 46th and Broadway hotel.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kboish » Wed May 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Does anyone know what is up with this project?