Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28599
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Savoy was dead way before that fire....and the HH fire was because it was dead.

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by missingkc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Insightful. Poetic. No, really.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6769
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 pm

KCPowercat wrote:Savoy was dead way before that fire....and the HH fire was because it was dead.
At my first job one of our vendors stayed at the Savoy (circa 2012?) They said it was horrible food.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28599
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Thought someone hinted at this earlier but True Food Kitchen is going in where P3 was.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2331
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kboish » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm

KCPowercat wrote:Thought someone hinted at this earlier but True Food Kitchen is going in where P3 was.
Link to article confirming.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by brewcrew1000 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

True food is great addition for the plaza. Had it in phx a couple times

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1900
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kcjak » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 am

Burberry closing - last day is March 24.

User avatar
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by LCDSI » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 am

kcjak wrote:Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
That's really unfortunate. Burberry is one of the few nicer stores on the Plaza.

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:19 am
Location: NKC

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCLover » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm

kcjak wrote:Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
These are the kind of stores that the plaza needs so this is disheartening.

User avatar
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by LCDSI » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:51 pm

KCLover wrote:
kcjak wrote:Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
These are the kind of stores that the plaza needs so this is disheartening.
Agreed.

Plus recent articles point to the new CEO wanting to move away from areas that are not wealthy. Apparently, he visited all the stores in the US and I'm guessing the Kansas City area is not luxurious enough.

https://news.sky.com/story/burberry-to- ... h-11119247

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3840
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by loftguy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:43 pm

LCDSI wrote:
KCLover wrote:
kcjak wrote:Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
These are the kind of stores that the plaza needs so this is disheartening.
Agreed.

Plus recent articles point to the new CEO wanting to move away from areas that are not wealthy. Apparently, he visited all the stores in the US and I'm guessing the Kansas City area is not luxurious enough.

https://news.sky.com/story/burberry-to- ... h-11119247
Bloody hell.
Now where will i find Megan and Harry tea towels?

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3401
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: South Plaza

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chingon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 pm

What will ever become of the Plah-Za without our beloved prole drift signifiers. They should open a store there that just sells worry wart cream.

User avatar
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1825
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 12:05 pm
Location: ~Westwood~

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by MidtownCat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:47 pm

kcjak wrote:Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
Unbelievable. The Metro Northization of the Plaza continues. And the beat goes on!

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1900
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kcjak » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:34 am

So the teen mobs are back on the weekends again. How we get this stopped?

http://www.kmbc.com/article/plaza-emplo ... s/19125539

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6769
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 am

kcjak wrote:So the teen mobs are back on the weekends again. How we get this stopped?
Convert our government into a military junta.

We can't stop it, we can only provide alternatives that the kids choose over this. They have the right to be there.

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1900
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kcjak » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 am

I'm completely against that line of thinking. It's not my responsibility to provide someone else's kids with entertainment options.

yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by yeliab » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am

How much more security do they need? Last time I spent any amount of time at the Plaza on a weekend, I was sitting at a bench, talking to my mom while waiting for our movie to start. There were probably 40 cops standing around on one corner, cursing, spitting, and letting their horses crap all over without cleaning it up. I didn't see any masses of kids, but I did see two (black) kids who seemed to already be on their way out of the theater rushed and scolded by a female officer. That atmosphere was so sickening I don't even like to spend time there at all anymore.

The cops or Plaza won't even release anything about what supposedly happened, and the only reports confirmed by video or Police/Plaza authorities are that there are groups of kids walking down the street (who, as flyingember rightly points out, have the right to be there). Further, these stories are also always completely leaving out the racist, exclusionary history of the Plaza/J.C. Nichols/Kansas City, which I think is much more relevant than anyone seems to want to acknowledge.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4522
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Time for a KCPD foot patrol unit with a Plaza branch?

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by brewcrew1000 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 pm

I was just wondering has anyone ever really witnessed something like this and would you describe it in the fearful way the media describes it? How do we know the media isn't blowing this out of proportion? There was another article with a person that lives on that plaza in a condo and they said their car was kicked while they were waiting at a stop light and now they are thinking about selling their condo on the plaza. Wonder if the person that had the car kicked was actually way out in the crosswalk, which is something i've actually done to a car that is way out in the crosswalk, it probably happens daily in NYC.

At one point they said the Movie Theater was a problem but i've never ever witnessed it in my life. The bigger problem might be the Cheesecake Factory. It has a huge gathering area outside so something that might look like out of control teens might just be impatient/bored teens waiting to eat food or just loiter so they are getting wild and goofing off so it trickles down to sacred people possibly calling the cops coming out, then the teens scatter once the cops come then the media portrays it as a flash mob/out of control teens
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1900
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kcjak » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm

yeliab wrote:How much more security do they need? Last time I spent any amount of time at the Plaza on a weekend, I was sitting at a bench, talking to my mom while waiting for our movie to start. There were probably 40 cops standing around on one corner, cursing, spitting, and letting their horses crap all over without cleaning it up. I didn't see any masses of kids, but I did see two (black) kids who seemed to already be on their way out of the theater rushed and scolded by a female officer. That atmosphere was so sickening I don't even like to spend time there at all anymore.

The cops or Plaza won't even release anything about what supposedly happened, and the only reports confirmed by video or Police/Plaza authorities are that there are groups of kids walking down the street (who, as flyingember rightly points out, have the right to be there). Further, these stories are also always completely leaving out the racist, exclusionary history of the Plaza/J.C. Nichols/Kansas City, which I think is much more relevant than anyone seems to want to acknowledge.
I've experienced it first hand and it IS frightening. I avoid the Plaza on Saturday nights and know other people who won't even go after dark on any night because. I live in midtown and would rather deal with a rough crowd in Westport than going to the Plaza on a Saturday night.

The video from last weekend and from what I've seen in person is not simply kids walking down the street peacefully all evening long. There are incidents where people are knocked to the ground. Kids damaging cars by hitting them or walking on the hoods. Shoppers are cursed at. Employees are being assaulted and/or robbed when leaving work. Put additional surveillance cameras around and use that as evidence.

Post Reply