Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by missingkc »

This church belongs to the denomination The Church of Christ, Scientist. Not Scientology.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

My bad.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The folks who don't believe in doctors, not the ones who believe in xenu.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Per CityScape column, Elly's brunch cafe closed in 4800 Main building (former Board of Trade).

Bummer, I liked it reasonably well and the more brunch spots (and retail off plaza) the merrier. Too bad.

Article also notes that the Eat Fit Go location there closed as well, but was part of a corporate bankruptcy.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:47 am Per CityScape column, Elly's brunch cafe closed in 4800 Main building (former Board of Trade).

Bummer, I liked it reasonably well and the more brunch spots (and retail off plaza) the merrier. Too bad.

Article also notes that the Eat Fit Go location there closed as well, but was part of a corporate bankruptcy.
I was bummed, too - liked it so much better than Eggtc or First Watch and easy to get in. I'm guessing they didn't have much weekday business.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Elly's - am guessing it's about weekday biz too. They were busy weekends but I've been weekdays several times recently and it had below avg crowd for the size of space. Maybe the rent too high, is a rather large space.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is LarkBurger doing well at that spot? I like that retail development but its gonna look pretty empty, I've never had trouble finding parking in that area.

I really like Elly's and have been to the ones in Chicago, i can't stand Eggtc and First Watch, they seem to hold a monopoly on the Mid-Tier price point Suburban Breakfast market.

I really wish KC would get an Original Pancake House its still my favorite breakfast place
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Huddle House? Tim Hortons? other Burger joints?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://fox4kc.com/2018/12/17/longtime- ... -new-name/

Tomfooleries Plaza moving to 10th and Broadway (next to the Quaff) and rebranding. No word on new tenant for Plaza space.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 am https://fox4kc.com/2018/12/17/longtime- ... -new-name/

Tomfooleries Plaza moving to 10th and Broadway (next to the Quaff) and rebranding. No word on new tenant for Plaza space.
I feel like it's a terrible move. I'm still confused with the Garment building and I live right next to it. I heard the Broadway Bistro was now called something else pretty much as soon as they hung the sign up outside. It sucks to say, but this area doesn't get a ton of foot traffic for anything except for the Quaff and the Peanut.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rebranding sounds like a very dumb idea.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

First Byron, now Tomfooleries leaving - I have to wonder if the Jack Henry building is going to be torn down for another development. Are there any other businesses left on the second and third levels? Anything other than FedEx?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

kcjak wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 am First Byron, now Tomfooleries leaving - I have to wonder if the Jack Henry building is going to be torn down for another development. Are there any other businesses left on the second and third levels? Anything other than FedEx?
Tomfooleries owner is saying Apartments and Nordstrom Rack

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 73125.html

Between Byron and Tomf space I think there would be enough room for a a Nordstrom Rack. However, this is an older building with 3x levels of parking on top. Would that be structurally sufficient to allow additional floors of residential on top?

While I do appreciate these long term local retailers, NS will be in high demand hopefully and any added mixed use would be a huge and pretty good surprise.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm
Building's owner is saying Apartments and Nordstrom Rack
From the article:
The new owners of the Jack Henry Building couldn’t be reached for comment.
That was the Tomfooleries owner who mentioned Nordstrom Rack and apartments.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm
Building's owner is saying Apartments and Nordstrom Rack
From the article:
The new owners of the Jack Henry Building couldn’t be reached for comment.
That was the Tomfooleries owner who mentioned Nordstrom Rack and apartments.
corrected, thanks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 9431758848
Random KC Plan Commission notes: new Plaza Nordstrom design was endorsed, raze Capital Grille, theaters & skywalk on west side of Jefferson, replace w 2-story, 122K store w lots of glass. Entrance at Nichols. Called 'once in a generation opportunity' by @ThePlazaKC #cityscenekc
Will we fight to save the historic honkey tubes?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:22 pm Will we fight to save the historic honkey tubes?
We must protect the plaza's historic fabric, even if that fabric isn't historic
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:22 pm Will we fight to save the historic honkey tubes?
Repurpose them and make an aboveground park. Use "STAR Bonds" to fund it.

People will drive from more than 100 miles for our tiny version of the High Line

Sarcasm intended
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chicago Developer Proposes $90 Million Kimpton Hotel Project at 45th and Main
A $90 million redevelopment plan that would transform an aging Holiday Inn at 45th and Main into a 275-room luxury Kimpton Hotel is in the works.

The project is being pursued by the Janko Group from suburban Chicago. It’s design was endorsed this week by the City Plan Commission.
The project calls for the current 240-room Holiday Inn to be completely renovated and a five-story tower added to its north side, mirroring an existing five-story tower on its south end. The new tower would expand the number of rooms to 275.
two-story, 6,000 square-foot ballroom that’s been closed since the 1990s will be reopened and windows will be added to what’s currently a blank wall to offer sweeping views to the southwest of the Country Club Plaza.

A 20,000 square-foot courtyard will be revamped with a new swimming pool and outdoor games area. The courtyard plan includes bringing in an Airstream trailer that will be used as a food truck. A lobby bar also will open to the outdoor space.

The redevelopment plan also calls for a 3,500 square-foot themed restaurant that’s expected to attract both hotel guests and outside diners.
https://cityscenekc.com/chicago-develop ... wIUwX_YmVQ

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Nice update and modest expansion. What neighbors could object?