Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by kboish »

This is why the internet was invented
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

swid wrote:Not enough typos or references to regional chains selling the exact same things one can readily buy here, but pretty good - that scores an 8.2/10 in my book. :-)
Obviously they're going to demolish the plaza for the worlds largest KB Toys/Famous Barr combo store the world has ever seen!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

My mother heard from a realtor at some private group event (quilting or gardening???) that Capital Grill and the threatre are closing and Nordstrom is moving into these spaces, or part of it
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:My mother heard from a realtor at some private group event (quilting or gardening???) that Capital Grill and the threatre are closing and Nordstrom is moving into these spaces, or part of it
I could see capital grille relocating withim the plaza. Shutting the movie theater down and transforming into retail seems like a huge undertaking but I am all for switching things up.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'd be pretty bummed if the theater closed, but it's poorly managed and doesn't never seems too busy for what are easily the cheapest tickets in the metro. I'd rather see them just close either the parking garage portion or the portion above Urban Outfitters to leave as a theater. Either way, Cinemark has a lot of unused or underutilized space.

If Capital Grille relocates, it probably makes sense for them to also take over the Tesla and shuttered customer service center - I can't see the Williams Sonoma space as being large enough.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Nordstrom would be a huge get and possible momentum swing in attracting some other large retailers.

The theater needs to close, toilets constantly overflowing, sticky floors, poor quality seating, I've stopped going there even though its so hard to pass it up on the prices but its such a dump.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Nordstrom would be a huge get and possible momentum swing in attracting some other large retailers.

The theater needs to close, toilets constantly overflowing, sticky floors, poor quality seating, I've stopped going there even though its so hard to pass it up on the prices but its such a dump.
A dump seems a little hyperbolic... The issues you're talking about are something that a change in management could address. Also, be it AMC or Cinemark, the seating is something they're not going to address until their capex period has ended (10 yrs, 15 yrs, etc). I'd suspect their capex is up now.

If management intends to take over the western wing, it's plausible that the theaters negotiate a discounted rent as long as they commit to $X million in investment.

Lastly, with there now being so few cinema operators out there, the ones that remain often will stay in markets out of sheer determination to keep market cap from a competitor. I would not be surprised if this was the case here, with AMC lurking all around.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cinemark closes and I probably won’t see many movies. It’s nice enough for $5 admission. AMC is $12, plus I’d have to drive to Ward Parkway.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

It seems really dumb to tear out the theater and other retail when we just did the opposite with Halls. If Nordstrom wanted the Plaza, why didn’t they just take that spot?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

beautyfromashes wrote:It seems really dumb to tear out the theater and other retail when we just did the opposite with Halls. If Nordstrom wanted the Plaza, why didn’t they just take that spot?
It probably has to do with floor plates. Halls was oddly proportioned for a proper department store. Either wing of the theater lends itself to a more square/traditional layout. Also ceiling heights are better in the theater spaces, obviously.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

They should keep the western portion of the theater. Make the old Blanc Burger space the entrance with an escalator up to the theaters, ala old DT AMC. I can’t imagine a better use for that second floor space and the lower space has been a dead eyesore for years now. Six theaters, concessions, bathroom and garage exit. Done.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

It can bring Nordstrom Rack with it. Midtown needs other Retail other then Home Depot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought this was already posted on here. Nordstrom's will take the capital grille spot and theaters above...capital grille is moving to where Williams Sonoma was
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote:I thought this was already posted on here. Nordstrom's will take the capital grille spot and theaters above...capital grille is moving to where Williams Sonoma was
Has it been officially shared somewhere? All I've seen is the speculation here and that sentence in the SM Post.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote:I thought this was already posted on here. Nordstrom's will take the capital grille spot and theaters above...capital grille is moving to where Williams Sonoma was
Huge win!
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

horizons82 wrote:
Has it been officially shared somewhere? All I've seen is the speculation here and that sentence in the SM Post.
Curious of the source as well...not seeing anything.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've just heard it from two independent sources....neither that official. I honestly thought a third source was on here.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote:I've just heard it from two independent sources....neither that official. I honestly thought a third source was on here.
flyingember mentioned someone in his network heard the same thing....
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

If the rumors are true about Nordstrom it's great for the plaza but bad for OakPark Mall. I'm not sure who they'd be able to lease that large space out to.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

LCDSI wrote:If the rumors are true about Nordstrom it's great for the plaza but bad for OakPark Mall. I'm not sure who they'd be able to lease that large space out to.
Yeah and they just lost Banana and something else (Bath and Body?). Plus the Dillard's men's store is a dump. Losing Nordstrom would be a huge loss. Maybe convert it into a cinema like they wanted to put in in the Target location.

But back to the Plaza topic - anyone know when Nordstrom's lease is up? And haven't we been waiting for years now for a restaurant announcement for part of the Hall's building?