Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm Look at how long it took the Northland to take off.
Johnson and Clay were nearly the same size until 1940 when JoCo took off.

The early development was actually all east and south for the longest time. You can see this in the fancy homes along Swope Park towards the southeast, the streetcar lines headed both directions and that the major arly N-S streets that carry most traffic head east like Prospect, Cleveland and such.

Something changed to redirect movement.

It probably was what you would expect with your point. KCMO reached the Blue River and suddenly development changed direction because it was easier to. That's about the time the city annexed way to the south while before that it didn't go much past the Blue
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 pm
missingkc wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm Look at how long it took the Northland to take off.
Johnson and Clay were nearly the same size until 1940 when JoCo took off.

The early development was actually all east and south for the longest time. You can see this in the fancy homes along Swope Park towards the southeast, the streetcar lines headed both directions and that the major arly N-S streets that carry most traffic head east like Prospect, Cleveland and such.

Something changed to redirect movement.

It probably was what you would expect with your point. KCMO reached the Blue River and suddenly development changed direction because it was easier to. That's about the time the city annexed way to the south while before that it didn't go much past the Blue
That's exactly the case. Johnson County was topographically attached to KC. No major floodplains to stop development (like e.g., the Blue River just east of the city). With the automobile, the Blue barrier was eventually easily surpassed but it left a gap in development and the absence of any significant flood plains on the KS side from State Line to Turkey Creek led to unabated and contiguous growth. Another major gap in Missouri was encountered at the Little Blue River. Johnson County was the path of least resistance. I think I-35 was ideally situated early on to take advantage of the topographical advantage the KS burbs had over the Missouri burbs. I-70 was there from the late 50's on but it had to hop two major floodplains increasing the commuting distance in that direction.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

Shake Shack is slated for a September 6th opening. Old Navy in the former Gap space sometime this fall.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ed ... a-location
Eden Alley on the Plaza closes after 24 years.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

When the 'official' announcement is followed by 'We'll keep you posted...' you have to imagine either Eden Alley is moving or will reopen after some changes.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yeah, really hoping Eden Alley is moving or, preferably, renovating. Was incredibly saddened by the news of their closing, have loved it for many many years. Favorite brunch on Plaza, a real feel good place.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

November next year for new capital Grille location.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

jbean3535 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 pm Shake Shack is slated for a September 6th opening. Old Navy in the former Gap space sometime this fall.
I carried out from Shake Shack lasts week. The line was a little bit out the door, but I was in and out in under 30 minutes.

I thought the burger was pretty good. By itself, it was reasonably priced. But, I ordered two burgers, two fries (one a cheese fry), one malt and one shake. The total was $32. Not astronomical by any stretch, but the fries/shake/malt weren't all that great. I think the burger was the best part of it. I'd probably just get a double burger and skip the rest of the BS next time.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 am
jbean3535 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 pm Shake Shack is slated for a September 6th opening. Old Navy in the former Gap space sometime this fall.
I carried out from Shake Shack lasts week. The line was a little bit out the door, but I was in and out in under 30 minutes.

I thought the burger was pretty good. By itself, it was reasonably priced. But, I ordered two burgers, two fries (one a cheese fry), one malt and one shake. The total was $32. Not astronomical by any stretch, but the fries/shake/malt weren't all that great. I think the burger was the best part of it. I'd probably just get a double burger and skip the rest of the BS next time.
And order on the app to minimize wait.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

smh wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

I was excited to use it, but the lead time was too long. I logged on around 5 or 5:15p - thinking I could pick it up in an hour. The earliest available pick up time was 730p. This was on a Tue or Wed, so not exactly peak time.

So, make sure you plan ahead if you're doing it that way.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 am
smh wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

Ooof. Who knew.

I was excited to use it, but the lead time was too long. I logged on around 5 or 5:15p - thinking I could pick it up in an hour. The earliest available pick up time was 730p. This was on a Tue or Wed, so not exactly peak time.

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

This kind of stuff blows my mind. I mean I'll try Shake Shack, sometime, but why would anyone wait in a line to/past the door, or place a takeout order over an hour and a half in advance, for burgers/fries? Or frankly, for anything.

Different strokes I suppose. It's like the long waits for certain brunch spots. There are too many excellent options around to spend that much time waiting for a specific place...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

^This is true, but every time I travel I'm reminded of how spoiled we are here in KC. Waiting in lines is so commonplace in most other cities.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm still mad about the ugly facade they put up...and those cheap looking modern lights they tacked on the outside. None of it goes with the Plaza

The Plaza needs regulations to protect old facades (if they are already in place). I know some blocks are newer or already have a ton of different storefront designs, but this is part of the Theater block. It was a fairly original facade. That corner had a nice design with stone pilasters surrounding the entrance. Now they covered it in corrugated metal. The little balcony above the doorway is still there but the flashing for the ugly build-out is encroaching upon it. Shameful.

Hope it all gets peeled away in a decade or sooner.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:10 pm I'm still mad about the ugly facade they put up...and those cheap looking modern lights they tacked on the outside. None of it goes with the Plaza

The Plaza needs regulations to protect old facades (if they are already in place). I know some blocks are newer or already have a ton of different storefront designs, but this is part of the Theater block. It was a fairly original facade. That corner had a nice design with stone pilasters surrounding the entrance. Now they covered it in corrugated metal. The little balcony above the doorway is still there but the flashing for the ugly build-out is encroaching upon it. Shameful.

Hope it all gets peeled away in a decade or sooner.
Gas stations and surface parking go with the plaza originally. Be careful what you ask for.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

For fast food, that's ridiculous.

But, I admire how every fast food restaurant in the world has convinced the masses that they're 1. Cheap, 2. Quality.

You could go get two massive, amazing, upscale burgers from BRGR with the same sides for that same price.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Except brgr burgers are below average at best
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm Except brgr burgers are below average at best
+1
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

taxi wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:38 pm ^This is true, but every time I travel I'm reminded of how spoiled we are here in KC. Waiting in lines is so commonplace in most other cities.
That shit is for kids and suckers. Not that there’s a big difference.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:24 pm

For fast food, that's ridiculous.

But, I admire how every fast food restaurant in the world has convinced the masses that they're 1. Cheap, 2. Quality.

You could go get two massive, amazing, upscale burgers from BRGR with the same sides for that same price.
Well it seems to be a home run for the Plaza regardless and they badly needed that. Not sure how long the novelty will last though.