Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember »

Streets are too narrow? The streets that are wide enough you can park down the middle and block no one?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Are there any signs of life around the old Halls Department Store? That project started in 2014 and is coming up on its second birthday. When I was there at Christmas, there did not seem to be anything going on at all. Have the new owners given any indication on where its headed and when it will get there?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Maybe the new owners could undo the facade remodeling. What once was pretty much a camouflaged parking garage is very much now a very visible parking stack from Ward Pkwy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I noticed construction fencing up around these 4 apartment buildings at 45th Terrace and Broadway, just NE of the Plaza. Looks like demolition may be coming:

I really hope this isn't another case of clearing a site without any firm redevelopment plan in place. This seems to keep happening around the plaza - way too many vacant lots right now. I'm not too sad about loosing the two buildings on the east, but the two western buildings could be pretty nice if some work was done to their balconies.
Teardown has begun. Any news on project?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this project probably deserves its own thread.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Pretty sure this project is before BZA this week or last. Apartment project.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

How many units?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chingon wrote:How many units?
From the BZA agenda for June 28, 1:00pm meeting:

"4 JP 5. Case No. 14669-A-2 - 45th Terr & Broadway - An area generally bound by Broadway on the west, W. 45th Street to the north, Wornall Rd to the east and W. 45th Terrace to the south, to consider a request for a variance to the minimum required front yard setback, to the minimum side and street side yard setbacks, to the minimum required rear yard setback, to the maximum allowable height of a building and a variance for a pool in the front yard of the proposed building, all to allow for the construction of a 31 unit apartment building, plus any other necessary variances. (Continued from 5/24/16 - No Testimony Given)."
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New Apple Store to open by tax free weekend - Plaza Apple Store Genius Bar Technician.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Hearing Houston's is closing.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Houston's closing? Wow, that is a tough lunch seat any day of the week and dinner business was always strong on the weekends.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Keep in mind a new building is about to open on the Plaza. Could the specific location be closing and they're really moving?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I always thought the restaurant group behind Houstons wanted to rebrand all the Houston's restaurants to it's Hillstone concept
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I always thought the restaurant group behind Houstons wanted to rebrand all the Houston's restaurants to it's Hillstone concept
Isn't Hillstone the name of the company that owns Houstons? I wonder if rather than closing, they just change the name/concept. Houlihans was long the lone casual diner on the plaza with the big menu. Houston's fulfilled that role after they left. If it truly goes, Cheesecake Factory will be the only restaurant of that genre left.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

3 projects for the plaza came up on tomorrow's CPC agenda.

They are:

Request to amend the Midtown/Plaza Area Plan regarding land use recommendations on approximately 2.5 acres generally located on the south side of West 44th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Washington Street. About 2.5 acres generally located on the south side of West 44th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Washington Street, to consider rezoning the site from Districts R 1.5 (Residential 1.5) and R-6 (Residential 6) to District MPD (Master Planned Development) and the approval of a Development Plan for a four-story apartment project containing 188 units.

Request to amend the Midtown/Plaza Area Plan recommendation regarding bowl concept/height on approximately 0.59 acre generally located at 4620 JC Nichols Parkway, to allow construction of three additional stories atop an existing, vacant office structure and enable conversion to an 84 unit assisted living community.

- A request to rezone approximately 1.32 acres generally located at the northwest corner of Walnut Street and E. 46th Street from District R-0.5 (Residential 0.5) and R-5 (Residential 5) to District R-0.5 (Residential 0.5). Approximately 1.32 acres generally located at the northwest corner of Walnut Street and E. 46th Street to allow for a development plan for a mixed use project consisting of approximately 42,513 square feet consisting of commercial uses and 98 residential units.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote:3 projects for the plaza came up on tomorrow's CPC agenda.

They are:

Request to amend the Midtown/Plaza Area Plan regarding land use recommendations on approximately 2.5 acres generally located on the south side of West 44th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Washington Street. About 2.5 acres generally located on the south side of West 44th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Washington Street, to consider rezoning the site from Districts R 1.5 (Residential 1.5) and R-6 (Residential 6) to District MPD (Master Planned Development) and the approval of a Development Plan for a four-story apartment project containing 188 units.
Link to some information on this project. http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog/ ... oject.html
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

ldai_phs wrote:New Apple Store to open by tax free weekend - Plaza Apple Store Genius Bar Technician.
This got moved to mid-August now.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The Restoration Hardware on the Plaza closed. Too bad, it was a nice looking store.

I wonder what will happen to the space? I hope something great that uses the intact architectural details and maybe even makes use of the movie theater portion. Really hope they don't gut it
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote:The Restoration Hardware on the Plaza closed. Too bad, it was a nice looking store.

I wonder what will happen to the space? I hope something great that uses the intact architectural details and maybe even makes use of the movie theater portion. Really hope they don't gut it
i say restore the plaza theater as a theater. could be an event space, concert venue, single-screen premium cinema, etc. they could still have some smaller retail stalls, just not the entire thing.