Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Bed, Bath, & Beyond? What the HELL is Highwoods doing?

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I'm impressed that he went into so much detail explaining their position. I think the BB&B will be fine for the Plaza. I'm not a huge fan, but the location is also not conducive to other big name retailers.

I think Highwoods has done a decent job at maintaining the ambiance of the Plaza. I definitely think the Plaza is esthetically more pleasing than it was just 3 or 4 years ago. The Valencia Place building and Cinemark buildings are magnificent and their has been alot of renovation going on in the last couple of years.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've referenced this specific thread in my response to him so he might very well be checking out this thread, so if you have anything you'd like to say, state it here.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:I've referenced this specific thread in my response to him so he might very well be checking out this thread, so if you have anything you'd like to say, state it here.
Attract a Neiman Marcus! Develop the Brush Creek Riverwalk by adding cafes and upscale nightclubs! Get a Spanish restaurant, similar to a La Bodega, on the Plaza!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Or any more locally-owned restaurants. I feel like the plaza is on a downward restaurant spiral. What's next, TGI Friday's?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Develop the Brush Creek Riverwalk by adding cafes and upscale nightclubs!
It's a good idea, but where would you put them? There is no room between the creek and the street. Plus the first goal of the Brush Creek project was flood control - they have to leave room for high water. It just wasn't designed to accomodate the developments you mention.

Besides, that land is in the park system, it would require a public vote to transfer it to private ownership - unless we want the parks department as landlords.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

danger...there are already plans for one wine garden to go on the brush creek area.....should have started construction by now actually.

KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KC wrote:danger...there are already plans for one wine garden to go on the brush creek area.....should have started construction by now actually.
They ever going to start that?

So is this BB&B a done deal??
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:It's a good idea, but where would you put them? There is no room between the creek and the street
You'd have to pick a section of Brush Creek (north or south?) and dig into that green slope at Riverwalk level until you reach the street. The Spanish tile rooftops would actually be near street level. I wouldn't do the entire Riverwalk, jus' about a one or two block section with a wine garden, a couple of cafes, a restaurant/nightclub. Also add several sculptures and fountains along the green slope. The problem with the Fiesta Cruise is that you see nothin' but Plaza rooftops from that level.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC wrote:danger...there are already plans for one wine garden to go on the brush creek area.....should have started construction by now actually.
Wasn't that the site awarded to the cruise boat operators as part of the deal to entice them into offering the cruises? If so that was a couple of years ago and nothing has happened. I don't see many other sites where anything could be built right on the creek or riverwalk area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

danger...they just got approval from the city last fall (parks & rec dept I believe)....it has been a long time in the works though, you are right.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Did BB & B end up going to the Plaza? If so it could be a milestone...and not a good one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nope...nothing has happened from what I've seen/heard.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nothing happening???....That would never happen with Highwoods. :wink:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

I noticed a vacant space right next to A+F, pretty high profile spot, but small. I'd like to see Louis Vitton come in, but I bet we'll know for sure in 2 years when Highwoods finds a tenant.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

i'd really like to see a Diesel store on the plaza. i am actually really surprised there isnt one, based on how many people i see wearing diesel. plus, denver and dallas have small Diesel stores. KC could definitely support one.

in fact, i'd like to see more trendy clothing stores on the plaza in general. betsey johnson is appreciated, an LV would be appreciated....more more more. i am tired of going online or to chicago for my clothing needs. :)
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

fyi, Halls on the Plaza and CC carries a ton of Diesel. Nordstrom also has a decent selection. But I agree, I would like to see a Diesel exclusive store on the Plaza, even perhaps a DKNY store.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah Deisel would be a nice exclusive retailer

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

KC_Jayhawk - i know about nordstrom and hall's, but what is "CC?"

i'd love to see a DKNY store here. it seems like maybe our hometown girl Kate Spade could persuade her fashion friends to open stores in KC. :D

also, what's the deal with stores like Lord & Taylor and Neiman-Marcus? they seem extremely reticent to expand into new markets. a L & T just opened in st. louis at the new (and very nice) West County Mall. i wonder why stores like that arent banging down Highwoods' door to put stores on the Plaza, since it is such a high profile locale. it's also a draw not just for KC, but regionally. i think we all have seen plenty of IA, NE, OK, AR, etc. license plates at the Plaza.

hell, i wonder if Highwoods even knows about DKNY or Diesel. they seem more inclined to compete with Independence for the lame big box stores rather than going for the nationally/globally desired upscale-type stuff. maybe they are just too busy trying to find historical buildings to demolish so they can put a freakin' TJ Maxx on the site or something...
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by tat2kc »

another great store would be FCUK (french Connection UK). Not sure if there is a space large enough for a Nieman Marcus or Lord & Taylor.

You're right about Highwoods tho, they've probablly never heard of some of the better, more exclusive stores. I swear, if they open a Spencer's on the plaza, I'm am headed to their headquarters and cause a HUGE scene!!! :lol:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCgridlock

Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCgridlock »

chrizow wrote:KC_Jayhawk - i know about nordstrom and hall's, but what is "CC?"
CC= Crown Center

KC is ripe for another urban destination retail district. The Plaza is a nice mix (getting a little too bland though) and Crown Center is doing ok. Having 1500 hotel rooms attatched to it and millions of sq of office space helps.

The plaza going mainstream could be a blessing in discise (how the fvck do you spell that). KC is really behind on the destination chain resturaunts and retails stores. I know many of you are against them and I'm not a huge fan either, but most of KC's tourists are from the Midwest and would flock to Hard Rock, NikeTown and ESPN Zone. We need something and as long as the Plaza does what it's doing, there is more of a chance to land some high profile tennants Downtown.