Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling »

Yeah agree, the Plaza needs a movie theater if even just a few screens. Is Cinemark pulling out or being pushed out? They could still operate the E Wing screens, though may not be interested losing the larger screens in W Wing..
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I went to the Cinemark last week. The theatre smelt like urine. By the time the movie was over I had a piss smell headache.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

At the risk of taking the thread off-topic, it pleases me that I'm not the only one that misses the AMC Mainstreet theater. I thought it one of the nicest theaters I had ever attended - a significantly better experience than Alamo in every way. Alamo is fine and I can appreciate their quirkiness but AMC Mainstreet was just beautiful, and a local showcase to boot. Would have been amazing had AMC built a new HQ on the lot next door, rather than jumping ship to KS - sad.

RE: Burberry leaving and the "upscaleness" of the Plaza - where is KC's highest end shopping district, with stand alone luxe stores? 119th? Do we even have such a place? Halls sells most of these brands but trying to picture where in KC a Burberry would locate if not Plaza, and how to take Plaza up a notch or two if necessary to bring in a few higher end brands rarely found in malls.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:A new PIEA Redevelopment Area proposal has shown up in the KCMO Development Tracker map for the 4400 block of Belleview, NW of the Plaza. It looks like they are calling the redevelopment area "Midtown Crossing" (isn't that the name of the Home Depot/Costco development?), but the project might be called 44/Belle.

5 Story building with 138 apartment units (1 & 2 beds, average 750 sq ft), 3,361 sq ft of retial, and 177 structured parking spaces:

This going to PZED next Wednesday:

"Rezoning an area of approximately 1.53 acre generally located at the southwest corner of W. 44th Street and Belleview Avenue from District R-1.5 to District UR, and approving a development plan for a four (4) story mixed use building with a total of 138 dwelling units and a parking garage. (14919-UR)"
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Eddie Bauer is closing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:Eddie Bauer is closing.
They were still open?

I thought they closed a long time ago.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:Eddie Bauer is closing.
They were still open?

I thought they closed a long time ago.
The downsized a few years back from where Seasons52/Michael Kors is now, I believe.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Michael Kors I’m sure will be next, replaced by Payless Shoe Source and Tiffany replaced by a boarded up storefront for two years and then a Zales Outlet. Go Plaza!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Update on the two corners at 45th and Summit.

SE corner

SW corner

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would need to see them in person, but the pergolas so far stick out badly
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Does anyone know where the 4-story apartment elevations have been posted?

-Coming from with a "vested" (can see it out my window) interest in the project.

Very exciting with all of the development in this area, these two projects, the Springhill suites, the ~70 unit 46&Summit project, The Mirabelle, 4400 Washington apartment project, the Midtown Crossing PIEA plan, and the 44th and Bellview Price Brothers project (or whatever they do with those lots in the future). Plus hopefully a streetcar extension on the way.

IMO St. Lukes foundation has done an outstanding job as a steward of the land surrounding their campus and helping densify and grow the area. Major props to them. Two major things would help with growth. First, 45th street needs to be no parking on one side, at least. Probably no parking between Madison and the alley behind the Tudors. Secondly, that alley NEEDS to be made one way, northbound. Additionally, I would say that for those without garages, if we could have permitted parking that would help big time.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

alejandro46 wrote:Does anyone know where the 4-story apartment elevations have been posted?
I haven't been able to find any renderings for this project.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 23949.html Eddie Bauer is joining Talbots and Burberry in closing its plaza location. This time it's in favor of the Oak Park Mall store, a store they actually sued the Plazas former owner to even open. I can see the Oak Park store jumping to Corbin Park or Town Center Plaza soon. The store was downsized once.
rxlexi wrote:At the risk of taking the thread off-topic, it pleases me that I'm not the only one that misses the AMC Mainstreet theater. I thought it one of the nicest theaters I had ever attended - a significantly better experience than Alamo in every way. Alamo is fine and I can appreciate their quirkiness but AMC Mainstreet was just beautiful, and a local showcase to boot. Would have been amazing had AMC built a new HQ on the lot next door, rather than jumping ship to KS - sad.

RE: Burberry leaving and the "upscaleness" of the Plaza - where is KC's highest end shopping district, with stand alone luxe stores? 119th? Do we even have such a place? Halls sells most of these brands but trying to picture where in KC a Burberry would locate if not Plaza, and how to take Plaza up a notch or two if necessary to bring in a few higher end brands rarely found in malls.
The majority of the stores you find in upscale shopping districts like Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, and Swarovski are all at Oak Park or Town Center Plaza. REI is down by Corbin Park I believe, which should have some pull with Von Maur as an anchor... I wish Von Maur could move to Oak Park Mall. I don't know what Nordstrom is going to anchor at The Plaza by the time the store is done, but department stores have pulled out of finished or nearly finished buildings before, and KC wouldn't be the first metro they abandoned.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Bank of America opening in former Standard Style space.

Such a high-profile spot...seems too bad.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Midtownkid wrote:Bank of America opening in former Standard Style space.

Such a high-profile spot...seems too bad.
Yeah. Maybe it's a spot where they can put a drive thru somewhere in the attached garage. Wonder if Nordstrom is going to result in a store that removes the lower garage entrance next to Cap Grill.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Permit has been pulled to finish out old Burberry space into the new location for Tesla.

As for Eddie Bauer, according to a former employee, the Plaza elected not to renew lease as they want to focus on higher end stores. Who knows how much of that is true but thought I would share.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Who wants to admit their chain is failing?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Would love to see an REI fill any vacuum that losing Eddie Bauer would bring although that space might already be already overfilled with Moosejaw and North Face.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I would love to see a DSW down there.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; now cole haan is closing. not quite sure what Taubmann and Macerich are thinking since this was a nicer/higher-end store but it appears they are forcing out a lot of tenants.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 69334.html