Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling »

^And that's why it needs a mixed-use overhaul. Not sure how the need for a pharmacy/small market is interpreted as needed to 'save' the Plaza. Of course these won't individually save it but is baffling Plaza doesn't have one of these as every single true urban shopping district has these and many who live near expect it (and Plaza used to have these). It's just a couple spots out of over 100 retail spots. The Plaza needs a mixed-use balance to survive, not exclusively cater to suburban shoppers with a last century mall model. There are a lot of people who live around it, hotel visitors, etc. Adding residential above would mix things up more.

Over 70% of site supports more mixup...
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20330
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MidtownCat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:13 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:11 am
MidtownCat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:50 am So, if you’re heading out to 119th and Nall or Oak Park Mall to do some shopping at all the stores that used to be on the Plaza...
You obviously haven’t been to Oak Park Mall recently. It’s nosediving fast, like most all the other malls in America. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s shuttered within the decade.
I wouldn’t be too critical. The Plaza might shuttered in the next decade at this rate. And a freaking pharmacy isn’t the silver bullet.
Literally nobody has said this but rage on MC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Ok, I see you’re a little intense on the topic cause you seem a bit all over the place. We’re not ‘saving’ the Plaza but it needs a “total overhaul to survive”. Your suggestions are “just a couple spots out of 100s” but then you talk about the overhaul. A barber shop and pharmacy isn’t going to change the demographic of The Plaza. I can’t think of many millineals who who make a trip to the Plaza for those two specifically. Residential above the shops is a decent idea, but then you lose some space for office space a lots of people who do spend money in the district. They definitely need to increase housing within and around the shopping area. St.Lukes grabbing up land between there and Westport and fencing it off like the Wild West is a huge problem. Walkability across Main to the East toward the Nelson is terrible and you might trip on 10 homeless people along the way. The strip of ‘towers’ along Brush Creek need major redevelopment. They are closed off from the street astetically and need renovations to attract a longer market.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Summary: A pharmacy alone wouldn't save the Plaza but is an important basic amenity nevertheless (yes, important) for those already there. A mixed-use overhaul is needed to save the Plaza as the last century mall model is dead. KC has very few true urban neighborhoods and the Plaza would be shortest path to creating a new one, no matter what demographic it targets.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 pm Earthling- Are you picturing a small place like The Sundry or a larger grocery like a Whole Foods size?

Honestly, the Plaza just seems so old to me. It’s where people go that don’t know KC is so much more than it was in the 80s. The towers along Brish Creek are basically retirement communities and the stores/restaurants are geared towards them, Christmas shoppers in season and suburbanites scared to try a restaurant that isn’t in Everywhere, USA. A pharmacy’s not going to change that. They have to get much, much younger.
I think this is true, but I also think south plaza along Main Street and by UMKC is the start (albeit slow start). I hope it moves north.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ I think that area along Main is a sign of the Plazas failure in attracting the right mix of businesses. Sushi place, Spin Pizza, Nick & Jakes, young feeling steak place, Eat n Go, etc are geared towards a younger demographic.

Earthling- I understand you’re not saying a pharmacy and barber is not what will save the Plaza. I’d just like a better description of your view of ‘mixed use’. Who, where, how? I’m sure tget would say they are mixed use now (office, residential, retail).

Summary: The problem is the type of mix, not the percentage of mix.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Two approaches described in first post of this thread...
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20330
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I've always thought the old Theater should be restored/renovated and turned into a live theater. That would activate that intersection.

It would also be great to have a little place where you could get some Spanish street food and things like churros. (like where the shoe shine once was?)

With respect to the Seville/KC connection, maybe they could try to bring in a Spanish retailer? They are some great brands out of Spain.

Also, why is the Plaza not a more popular brunch destination? Going down there on a Sunday morning you practically have the streets to yourself. I feel like you should see people eating at patio cafes, strolling around looking at the fountains etc.
Last edited by Midtownkid on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ Great ideas.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Does the plaza theater's interior still exist?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:27 pm Also, why is the Plaza not a more popular brunch destination? Going down there on a Sunday morning you practically have the streets to yourself. I feel like you should see people eating at patio cafes, strolling around looking at the fountains etc.
Feel like Rye is helping change that, but you're right. Classic Cup feels like about it and it isn't particularly good.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:27 pm Also, why is the Plaza not a more popular brunch destination? Going down there on a Sunday morning you practically have the streets to yourself. I feel like you should see people eating at patio cafes, strolling around looking at the fountains etc.
The plaza opens at noon on Sunday.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Classic cup, fooleries, zocalo, hogshead, McCormick, rye, Jax, gram and dun all do brunch?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:17 pm Classic cup, fooleries, zocalo, hogshead, McCormick, rye, Jax, gram and dun all do brunch?
The Oliver, Seasons 52, Grand Street...
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

MidtownCat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:13 amI wouldn’t be too critical.
Um.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:56 pm Does the plaza theater's interior still exist?
My understanding is that the auditorium remains with ceiling and stage intact. Supposedly, the front part of the balcony was removed. I think the theater lobby area was altered. It's been years since I was in the Restoration Hardware store, when it occupied a portion of the theater building, so I don't recall the interior.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Really though, big props to Town Center off of 119th for continuing to just fleece the Plaza of our premier retail tenants. For the pharphacy lovers, they even have a Walgreens!
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

MidtownCat wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:24 am Really though, big props to Town Center off of 119th for continuing to just fleece the Plaza of our premier retail tenants. For the pharphacy lovers, they even have a Walgreens!
I don't even think TCP is actively trying to poach tenants. Considering that GAP is falling through, Eddie Bauer is closing in favor of a store at a dying mall, and St. John Knits is moving to Mission Woods, I think these recent closings are all Taubman caused issues, though there were leasing problems going on before they came in. Lets not forget that Restoration Hardware was supposed to build its new KC flagship inside the Hall's store or how The Plaza has failed to retain any true large anchor over the past 50 years including Sears, Macy's, Dillard's, Saks, and Hall's. I'm trying to decide if I should pick Barnes & Noble or Vineyard Vines as my next most likely to close store. Express has also downgraded several locations in high profile malls to outlet stores or outright closed them, so they should be watched as well.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:17 pm Classic cup, fooleries, zocalo, hogshead, McCormick, rye, Jax, gram and dun all do brunch?
*dusts off elitist cap* I guess we should have specified GOOD brunch.

But really, I guess I should give Hogshead or Gram & Dun a try sometime for Brunch.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:55 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:56 pm Does the plaza theater's interior still exist?
My understanding is that the auditorium remains with ceiling and stage intact. Supposedly, the front part of the balcony was removed. I think the theater lobby area was altered. It's been years since I was in the Restoration Hardware store, when it occupied a portion of the theater building, so I don't recall the interior.
That curved hall is still there but the staircases and lights have been removed.

I heard the theater is still pretty much all there, but I haven't seen it myself