Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by nomadcowatbk »

alejandro46 wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Plaza apple store robbery footage
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... ment_reply
The phones out are just display models, they are not usable. Likely will try to flip on the street for a few bucks. I have seen armed officers in there occasionally. Just sad people would do this kind of thing, and in broad daylight. :(
can't they be reset remotely?
mykn

Post by mykn »

These have got to be some of the dumbest thiefs ever...
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

msmith011 wrote:
Highlander wrote: I know some folks in KC who are very acquainted with the new owners and they insist there is a plan to make the plaza more upscale. Nordstrom's fits the plan but not sure if many of the other moves we are hearing about are consistent with the upscaling.
I have no doubt the owners are going for upscale. Let’s not forget one of the wealthiest communities in the nation is just a few blocks away. Take a look at some of Taubman’s other properties — a great example being Cherry Creek in Denver. I bet they know what they’re doing.

Upscaling a shopping center takes time, and having a luxury anchor like Nordstrom is essential for other similar stores to follow because they don’t want to be alone. It’s just unfortunate timing that Burberry left, but it makes total sense. Even though they were profitable (they were on the plaza for 12 years, through the recession) it was just bad for the brand to be next door to Lululemon and across the street from Bath & Body Works. Maybe things would have been different if Highwoods would have clustered St. John, Tiffany & Co., Burberry, etc. in one area like they should have.

Nordstrom trypically has “shop-in-Shops” — the Mall of America store has a Chanel boutique, for example. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finally get a Louis in our new Nordstrom. They checked out the Oak Park Mall location years back to consider adding a counter there but — shocker — said it wasn’t nice enough. We’ll see I guess.
They've stumbled a bit with Cherry Creek as crime has increased and the parking controversy... I was just there yesterday and the mall isn't what it was. Their outlet mall in St. Louis is also tanking hard. Burberry staying for 12 years doesn't confirm or deny that it was profitable. It is often cheaper for a company to ride out a lease than to break it. It's no secret that the Oak Park Nordstrom was a dump. People didn't shop there because Nordstrom stopped investing money in the store yeas ago and the offerings became inconsistent compared to their other locations. I tried to eat at the stores cafe on several occasions just to find it closed during the listed hours of operation. Oak Park Mall just lost another high end tenant in Bachrach's complete company liquidation. The Oak Park Bachrach was profitable and survived multiple store closing rounds. The store had just relocated to a new space last year.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

That being said they are managing Beverly Center in Los Angeles well and when I went to Nashville recently the Mall at Green Hills was pretty busy. I just wish they'd make some announcements about what their plans are or at least begin releasing some more new tenant names.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

REI could be one of the other moves.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

mgsports wrote:REI could be one of the other moves.
I have no doubt that REI would jump ship to Town Center Plaza or The Country Club Plaza from Dumpster Fire, er, "Prairie Fire" in a heartbeat if given a chance.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Loving the influx of local stores. So chains I would like to see move in:

-Zara
-Scotch and Soda
-Gant
-Lacoste
-Ralph Lauren (I know they are struggling a bit but it's a classic, quality brand)
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Midtownkid wrote:Loving the influx of local stores. So chains I would like to see move in:

-Zara
-Scotch and Soda
-Gant
-Lacoste
-Ralph Lauren (I know they are struggling a bit but it's a classic, quality brand)
I really like your list but I have a feeling that Polo/Ralph Lauren and Lacoste might be out of the market for good (Polo closed on the Plaza in the 90s and Lacoste left its Oak park Mall store a few years ago).
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

No way REI Town Center Plaza with Dicks already their. Olathe Gateway phase 2 it can move their.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Not sure what to make of this but feel free to chime in if you know different. I was doing some permit scouring today and noticed a few that peeked my interest.

One is for a Tenant Finish for The Gap on 235 W 47th St: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 8&jur=KCMO

Then if I hop over to where The Gap is today, I see a tenant finish permit for Old Navy: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 2&jur=KCMO

So since both are owned by the same company, perhaps The Gap is downsizing and Old Navy is setting up shop in the old Gap space?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The ol' switcheroo
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

smh wrote:The ol' switcheroo
But Old Navy isn't currently on the Plaza, right?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

hartliss wrote:
smh wrote:The ol' switcheroo
But Old Navy isn't currently on the Plaza, right?
Don't believe so.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Old Navy is definitely the pinnacle of luxury.

Glad they are kicking out peasant stores like Burberry, Williams Sonoma, Eddie Bauer and bringing in Old Navy. Maybe Dollar Tree or Five Below can take over The North Face space.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCLover wrote:Old Navy is definitely the pinnacle of luxury.

Glad they are kicking out peasant stores like Burberry, Williams Sonoma, Eddie Bauer and bringing in Old Navy. Maybe Dollar Tree or Five Below can take over The North Face space.
Pleasant doesn't pay the bills
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Oh good another Old Navy in area.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

flyingember wrote:Pleasant doesn't pay the bills
Neither do peasants.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCLover wrote:Old Navy is definitely the pinnacle of luxury.

I would give Eddie Bauer 5 more years before all the stores close up, Williams Sonoma maybe a little longer and not sure on Burberry, they might be strong enough in Europe to survive. I think the reason why we might see lower end stores on the Plaza in the future is because our youth are not really that materialistic as older generations (Or maybe they are and they just can't afford it). I think a young hipster would rather spend 150 on a bunch of cool shirts or drop 150 on vintage clothing at goodwill rather than 150 on a trinket at Tiffany and Co. I could see our youth killing the jewelry/diamond industry because its a horrible monopoly controlled by a few families with horrible working conditions and the fact that a diamond is not really rare at all.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I went to the Gap on Saturday and found a shirt I liked but didn't want to spend $50. Their current promo was BOGO 50 and I couldn't find anything else I wanted. Happened to look for the shirt on gap.com where it was on sale for $32 and I could have chosen to pick it up in store for no charge. I found additional items I wanted and bought two shirts and flip flops for $50 with free shipping...all for the price of the shirt in-store.

How much sense does it make for stores to charge more for items in the store and offer the same items online or pick up in store for cheaper? I work for a retailer with online presence, so I know the answer to my question, but such is the state of retail today.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The "kids" want unique experiences and items not goods from large chains.