Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by beautyfromashes »

I like that they're putting their own spin on the Plaza and seem to have a plan. Sure, Cole Hann was a d cent store, but lots of chains have agreements not to have competing stores. It might be they are making a choice between two competing brands and Cole Hann lost out. Also, they seem to be rearranging stores into parts of the area by category.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

I hope you're right. I'd hate to see the Plaza go downhill but based off the article and recent comments they seem to have an overall strategy as to what they're doing and just haven't revealed it to us.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

They're moving pieces which isn't always bad. Captured Nordstrom and had to move Capital Grill. Probably gave them a choice of new locations in order to keep them. They chose William Sonomas spot so lost that company. Wants Lulumon on long term lease so lost Cole Hann. Added Shake Shack, Rye, etc. It will all be ok. New look should play out soon. The message from the Star all the time that The Plaza is going down is overblown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Made In KC store taking the old American Eagle space: http://www.startlandnews.com/2018/04/ma ... dium=email
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Seems to me they're shedding quality but old-line stores that played well to my generation (boomers) and are replacing them with, well, fresher options that speak to a younger demographic. I mean, Eddie Bauer was old news even to me. Haven't set foot in one of their stores in years. For example, the Made in KC concept seems a new direction to me.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

They still have a good outdoor gear selection - which may make them better suited to places with mountains nearby - and we discovered that the going out of biz sale has everything at least 40% off. In case anyone has any upcoming outdoor adventures planned.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

so did they decide not to renew Plaza III's lease or did Plaza III just decide to close?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

nomadcowatbk wrote:so did they decide not to renew Plaza III's lease or did Plaza III just decide to close?
I think that was Plaza III just deciding to close. Every time I was in that place, albeit it wasn't often, it was damn near empty.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

missingkc wrote:Seems to me they're shedding quality but old-line stores that played well to my generation (boomers) and are replacing them with, well, fresher options that speak to a younger demographic. I mean, Eddie Bauer was old news even to me. Haven't set foot in one of their stores in years. For example, the Made in KC concept seems a new direction to me.
I know some folks in KC who are very acquainted with the new owners and they insist there is a plan to make the plaza more upscale. Nordstrom's fits the plan but not sure if many of the other moves we are hearing about are consistent with the upscaling.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I don't doubt the upscale direction. I imagine Nordstrom's had to be convinced of that fact before signing. I just think luxury shopping and luxury goods might look different to a millenial than to someone my age. I mean, Burberry and Williams-Sonoma leaving seems like a step backward to me, but maybe not.

Here's a quote from a 2015 article that might give some insight into what we should expect on the Plaza.
"Another big change happening within the industry—partially due to the influence of millennials—is the evolution of the term "luxury."

It no longer refers exclusively to purchases such as handbags or jewelry. Now, it includes higher-price farm-to-table foods and craft beers, as well as pricey experiences such as travel."

The Made in Kansas City lease would certainly fit with that observation.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Eddie Bauer played well to non-boomer me because I could find clothes that actually fit.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Made In KC will open 8000 sf marketplace, taproom, snacks and so on...

http://www.startlandnews.com/2018/04/ma ... rketplace/
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

missingkc wrote:I don't doubt the upscale direction. I imagine Nordstrom's had to be convinced of that fact before signing. I just think luxury shopping and luxury goods might look different to a millenial than to someone my age. I mean, Burberry and Williams-Sonoma leaving seems like a step backward to me, but maybe not.

Here's a quote from a 2015 article that might give some insight into what we should expect on the Plaza.
"Another big change happening within the industry—partially due to the influence of millennials—is the evolution of the term "luxury."

It no longer refers exclusively to purchases such as handbags or jewelry. Now, it includes higher-price farm-to-table foods and craft beers, as well as pricey experiences such as travel."

The Made in Kansas City lease would certainly fit with that observation.
As a millennial woman, I can say that the Plaza is very stale as is. Burberry is upscale, but the economy is not great for us still, and its not the freshest brand in the world. I wrote this back in September:
I'd love to see some fresh, up-and-coming or smaller label designers come into the Plaza, rather than what is the "most valuable". I just don't see the kind of opulence associated with those brands remaining relevant, especially with the economy continuing to stall. When I think of luxury these days and looking forward, I think of exclusivity, uniqueness, ethically produced, craft, etc. There is a huge space between fast fashion (Zara, H&M) and the unattainable-for-most luxury (Hermes, LV). Shops with high quality products at price points in the hundreds rather than thousands seem more realistic for Kansas City, and I think luxury, as I have defined it, is quite attainable at those price points.
I also wrote that an apothecary concept would be nice. Millennial women loooove skincare. I would trade Beauty Brands and Blue Mercury (meh), for an apothecary stocking indie and foreign skincare brands with an in-house esthetician (would serve the need for a pharmacy).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

That sounds about like what I was thinking. I think Finefolk is generally a good example of how I conceptualize luxury. They stock a great mix of higher end well known designers and independent designers.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Highlander wrote:
missingkc wrote:Seems to me they're shedding quality but old-line stores that played well to my generation (boomers) and are replacing them with, well, fresher options that speak to a younger demographic. I mean, Eddie Bauer was old news even to me. Haven't set foot in one of their stores in years. For example, the Made in KC concept seems a new direction to me.
I know some folks in KC who are very acquainted with the new owners and they insist there is a plan to make the plaza more upscale. Nordstrom's fits the plan but not sure if many of the other moves we are hearing about are consistent with the upscaling.
Because loosing Burberry is a move they want to make to go upscale... The Plaza WAS upscale 18 years ago and it didn't work. That's how we ended up where we are now. Restoration Hardware, Williams Sonoma, and Pottery Barn are considered upscale as well and they ran to Leawood. I doubt the first two will move back readily after all the money they just spent in Kansas. Restoration Hardware was supposed to build a new flagship inside the Halls building and then went quiet before moving to Kansas.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Highlander wrote: I know some folks in KC who are very acquainted with the new owners and they insist there is a plan to make the plaza more upscale. Nordstrom's fits the plan but not sure if many of the other moves we are hearing about are consistent with the upscaling.
I have no doubt the owners are going for upscale. Let’s not forget one of the wealthiest communities in the nation is just a few blocks away. Take a look at some of Taubman’s other properties — a great example being Cherry Creek in Denver. I bet they know what they’re doing.

Upscaling a shopping center takes time, and having a luxury anchor like Nordstrom is essential for other similar stores to follow because they don’t want to be alone. It’s just unfortunate timing that Burberry left, but it makes total sense. Even though they were profitable (they were on the plaza for 12 years, through the recession) it was just bad for the brand to be next door to Lululemon and across the street from Bath & Body Works. Maybe things would have been different if Highwoods would have clustered St. John, Tiffany & Co., Burberry, etc. in one area like they should have.

Nordstrom trypically has “shop-in-Shops” — the Mall of America store has a Chanel boutique, for example. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finally get a Louis in our new Nordstrom. They checked out the Oak Park Mall location years back to consider adding a counter there but — shocker — said it wasn’t nice enough. We’ll see I guess.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Plaza apple store robbery footage
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... ment_reply
The phones out are just display models, they are not usable. Likely will try to flip on the street for a few bucks. I have seen armed officers in there occasionally. Just sad people would do this kind of thing, and in broad daylight. :(
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

With products that Apple has full control over. Lol

It'll be trivial to find these idiots