Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by KCPowercat »

Savoy was dead way before that fire....and the HH fire was because it was dead.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Insightful. Poetic. No, really.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Savoy was dead way before that fire....and the HH fire was because it was dead.
At my first job one of our vendors stayed at the Savoy (circa 2012?) They said it was horrible food.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thought someone hinted at this earlier but True Food Kitchen is going in where P3 was.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCPowercat wrote:Thought someone hinted at this earlier but True Food Kitchen is going in where P3 was.
Link to article confirming.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

True food is great addition for the plaza. Had it in phx a couple times
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

kcjak wrote:Burberry closing - last day is March 24.
That's really unfortunate. Burberry is one of the few nicer stores on the Plaza.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

These are the kind of stores that the plaza needs so this is disheartening.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

KCLover wrote:
Agreed.

Plus recent articles point to the new CEO wanting to move away from areas that are not wealthy. Apparently, he visited all the stores in the US and I'm guessing the Kansas City area is not luxurious enough.

https://news.sky.com/story/burberry-to- ... h-11119247
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LCDSI wrote:
KCLover wrote:
Agreed.

Plus recent articles point to the new CEO wanting to move away from areas that are not wealthy. Apparently, he visited all the stores in the US and I'm guessing the Kansas City area is not luxurious enough.

https://news.sky.com/story/burberry-to- ... h-11119247
Bloody hell.
Now where will i find Megan and Harry tea towels?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

What will ever become of the Plah-Za without our beloved prole drift signifiers. They should open a store there that just sells worry wart cream.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Unbelievable. The Metro Northization of the Plaza continues. And the beat goes on!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So the teen mobs are back on the weekends again. How we get this stopped?

http://www.kmbc.com/article/plaza-emplo ... s/19125539
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:So the teen mobs are back on the weekends again. How we get this stopped?
Convert our government into a military junta.

We can't stop it, we can only provide alternatives that the kids choose over this. They have the right to be there.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm completely against that line of thinking. It's not my responsibility to provide someone else's kids with entertainment options.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

How much more security do they need? Last time I spent any amount of time at the Plaza on a weekend, I was sitting at a bench, talking to my mom while waiting for our movie to start. There were probably 40 cops standing around on one corner, cursing, spitting, and letting their horses crap all over without cleaning it up. I didn't see any masses of kids, but I did see two (black) kids who seemed to already be on their way out of the theater rushed and scolded by a female officer. That atmosphere was so sickening I don't even like to spend time there at all anymore.

The cops or Plaza won't even release anything about what supposedly happened, and the only reports confirmed by video or Police/Plaza authorities are that there are groups of kids walking down the street (who, as flyingember rightly points out, have the right to be there). Further, these stories are also always completely leaving out the racist, exclusionary history of the Plaza/J.C. Nichols/Kansas City, which I think is much more relevant than anyone seems to want to acknowledge.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Time for a KCPD foot patrol unit with a Plaza branch?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I was just wondering has anyone ever really witnessed something like this and would you describe it in the fearful way the media describes it? How do we know the media isn't blowing this out of proportion? There was another article with a person that lives on that plaza in a condo and they said their car was kicked while they were waiting at a stop light and now they are thinking about selling their condo on the plaza. Wonder if the person that had the car kicked was actually way out in the crosswalk, which is something i've actually done to a car that is way out in the crosswalk, it probably happens daily in NYC.

At one point they said the Movie Theater was a problem but i've never ever witnessed it in my life. The bigger problem might be the Cheesecake Factory. It has a huge gathering area outside so something that might look like out of control teens might just be impatient/bored teens waiting to eat food or just loiter so they are getting wild and goofing off so it trickles down to sacred people possibly calling the cops coming out, then the teens scatter once the cops come then the media portrays it as a flash mob/out of control teens
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

yeliab wrote:How much more security do they need? Last time I spent any amount of time at the Plaza on a weekend, I was sitting at a bench, talking to my mom while waiting for our movie to start. There were probably 40 cops standing around on one corner, cursing, spitting, and letting their horses crap all over without cleaning it up. I didn't see any masses of kids, but I did see two (black) kids who seemed to already be on their way out of the theater rushed and scolded by a female officer. That atmosphere was so sickening I don't even like to spend time there at all anymore.

The cops or Plaza won't even release anything about what supposedly happened, and the only reports confirmed by video or Police/Plaza authorities are that there are groups of kids walking down the street (who, as flyingember rightly points out, have the right to be there). Further, these stories are also always completely leaving out the racist, exclusionary history of the Plaza/J.C. Nichols/Kansas City, which I think is much more relevant than anyone seems to want to acknowledge.
I've experienced it first hand and it IS frightening. I avoid the Plaza on Saturday nights and know other people who won't even go after dark on any night because. I live in midtown and would rather deal with a rough crowd in Westport than going to the Plaza on a Saturday night.

The video from last weekend and from what I've seen in person is not simply kids walking down the street peacefully all evening long. There are incidents where people are knocked to the ground. Kids damaging cars by hitting them or walking on the hoods. Shoppers are cursed at. Employees are being assaulted and/or robbed when leaving work. Put additional surveillance cameras around and use that as evidence.