Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling »

Plaza loses luxury watch maker, moving to Leawood...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... awood.html

Plaza had very low vacancy when new owners took over (0.6% Q1/2017, 1.6% Q2, %1.5 Q3 according to CBRE). Now it's about 3%, which is second best in metro but wrong direction.

BTW, downtown now has best/lowest retail vacancy in metro at 2.1%.

https://www.cbre.us/research-results?k=kansas%20city
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

Talbots and Standard Style are now closed. Standard Style is being "rolled" into the new Baldwin Market opening in the 422 Nichols Road spot.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

jbean3535 wrote:Talbots and Standard Style are now closed. Standard Style is being "rolled" into the new Baldwin Market opening in the 422 Nichols Road spot.
I took the Standard Style but to be a positive. Sounds like they are banding more to the Baldwin name and going to open a larger flagship store. Not sure where it would be. Makes sense to put all the clothing stores in the same vicinity.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

As the retail landscape continues to change to more online, it's going to be harder to fill empty stores when they close. I wonder if this will be more local shops, restaurants or entertainment offerings? Interested in hearing what others think should open on the Plaza in an era when retail storefronts are dying?

On a side note, I heard a rumor that Williams Sonoma was closing because Capital Grille (or its parent company) wanted the space when the lease was up. Anyone know if that's true?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Which is why The Plaza may need a more drastic transformation as proposed here...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20330&p=566308&hil ... ge#p566308

Post your ideas in that thread, I'll send to Plaza owners/operators again. I did send to them at time of discussion and got a simple acknowledgement but no feedback of any substance. Will send again if others want to continue posting ideas for some kind of change.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote:As the retail landscape continues to change to more online, it's going to be harder to fill empty stores when they close. I wonder if this will be more local shops, restaurants or entertainment offerings? Interested in hearing what others think should open on the Plaza in an era when retail storefronts are dying?

On a side note, I heard a rumor that Williams Sonoma was closing because Capital Grille (or its parent company) wanted the space when the lease was up. Anyone know if that's true?
Red Lobster!? Olive Garden!?

(RD4L????)
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If Darden wants that location, my gut feeling on what they'd put in there is a Yard House. Every other neighborhood between RM and Waldo has at least one beer bar/restaurant at this point.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

swid wrote:If Darden wants that location, my gut feeling on what they'd put in there is a Yard House. Every other neighborhood between RM and Waldo has at least one beer bar/restaurant at this point.
You wouldn’t consider Tomfooleries or Grand Faloon beer bars? I am surprised there’s no a brewery. New KC Beir Co location?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Tomfooleries and Granfalloon aren't in my semantic map of what a beer bar/restaurant is in the way Yard House, Old Chicago, Flying Saucer, iTap, HopCat, the Foundry, and Bier Station are. That being said, I've only ever been to Granfalloon...once? and my Tomfooleries adventures are invariably for brunch, but still...

I'm sure Plaza rents would be eye-watering for every area brewery save Boulevard, and given that they have their own large hall now, I can't imagine them opening a taproom on the Plaza anytime soon. If Bread & Butter Concepts didn't already have two Plaza restaurants, they'd be a prime candidate for ripping off the taproom trend (possibly via partnering with one of the smaller local breweries). :-)
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

smh wrote:
kcjak wrote:As the retail landscape continues to change to more online, it's going to be harder to fill empty stores when they close. I wonder if this will be more local shops, restaurants or entertainment offerings? Interested in hearing what others think should open on the Plaza in an era when retail storefronts are dying?

(RD4L????)
probably if they've made an offer
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

smh wrote:

(RD4L????)
No! The way to make this post is by saying;

Redlobster? Olive Garden? Maybe Shopko?? Talbots? Williams Sonoma returning? Bloomingdales or Gordmans?? ;-)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

empires228 wrote:
smh wrote:

(RD4L????)
No! The way to make this post is by saying;

Redlobster? Olive Garden? Maybe Shopko?? Talbots? Williams Sonoma returning? Bloomingdales or Gordmans?? ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Not enough typos or references to regional chains selling the exact same things one can readily buy here, but pretty good - that scores an 8.2/10 in my book. :-)
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Gordmans closed. No Shopko or Bloomingdales in area yet same with like Meijer,Yonkers,Boston Store,Johnny Mac's,Sportsmen Wearhouse or so on.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

swid wrote:Not enough typos or references to regional chains selling the exact same things one can readily buy here, but pretty good - that scores an 8.2/10 in my book. :-)
mgsports wrote:Gordmans closed. No Shopko or Bloomingdales in area yet same with like Meijer,Yonkers,Boston Store,Johnny Mac's,Sportsmen Wearhouse or so on.
Yep...that's the stuff.

Time to resurrect this:

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Gordmans closed.
Nope, only half
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote:
Nope, only half
Gord
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
Nope, only half
Unstoppable force meet immovable object.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes but name will change.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »