Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

pash wrote:I wonder how much of the difference between the Plaza's projected price of $1 billion and its actual price of $660 million is due to the Plaza/Midtown plan? :P
So how much of Highwood's plaza area properties were tallied into the original projected price? As I understand it, Highwoods will keep a significant portion of their Plaza area portfolio - namely the office component. It may be that the original projected price included some or all of Highwoods commercial office real estate.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looks like Highwoods plans to leave the Kansas City market--with plans to eventually sell off all its' assets here that weren't part of the Country Club Plaza sale.

http://tinyurl.com/j7ev8rb
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Buh-bye
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Intercontinental Hotel on the Plaza gets loan for renovation
Owners of the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza have secured a $75.1 million first mortgage loan that includes funds for renovation of the hotel.

Opened in 1972 as the Alameda Plaza, the 12-story, 366-room InterContinental, at 401 Ward Parkway, is owned by The Procaccianti Group, or TPG.

http://tinyurl.com/jpvzh43
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Apple and Nike are rumored for Plaza 211. Apple recently applied for a work permit at the site, making it close to confirmed. Details: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 87292.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Apple is in a stupid small store for the plaza.

One good thing is they are very good at historic preservation with their store design.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

On my drive to work yesterday, I noticed a few Block LLC signs on this plot of land.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highwoods owns that parcel, and since they sold off most of their Plaza holdings, I'm not surprised to see them selling it.

I wonder if they will also sell off that vacant parcel along 46th Terrace at Pennsylvania. Do they have signs up on that lot too?
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

hartliss wrote:On my drive to work yesterday, I noticed a few Block LLC signs on this plot of land.

I know some really exciting news for this site. Unfortunately I can't say any details until anything goes public...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

JLowe2018 wrote:
hartliss wrote:On my drive to work yesterday, I noticed a few Block LLC signs on this plot of land.

I know some really exciting news for this site. Unfortunately I can't say any details until anything goes public...
From a few months ago:
kboish wrote:The V-shaped parcel was discussed in committee during the Midtown plan discussion. The representatives of the buyer were at the committee meeting trying to get a height exception for the project they want to develop (similar to the North plaza project I discussed requesting "grandfathered" status earlier). I believe they failed in their exception request. They want to build a high rise apartment building over retail there.

I don't recall if the buyer was mentioned in the committee meeting- so it may be the entity that just closed on the plaza or this may have been parceled out to a separate buyer.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I noticed construction fencing up around these 4 apartment buildings at 45th Terrace and Broadway, just NE of the Plaza. Looks like demolition may be coming:

I really hope this isn't another case of clearing a site without any firm redevelopment plan in place. This seems to keep happening around the plaza - way too many vacant lots right now. I'm not too sad about loosing the two buildings on the east, but the two western buildings could be pretty nice if some work was done to their balconies.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't mind losing the building like those on the east, but I love the smaller buildings on the west - they give character to the Plaza. If these get torn down the only remnants of this building style will be West Plaza on the north end. Sad.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Word is Northpoint is looking to tear down Plaza Medical Building 4620 JC Nichols Parkway (across for Chuy's) and put in either office or residential (I think the latter). A 90 foot building proposed and sounds like they want to go higher if getting new zoning approved.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah. The word is there are half a dozen developments trying to get through the neighborhoods that want more than the recently approved midtown plan allows for. Some interesting decisions ahead for the council.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:Yeah. The word is there are half a dozen developments trying to get through the neighborhoods that want more than the recently approved midtown plan allows for. Some interesting decisions ahead for the council.
seems like a waste to try and fight the area plan (and the neighborhoods), especially when they'll end up asking for incentives.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I was a little surprised to see Slate have an article about the Plaza (even if it's a repost from Atlas Obscura), but...here you go.

Of the 10 comments currently on that article, 3 are about parking. :-(
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

swid wrote:I was a little surprised to see Slate have an article about the Plaza (even if it's a repost from Atlas Obscura), but...here you go.

Of the 10 comments currently on that article, 3 are about parking. :-(
It's a conversation - only one guy is saying parking is an issue. Regardless, when the article is positioning The Plaza as "the first car centric shopping" center in the country, it's only natural a parking conversation will ensue.

I was more confused by the same commenter saying the streets on the plaza were too narrow.....
"Today there's almost no parking, few gas stations that are actually in the Plaza itself, and its narrow streets offer arguably the worst driving experience in the Kansas City metro area."