Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by mgsports »

Moosejaw,Pizza Ranch are up north. Academy Sports and Outdoors has no locations north of Overland Park yet.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

mgsports wrote:Moosejaw,Pizza Ranch are up north. Academy Sports and Outdoors has no locations north of Overland Park yet.
Darn and I was hoping the Plaza would land an actual good place like Pizza Ranch. They need to bulldoze that ugly Cheesecake Factory building and build an Academy Sports and parking lot there. There isn't anywhere to park down there.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes Pizza Ranch Needs to come south of Independence.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

mgsports wrote:Yes Pizza Ranch Needs to come south of Independence.
Best fried chicken in town.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anybody been by the Halls conversion project lately? When's the completion date?

Just wondering how this project is coming? That's always been a somewhat quiet corner of the Plaza and the project, and if done well, and I don't necessarily have much faith in Highwoods doing it well, could really infuse some life into that area. Have there been any announcements regarding the tenants?
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

I was looking at the Halls garage along brush creek this weekend and can't say I am too impressed. Two conflicting styles are at war on the structure now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Plaza Towers apartment building will be upgraded
A nine-story apartment building east of the Country Club Plaza has been bought for $5.2 million by a Chicago investment group that intends to begin a major remodeling in January.

The buyers, represented by Sean Connelly of the real estate firm 33 Realty, have purchased Plaza Towers, an 84-unit brick building at 209 Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. The Plaza Towers, located a half block east of the Plaza area Winstead’s restaurant, has been home to many college students over the years as well as some longtime residents.

The new owners intend to upgrade the apartments to “condo-quality finishes with modern design,” Connelly said.

He said the company expects to end up with one- and two-bedroom apartments that rent for between $945 and $1,200 a month in the fall of 2016.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 41804.html

http://www.northterracepm.com/Plaza_Towers.html

msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Highlander wrote:Anybody been by the Halls conversion project lately? When's the completion date?

Just wondering how this project is coming? That's always been a somewhat quiet corner of the Plaza and the project, and if done well, and I don't necessarily have much faith in Highwoods doing it well, could really infuse some life into that area. Have there been any announcements regarding the tenants?
The Star recently published a pretty comprehensive update on the Plaza, including Plaza 211: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 65960.html

My guess is that leases are still in negotiation. I wouldn't expect to see any retailers open until spring 2016. It's too late to open for the holiday shopping season and mid-January through March is typically a very slow time for retailers.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes, finally.. careful what wishing for but hopefully someone buys who can raise the bar and realized it's in the middle of a neighborhood, not focus on turning into mall/office park.

BTW, not broken yet on other KC media.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Business Journal of Kansas City just reported it.

http://tinyurl.com/oc2ycyl
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KMBC Channel 9 News just reported it on their website.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/highwoods-prop ... e/35583544
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Not sure if this is a case of better the devil you know than the one you don't or if it's something to be hopeful about. Depends on the buyer.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

earthling wrote:^Yes, finally.. careful what wishing for but hopefully someone buys who can raise the bar and realized it's in the middle of a neighborhood, not focus on turning into mall/office park.

BTW, not broken yet on other KC media.
If the new owner puts in a CVS/Walgreens for the surrounding neighborhood, I'll consider the exchange a success...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

We won't know until we see who steps up.

Exciting change. I'm optimistic.

The Plaza has remained far outside Highwoods primary skill set and portfolio structure.

I don't know the top world retailer operators at this moment, but I would like to see it cleverly marketed to operators I have seen in Milan, Buenos Aires, Jerusalem, D.C. , and so on.........
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would hope for a buyer who would respect the existing historic buildings that already exist in the neighborhood. Highwoods does own some undeveloped parcels on the Plaza, and they are on the edge of the property. I would be willing to accept higher-density development of those parcels in a trade-off for protection of the historic buildings by any new buyer.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

So is anyone in the local area even capable of this kind of acquisition? VanTrust (located just south of plaza), North Point, and so on..
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would say VanTrust would be among them. Perhaps even Briarcliff Development (Charles Garney) or James Stowers III of Oxford Creek Capital Management LLC.

It's possible that Highwoods will sell only the retail blocks and hold on to their office properties, and undeveloped land parcels.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Highwoods must have been seriously butt-hurt (I get all the cool language working w/ middle schoolers) w/ the Midtown plan...poor babies. I would love to see more local stores/boutiques and even a drug store of some sort. I also hope that the new owners are mindful of the historic buildings and other aspects that make The Plaza a special place.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

atticus23 wrote:Highwoods must have been seriously butt-hurt (I get all the cool language working w/ middle schoolers) w/ the Midtown plan...poor babies. I would love to see more local stores/boutiques and even a drug store of some sort. I also hope that the new owners are mindful of the historic buildings and other aspects that make The Plaza a special place.
I don't think Highwoods' decision had anything to do with the Midtown Plan. I think it has more to do with repaying debt from acquiring other real estate developments--that will provide a higher yield for them (rents per sq. ft).