Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chrizow »

Glenn Stephenson, Highwoods Properties vice president and division manager, said: “These highly regarded establishments add to the Plaza’s exceptional mix of exclusive boutiques, trendsetting retailers and world-class stores and restaurants.”

:lol:
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

chrizow wrote:Glenn Stephenson, Highwoods Properties vice president and division manager, said: “These highly regarded establishments add to the Plaza’s exceptional mix of exclusive boutiques, trendsetting retailers and world-class stores and restaurants.”

:lol:
I thought, "Like we really need another kitchen store", then realized it was a fast casual Mediterranean restaurant. So basically Zoe Kitchen is a another Panera like place. Hmmmmm.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Underwhelming, mostly. But Barton Perreira is actually pretty cool. Ultra luxurious eyewear that's popular with celebrities.. Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus are a couple of the few retailers that carry the brand.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

A|X Armani Exchange has closed.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 43836.html

Hopefully Highwoods will fill this prime space at 47th and Broadway with something unique to the market.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Or a basic neighborhood service that serves the Plaza residents and hotel visitors... like the drugstore that used to be there. I know...
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

earthling wrote:Or a basic neighborhood service that serves the Plaza residents and hotel visitors... like the drugstore that used to be there. I know...
would Walgreens or CVS pay the higher rent? would a drugstore even be profitable there? if a Beauty Brands works there, a CVS or Walgreens probably could also
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nearly every high rent touristy/entertainment district on the scale of the Plaza (with residential hirises surrounding it) has a CVS or Walgreens (if not a local drugstore).
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

One of Walgreen's flagship stores would be a good fit, I'd think. In the checkout line of the one in Chicago, I was standing behind a guy buying a bottle of Dom Perignon.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would actually put a full sized one NW of 47th and Roanoke and a second, smaller one on the plaza that doesn't do prescriptions.

find a place for the Apple Store to move to on the Plaza and that's exactly the size I'm thinking
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

earthling wrote:Nearly every high rent touristy/entertainment district on the scale of the Plaza (with residential hirises surrounding it) has a CVS or Walgreens (if not a local drugstore).
is that space even big enough for a CVS or Walgreens? could a local drugstore afford the rent? is Highwoods even interested in attracting a drugstore?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highwoods does not acknowledge there are Plaza residents, so no. I've seen many urbane CVS/Walgreens that size on E coast, and Duane Reade's in NYC - much much higher rents than Plaza. They use taller shelves. There used to be a drugstore in Armani Exchange spot and was always busy.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

earthling wrote:Highwoods does not acknowledge there are Plaza residents, so no. I've seen many urbane CVS/Walgreens that size on E coast, and Duane Reade's in NYC. They use taller shelves.
what about a drugstore in the building Block controls?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

When the streetcar gets expanded to the Plaza, I would like to see the tennis center redeveloped as there will likely be a stop right in front of it. I think this would be a great spot for some neighborhood amenity retail, like a drug store and perhaps a Trader Joe's, hopefully with hotel and residential towers above.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:When the streetcar gets expanded to the Plaza, I would like to see the tennis center redeveloped as there will likely be a stop right in front of it. I think this would be a great spot for some neighborhood amenity retail, like a drug store and perhaps a Trader Joe's, hopefully with hotel and residential towers above.
The University of Missouri (not UMKC) used it for one event this past fall. So it's already a big deal tennis setup. You wouldn't see Mizzou driving 2 hours and getting one schools to drive 12 hours (Mississippi State) to play tennis there if it wasn't.

I could see way more value to step up the quality of the courts, put in an innovative enclosure for all season use, maybe even adding a second level of courts elevated above the current courts, and turn it into a nationwide top tier *public* tennis courts in a great urban environment. Couple it with a comprehensive urban bike network on street and on trails across the metro you have a fitness tourism draw. Use it as a loss leader to bring someone that wants activity but doesn't want to go skiing or diving and the associated cost.

for a place to put a building, look at the NW corner of 46th and Wornall. most of that block is under used. even the parking lots don't fill it. look at across from American Century. there's plenty of opportunities that don't involve losing public park space in the urban core
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The tennis courts are on park land if memory is correct.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:When the streetcar gets expanded to the Plaza, I would like to see the tennis center redeveloped as there will likely be a stop right in front of it. I think this would be a great spot for some neighborhood amenity retail, like a drug store and perhaps a Trader Joe's, hopefully with hotel and residential towers above.
Yeah, the Tennis Center seems like such a great piece of real estate that needs to be redeveloped. They should move the tennis center to Theis Park, or maybe move it down Brush Creek like between Ward Park where it splits.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It does appear to be on park land.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I think it's beautiful to have tennis courts there instead of more trashy mall stores. It is the Country Club District after all.

Lets get all those vacant storefronts filled before we worry about tearing out our parks.

There are a ton of empty lots nearby, too.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

A/X Armani Exchange and FooDoo closes on Plaza

Post by justin8216 »

Foodoo the vegetarian “earth grill" that opened last year on the plaza closed along with A/X Armani Exchange and so on...
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

New stores on plaza

Post by justin8216 »

The Coveted Home opening on Plaza but not Crate and Barrell or Ikea because those are in Joco and so on.... wow this is fun :-)

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 73003.html