Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by taxi »

There goes the neighborhood!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

We can only hope for a Ross Dress 4 Less.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:Knowing Highwoods they are trying to push out all tenants so they can tear down the buildings for office space. One thing we can count on is they won't put in a drugstore or anything that caters to the residents.
Drugstore kind of where Jack Henry is would be perfect....feeds Plaza guests, residents, and off highwoods property.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And hotels. First thing I often do after checking in hotel is hit nearby drugstore if one nearby. Yeah, don't count on Highwoods pursuing one, it will have to be on perimeter of Plaza.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Only if it was SHOPKO Pharmacy.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

SHOPKO rocks.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I thought of a simple reason why we won't see basic supplies on the plaza

rent.

once sold and gone private the land value of the plaza buildings require high income businesses to support the taxes
and it will go private to not be a park and not have a conflict of interest with Highwoods

The half of the block that fronts Brookside is worth $1.1 million just for the land (the block is split by the Main St row)
The other half is at $700K

take away the improvements and that's more than the value of the land below the Jackson County Courthouse.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:I thought of a simple reason why we won't see basic supplies on the plaza

rent.

once sold and gone private the land value of the plaza buildings require high income businesses to support the taxes
and it will go private to not be a park and not have a conflict of interest with Highwoods

The half of the block that fronts Brookside is worth $1.1 million just for the land (the block is split by the Main St row)

take away the improvements and that's more than the value of the land below the Jackson County Courthouse.
I don't buy it. Drugstores make it in much higher rent areas like the LV strip.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote:
flyingember wrote:I thought of a simple reason why we won't see basic supplies on the plaza

rent.

I don't buy it. Drugstores make it in much higher rent areas like the LV strip.
Right - with direct access to over 100,000 travelers and hotel employees that have never-ending needs for a drug store.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Coach expanding on Plaza; new tenants in the works
In other Plaza news, sources say Potbelly Sandwich Shop and Teavana also are looking at opening locations on the Plaza this year.

Potbelly specializes in toasted sandwiches, hand-dipped shakes, and made-to-order salads.

Teavana is a specialty retailer of premium loose-leaf teas, artisanal teawares and other tea-related merchandise.
msgsports is now considered "sources"! Congrats!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Country Club Plaza rings up three new tenants

Teavana, Potbelly, and Vera Bradley and so on.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

"Classic American clothier" J. McLaughlin to open in the spring across from Apple.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid= ... 8615492010

http://www.jmclaughlin.com/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCMax wrote:"Classic American clothier" J. McLaughlin to open in the spring across from Apple.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid= ... 8615492010

http://www.jmclaughlin.com/
I hadn't heard of this place til now, so I checked out their website and discovered I'm not really the target demographic for $145 button down dress shirts and $98 embroidered men's swim trunks. Looks like KC will be the furthest west of their locations.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Although I commend Highwoods for at least starting to sign leases opposed to letting things sit there for half a decade like they previously did, their retailing plan is really a mess. It's all over the map (Eddie Bauer next to Burberry, Tumi across from Potbelly Sandwiches, massive Forever 21 anchoring Nichols Road). It's really a bizarre mix that seems barfed out of a super-regional mall.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

trailerkid wrote:Although I commend Highwoods for at least starting to sign leases opposed to letting things sit there for half a decade like they previously did, their retailing plan is really a mess. It's all over the map (Eddie Bauer next to Burberry, Tumi across from Potbelly Sandwiches, massive Forever 21 anchoring Nichols Road). It's really a bizarre mix that seems barfed out of a super-regional mall.
How do you plan to have like retailers next to each other? The openings come up randomly and they're at the mercy of who wants a spot. Most of the signings seem to make sense --- and you don't see Michael Kors and Vera Bradley barfed out of Oak Park mall. There are a lot of complaints on Highwoods but can't blame them for this one. There's an old crappy Walgreens near the finest stores on north Mi Ave in Chicago. There's also a potbelly and Chipotle on Michigan.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Most big retail centers have a plan for what type of tenants go where. I think Highwoods just threw that out the window and started just putting anything where they could fit it. This is good in the sense that spots aren't sitting vacant as long, but unfortunate because the center won't really reach its full potential.

An example would be clustering your higher-end brands next door to each other (MK, Burberry, Tiffany, Tivol, St, John, etc.). This increases the value of the property and makes your center attractive to other high brands looking at the market. If you'll remember originally Marc by Marc Jacobs was negotiating for the space next to Kate Spade and it will now become a Vera Bradley which is a significant downgrade of the space. The Plaza needs better shopping than just all mall retailers which are all coming in droves.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Most big retail centers have a plan for what type of tenants go where. I think Highwoods just threw that out the window and started just putting anything where they could fit it. This is good in the sense that spots aren't sitting vacant as long, but unfortunate because the center won't really reach its full potential.

An example would be clustering your higher-end brands next door to each other (MK, Burberry, Tiffany, Tivol, St, John, etc.). This increases the value of the property and makes your center attractive to other high brands looking at the market. If you'll remember originally Marc by Marc Jacobs was negotiating for the space next to Kate Spade and it will now become a Vera Bradley which is a significant downgrade of the space. The Plaza needs better shopping than just all mall retailers which are all coming in droves.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It's completely unrealistic for a place like the Plaza to designate clusters of businesses as lower-end, high-end, etc. Shopping centers fight for tenants and dictating what section of the Plaza a business can open is shooting itself in the foot. What if Halls closed and that huge space could only be filled with upper end businesses? It makes no sense for it to sit empty waiting for a Saks-style tenant that may never come, while Old Navy (not MY preference) might want to move there.

It's all about traffic, visibility and availability for established centers that weren't built to cluster similar tenants together.