Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chingon »

Well, Tex-Mex is authentically Mexican. I mean, it was invented by Mexicans (who happened to live in America) for Mexicans (who happened to live in America). It is almost always -- to this day -- prepared by Mexicans (as are 75% of all foods in this country). Authentic Mexicans often eat it. It is certainly as "Mexican" as anything Veracruzana. I mean, it's essentially a Northern Mexican and Texan food tradition that has evolved, as all food traditions do, to incorporate new ingredients and preparations and delicious combination(platter)s.

Yes, it's cool to eat a lot of different styles of food. Good on you if you do. But Tex Mex is as authentically Mexican as any other style of Mexican food, even if your white ass is used to and everyone you know has tried it, too. Using the "white people have influenced this" metric, I would challenge you to find one Mexican restaurant in the world that is "authentic", as is, "not heavily influenced by some postcolonial European tradition": traditions like cooking food on metal, or cooking with Asian spices such as cilantro, cumino, cinammon, etc. There are "authentic Mexican" foods that are fusions of lebanese food, Italian food, Chinese food, Navajo food, Mayan food, and yes -- sorry folks -- boring white American food.

TexMex cooking is literally hundreds of years old, and Mexicans have been cooking and consuming it the whole time. It's authentic. Get used to it. Embrace it. It's not our fault wheat flour makes tortillas that are -- objectively, undeniably -- so much better. It's a happy accident.

P.S. - If you opened a Don Chilitos in Mexico City, there'd be a line out the door. (Or there should be.)
Last edited by chingon on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

grovester wrote: & is your friend.
No it is not. Ampersands already have a function in written English, and it is not for sucking all the cleverness out of the previous text.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

chingon wrote: Well, Tex-Mex is authentically Mexican. I mean, it was invented by Mexicans (who happened to live in America) for Mexicans (who happened to live in America). It is almost always -- to this day -- prepared by Mexicans (as are 75% of all foods in this country).
I agree that American Mexican has it's place and I get a cheese buritto fix once in a while.  I also like some counter places like El Rancho in Westport.  However KC has a great deal more of the cheese mex than the lime/cilantro/tomatillo based type stuff.  Many places don't seem to know that cilantro even exists.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ignatius wrote: Many places don't seem to know that cilantro even exists.
i haven't been to don chilito's, but i have yet to find a mex place in KC that won't at least bring you a side of cilantro if you ask for it - even ponak's and margarita's.  if you add cilantro and lime to your plate of cheesy mexican goo, you get the best of all worlds!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The story behind the Plaza's new Mexican restaurant
The Kansas City Star has reported that these partners plan to create a concept similar to Frida's at the Plaza location. But Ridler says that's not exactly right.

"This will be a completely new concept," ...

The yet-unnamed restaurant will open, says Ridler, in late spring.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bahua wrote: No it is not. Ampersands already have a function in written English, and it is not for sucking all the cleverness out of the previous text.
There was no cleverness in the quote!  Half the folks thought smh's taste in mexican food was atrocious, the other half were putting it on their "gotta try" list.  100% of people were confused.  & makes up for lack of vocal inflection.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: There was no cleverness in the quote!  Half the folks thought smh's taste in mexican food was atrocious, the other half were putting it on their "gotta try" list.  100% of people were confused.  & makes up for lack of vocal inflection.
Whoa, whoa, I'm not clever? Perhaps you just don't understand my cleverness.

Oh, just to be clear: &&&&
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You are very clever, you just had an off post!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I hope the food is good. Does the Plaza really need another "hotspot" like Kona or whatever? The whole concept seems remarkably similar to the tenant they replaced-- Mi Cocina.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

trailerkid wrote: I hope the food is good. Does the Plaza really need another "hotspot" like Kona or whatever? The whole concept seems remarkably similar to the tenant they replaced-- Mi Cocina.
I think Mi Cocina did good enough business, it went away for other reasons; the owner's divorce was among them.  I do not believe there is a concept that serves Mexican or SW food on the plaza, it could use that genre particularly if done well. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: Does the Plaza really need another "hotspot" like Kona or whatever?
i believe that Coal Vines is basically the Kona of pizza places as well, so that corner of the plaza may be gaining two "hotspots" soon...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: i believe that Coal Vines is basically the Kona of pizza places as well, so that corner of the plaza may be gaining two "hotspots" soon...
I support this.  With Granfalloon, Kona, and now Coal Vines, Highwoods is creating a duder ghetto along Brush Creek. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

duder?  is that as in dude or dud?  i'd guess the latter.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Now theFrida's owner is talking to the Star saying this will be a serious restaurant and not part of the aforementioned proposed duder ghetto.  :lol:

Sounds like there's infighting among the restaurant partners before the lease has even been signed. That's always a good sign...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Cupcake A La Mode plans move to Country Club Plaza
The move to 4639 Wornall Road will mean a handful of new hires and a larger space for the store, owner Lisa Clark said. The 724-square-foot space, directly across from Houston?s restaurant, is closer to foot traffic as well as a parking garage ? a welcome sight for a business that previously had only a couple of parking spaces to call its own.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Eddie Bauer is moving down the street to a smaller spot next to the new Sur La Table....I hear from an Eddie Bauer employee that part of their old space will be a Marc Jacobs store. This is a big get for the Plaza, Current Marc Jacobs US locations are LA, SF, Vegas, NY, Chicago, Boston, Provincetown, Savannah, and bal harbour, FL.  KC joins an impressive, exclusive list.  Another retailer will take the other half of the space.

The Plaza was absolutely packed today. Great to see...just reminds us what a force for locals and visitors it is.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

That would be pretty major.  That is one of the coolest retail spaces on the Plaza (with its two courtyards.) 
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm really suprised the Plaza doesn't have a Maggiano's Italian restaurant, I actually like Maggiano's a lot.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but a new hair salon on the south plaza recently opened called Knockouts, its very similar to Sport Clips.  It's nice to see a chain like this moving into a non-suburban location.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I noticed the link roundup on the Blog says that "rumor is Eddie Bauer is coming to the Plaza."

For the record, it is already on the Plaza, it is moving down the street to a spot next to Sur la Table. It is no longer a rumor, there is a giant sign up promoting its new location.

I think we at the forum are slipping.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James