Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by AndrewN »

In this retail environment, I would give Highwoods two years to find the right tenants for the empty spaces at least.  There are lots of unique stores that could come to the plaza, but you won't see them exapnding until the economy starts to rebound---Unless Highwoods offered free rent for 2-3 years.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

The Plaza survived the Great Depression, I am certain it will survive this economic slump.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Not like the buildings are going anywhere.  This is just a recession.  Things will get better soon.  Maybe we will have a tough 2009...but the new decade will be better (it better be better!)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

ignatius wrote: Now that the Plaza will have difficulty adding specialty retail, they need to start going for basic retail that serves residents, like a drug store/urban walgreens and/or a market that serves deli items like the old Meiners.  Mix it up, like a real neighborhood.
...like it used to. Pushing out Bruce Smith drugs and the grocer thinking that the high rent, high dollar retail boom would last forever was a major mistake by Highwoods. If they do get a drug store back it will have nowhere neat the unique charm that Bruce Smith's had. You can't just rebuild that in a CVS.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Maybe if they do get a 'drug store' it will be a high end one...not a chain.  That would be better anyway...CVS and the like tend to be kind of trashy
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Midtownkid wrote: Maybe if they do get a 'drug store' it will be a high end one...not a chain.  That would be better anyway...CVS and the like tend to be kind of trashy
a drug store that was also a diner...like Long's in Knoxville, TN
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
cattlemaster
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cattlemaster »

unique charm that Bruce Smith's had

I think most of the unique charm of Bruce Smith's was the architecture and its great magazine rack.  The architecture remains, and Barnes and noble's magazine selection is four times as big across the street.  Service related retailers deserve to be on the Plaza.  There are several hair salons, shoe repair, printing, mailing businesses on the Plaza.  They all have secondary locations and most certainly rents to match.  The landlord has the right maximize the earning potential of their properties.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Why not a place like Wall Drug?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

It would be kick ass for Bruce to return.  They still have a location at Prarie Village Shopping Center, don't they?  I doubt they would want to return though.  If the Plaza forced them out, I would be bitter if I were them.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Why not a place like Wall Drug?
This is the plaza...not some scrubby desert town/tourist trap!  No thanks.  (Well, it may be sort of a tourist trap...but not a tacky one!)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Bruce Smith had the best selection of tschotske souvineers in town.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I've seen way more trashy Walgreens stores than CVS, mself.  CVS seems to fancy itself the Target of drug chains.

Still, I don't see the Plaza putting in anything vaguely pedestrian in that sense, for better or worse.  As I've noted, the presence of the McDonald's sometimes amazes me, especially when I forget how horrible that particular one is and attempt to eat there.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

upscale women's apparel store MAXSTUDIO next to Apple has also closed its only location in the state.
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

shinatoo wrote: ...like it used to. Pushing out Bruce Smith drugs and the grocer thinking that the high rent, high dollar retail boom would last forever was a major mistake by Highwoods. If they do get a drug store back it will have nowhere neat the unique charm that Bruce Smith's had. You can't just rebuild that in a CVS.
Umm---I think it was the JC nichols company that positioned the Plaza to be high-end.  Highwoods has only owned it for the last 6 years and argueably has brought in less exclusive stores to the Plaza under its ownership.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AndrewN wrote: Umm---I think it was the JC nichols company that positioned the Plaza to be high-end.  Highwoods has only owned it for the last 6 years and argueably has brought in less exclusive stores to the Plaza under its ownership.
You, Sir, are correct. It was JC Nichols.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Highwoods has brought in some pretty high end stored too, along w/ not so high end. Tiffany's, Burberry, etc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: Highwoods has brought in some pretty high end stored too, along w/ not so high end. Tiffany's, Burberry, etc
Its always been a mixture of upscale and more everyday stores (which is to be expected, Even the swankiest developments in the world still seem to involve some degree of more mainstream brands like the Gap).  The difference is that when it was Nichols, there was always a mix of local and national tennants - Highwoods has taken it in the direction of almost exclusively national tennants.  I don't really think it is dramatically more or less upscale than when the took it over - just much more nationally recognized brands which probably contributes to some folks impression that it is less "exclusive". 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Did Tumi luggage also close on the Plaza?

Maybe they should move in Forever 21...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

fogo de chao (sp?) has been revealed. anyone know when it's opening?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: fogo de chao (sp?) has been revealed. anyone know when it's opening?
It looked very far along in terms of the interior last week.

I'm not really a fan of creating that large of a restaurant space there, but I'm sure it'll be a big draw like Cheesecake Factory was/is?. I also think the Plaza already has too many chain restaurants. At least this chain isn't absolutely everywhere, but it seems like they came here about 3-4 years late.