Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Broadway

Post by DaveKCMO »

the better block kids will be transforming 40th Terrace and Broadway for a full weekend in october. help 'em out!

https://neighbor.ly/projects/betterblockkc-2014
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

MGE Building Conversion possible...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... rsion.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I would be more excited about this if the proposal wasn't the first multi-family project from the guy who previously owned Indian Springs Mall...that's not a great track record.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At least he's considering adding additional buildings on the block--converting surface parking lots into townhouses, additional multi-family, and a commercial building for a restaurant.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Wow, interesting to read that Laclede has relocated almost every MGE job to STL. I figured that might happen after their acquisition of MGE but don't remember hearing about it. More fuel for the cross-state fire!

Not sure what to make of a conversion of that building until I see more detailed plans. That stretch of Broadway is quiet, but I'd really like to see more modern office space there to be honest. Would be cool to see this building updated like the former Lane building and it's neighbor on Shawnee Mission Parkway in Fairway.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really think that Plasma center needs to be cleaned up if we want to see this stretch of Broadway get cleaned up. I wish someone would buy that place. Also if this happens, maybe the crappy hotel on Linwood and Broadway gets converted to a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn and the Chinese place actually gets torn down or turns into something nice.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Wow, I'm really impressed with this plan and wasn't expecting that at all. A facade change with balconies could potentially make this a good looking building. At this moment I find it horrid. And the best part is the additional structures. Hiding all the parking and adding residential in a variety of forms all around the block, along with retail along Broadway... shoot that is almost perfect. I love it!
brewcrew1000 wrote:I really think that Plasma center needs to be cleaned up if we want to see this stretch of Broadway get cleaned up. I wish someone would buy that place. Also if this happens, maybe the crappy hotel on Linwood and Broadway gets converted to a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn and the Chinese place actually gets torn down or turns into something nice.
Nah man that Chinese place is great. I love Sheng! And the building is pretty cool too. It should stay fo sho.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's actually a pretty decent looking building. Definitely one of the more attractive in that stretch of Broadway. I'd hate to see the facade ripped off. That's something we'll probably regret in the next decade or so. Has MAC released renderings of how they are renovating the old Housing Authority building on Armour? That's a similar building in terms of age, aesthetics, original use, etc.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

chaglang wrote:It's actually a pretty decent looking building. Definitely one of the more attractive in that stretch of Broadway. I'd hate to see the facade ripped off. That's something we'll probably regret in the next decade or so. Has MAC released renderings of how they are renovating the old Housing Authority building on Armour? That's a similar building in terms of age, aesthetics, original use, etc.
You think so? I guess I just really don't like this style of architecture. Some people will claim we need to keep examples from this period of development, and that makes sense. I just can't find the beauty in these buildings.

I'm sure you're right though. We may regret tearing down or redesigning these buildings some day.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

So I was messing around with some potential plans for this site on sketch-up and started to realize that the plan they had stated in the article would eliminate all potential for parking (or so I thought). The site seemed way too small to house everything they wanted without parking (which seemed awesome to me, but unrealistic). I did not realize that the site they are working on extends all the way to Pennsylvania. So the rowhomes would not go on Washington right behind the MGE building like I originally thought. They would go on the other side of the other parking lot. And then the multi-family buildings they want to add would most likely go literally in between these, facing Washington Street.

So after realizing all this, I see that this won't be as complete a block as I originally thought, unless they decide to do away with Washington Street. There will probably be parking lots up to the street in more than one occasion in this plan.

I say get rid of Washington (it's only a one block long street here anyway) and turn it into an alleyway. I'm usually not a fan of making larger blocks. Small blocks are usually the way to go. However, in this situation I would say make it one big one. That way you can build houses, apartments, and retail facing every street in this development. You could easily design it so that there is no exposed parking. The alley (Washington St.) would lead into the heart of the big block, which would now be one large parking lot for the whole development. All of the new buildings would be along the edges of the block.

The only real problem I see is the one house on Washington St. that still remains. If you can't get control of it and demo the house, I say just leave it there. I think it could still fit in just fine since it is near the edge of the site.

Can't wait to see their design.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

looks like Washington exists there to make it easier to park, removing it isn't a bad idea if it means a more substantial project
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

not sure if the proposed broadway CID has been mentioned, but it's in the works. unfortunately, it's only a sales tax (which puts the burden on shoppers instead of property owners, who see the biggest gain). here's an old mention from the midtown post: http://midtownkcpost.com/broadway-cid-taking-shape/
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

From the upcoming City Commission Plan Docket:
Case No. 594-S-2 – About 12 acres generally bounded by W. 34th Street on the
north, W. 36th Street on the south, Wyandotte Street on the east and Pennsylvania
Avenue on the west, to consider approval of the Second Amended and Restated
Ellison/Knickerbocker PIEA General Development Plan, and declare the area
blighted and insanitary and in need of redevelopment and rehabilitation pursuant to
the Missouri Planned Industrial Expansion Authority (PIEA) Law 100.300-100.620.
Applicant: Planned Industrial Expansion Authority, Al Figuly
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Wow! Can't wait to see what comes from this.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

What the what?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

huh. there's a lot of homes in that square. the KC Life building is there. weird boundary
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yeah, it really needed to go from 36th to 39th instead.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the thing on the city docket has to do with the redevelopment of the Missouri Gas Energy building and adjacent parcels. The developer wants to convert the office building into apartments, and build additional apartment buildings, townhomes, and commercial space on the parking lots.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... along.html

This project looks pretty interesting.
The developer of the project, Los Angeles real estate investor Joseph Kashani, also plans construction of a 16,000-square-foot retail/office building immediately south of the MGE Building, two 54-unit apartment buildings along Washington Street and 20 townhomes along Pennsylvania Avenue...

86 two-bedroom/two-bath units and 15 three-bedroom/three-bath units...

The new two-story commercial building south of the MGE Building will be suitable for a restaurant with sidewalk cafe space, a coffee shop and boutique retailers. The second story is expected to house offices and services, and rooftop garden space may be made available for additional restaurant use...

According to plans for the project, which is being designed by Kansas City firm B&A Architecture, the two new apartment buildings will be four to five stories high with their own amenities. Plans call for a water feature, swimming pool, clubhouse, fitness center, decks or patios, and enclosed parking.
The townhomes that will take the space of surface parking along Pennsylvania Avenue will include two- and three-bedroom units with enclosed parking.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I love it. 500+ new residents in the urban core. A development like this would go a long way toward helping get the area cleaned up and encourage pedestrian activity in what is now a huge dead spot. Cue the opposition from Valentine NA.