OFFICIAL - 46 Penn Centre

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL - 46 Penn Centre

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Am OK with TIF aided parking as long as it includes totally free public parking as well. But there also must be an overall public benefit of project if using TIF and the Plaza doesn't need more office space, especially given all the open office space downtown. The Plaza (and central KCMO) needs more residential projects.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCPowercat wrote:
While I agree, find me a really special 12 story building anymore.
Here's a 10 story that I'm rather fond of (although I can't imagine the amount of freaking out it this was purposed for anywhere near the Plaza):

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I really prefer the stark modernist glass against the old brick and mortar look like you see in Europe. The glass condo building at 46th and Broadway is a nice contrast to the brick condos on the south side.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

$78M Plaza office tower wins incentives after negotiations
Developed by a partnership led by Block Real Estate Services LLC, the project will include eight stories of Class A office space over a six-story parking garage at 46th Terrace and Pennsylvania Avenue. The site is currently occupied by the Victory Court Apartments, nine rundown buildings constructed in the 1940s that will be demolished to make way for the new office tower.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Happy to see this move forward, but I agree with some of the prior posts about the design.

At the least, I'd like to see a nice contemporary glass and steel design that could quietly contrast with the surrounding buildings, at best something truly eye-catching like the frosted glass of the Manhattan building above.

Would prefer not to get another office-park cube, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by Plaza Vista overall so I'll withhold judgement for now.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Subscribed!
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Some updates, renderings, and video.
On the Missouri side, BRES is planning a fall groundbreaking for 46 Penn Centre, a $78 million tower on the Country Club Plaza that will include eight stories of office space over six levels of parking.
KCBJ Article | New Renderings | Promotional Video

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Surprising this is moving forward with no tenant lined up. Downtown still has 20% Class A space available, typically spec building isn't considered for the area until below 12% vacancy.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The Plaza doesn't really compete with downtown, it more competes with College Blvd. Look at how many places leave downtown for the Plaza

Think about places south of the Plaza in terms of jobs access to. Working on the Plaza is just as east as College Blvd for people in Waldo, Prairie Village, northern Leawood and such. It's the closest business center to ritzy Mission Hills.

It's a reasonable destination to grab people coming from Lee's Summit and Belton. The turn down Volker isn't that bad a distance compared to going downtown.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote:The Plaza doesn't really compete with downtown, it more competes with College Blvd. Look at how many places leave downtown for the Plaza

Think about places south of the Plaza in terms of jobs access to. Working on the Plaza is just as east as College Blvd for people in Waldo, Prairie Village, northern Leawood and such. It's the closest business center to ritzy Mission Hills.

It's a reasonable destination to grab people coming from Lee's Summit and Belton. The turn down Volker isn't that bad a distance compared to going downtown.
There was just an article in the Star that said the vacancy created by Posenelli moving to their own building on the Plaza has already been filled. And by two companies moving in from leawood KS.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Block is finalizing the loan on the property, and expects to kick off construction in April.
Apparently this project isn't dead: http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/how- ... -landscape
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Anyone know of any updates on this project? I thought the latest I had read said a groundbreaking in April.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Unfortunately, it's being developed by a KC company. That means delay after delay after delay. You want something built around here, you have to bring in an out-of-town developer. They seem to have the ability go get things done.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Here is the last published article on the project: http://kcur.org/post/kansas-city-author ... laza-tower
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... first.html
Scheduled to open early in 2020, the 14-story 46 Penn Centre tower at 4622 Pennsylvania Ave. will be the first multitenant office building completed in the Country Club Plaza area since the 11-story Plaza Colonnade opened in 2005. As such, the developers are going to extra lengths to make the $93 million project stand out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

so why can this 14 story bldg go up but 13 and 10 stories down the street raise hell and get chopped to 8 each? Something's not right.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

missingkc wrote:so why can this 14 story bldg go up but 13 and 10 stories down the street raise hell and get chopped to 8 each? Something's not right.
Cause old people.